First real trip with google maps navigation

jdubbya

Reaction score
Ive had several windshield mount navs, a Pioneer Avic-X910BT, this was my first real trip trying out the navigation on the Moto Droid.

Bottom line, I LOVED it! Being able to enter destinations by saying "Navigate to Ihop in Bremerton....etc. Awesome. Saved my at least 5-10 minutes each time by not having to look up and peck out the addresses. Heck, I didnt even know the addresses to any of the places I went to. Dont get me started on how long it takes to do a POI search on any of the devices Ive tried so far.

Voice commands and input were flawless, destinations were always the first result that popped up in the list after giving the navigate command. In bigger cities, the street view of the building would pop up as you get close.

Ive never had any of my nav systems tell me that the destination was on the left or right. :icon_ banana:

Works great even while running Pandora in the background.

Reaction score
That's pretty awesome that it pops up the street view of the building! I still think it's hilarious that Google has the best maps and Garmin has to buy them off of Google.. too funny!

Droidlicous

Reaction score
Good to know, unfortunately I haven't had the chance to really use it. I used it back when the Droid first came out from Utah to Arizona and it was dead on...

78racing

Reaction score
I used navigation last week, we needed to see if there was a shorter way to get where we were going. Worked flawless and saved me time; wife sat in the passenger seat with total disbelief. She kept saying "how does it know that". Too Funny; this is the Greatest device(phone) I have ever owned.

MinConst

Reaction score
Yea navigation sure beats my Garmin. I've used it many times for calls and estimates. I must say I havent even tried voice commands for navigation. But I will next time.

justbob

Reaction score
Google Navigation rocks!

It's living proof that it's not so much the hardware platform that makes smart phone great It's computing power and the network that supports it.

'Nuff said.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Any issues with Data Roaming? Because...It has issues loading up maps if you get lost and you're roaming...

But then, someone posted a claimed letter from a VZW rep saying that if your phone says "Extended Network," you don't incur any roaming charges. But I'm a bit worried about activating data roaming [as you can do when the little icon pops up in the status bar]...

Other than that, I totally agree. It kicks a**!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Really used it the other day when I kind of got lost. I knew the general direction but I wasn't quite sure. I pulled over and grabbed the text message that was sent to me for the address I needed to go to, pressed on the address part (handcent) and up popped navigation options. Soon I had the vocal navigation going and it took me right where I needed to go and I definitely would have missed the street had it not told me 500 ft ahead.

Droid is just so cool.

knotbeerdan

Reaction score
Any issues with Data Roaming? Because...It has issues loading up maps if you get lost and you're roaming...

But then, someone posted a claimed letter from a VZW rep saying that if your phone says "Extended Network," you don't incur any roaming charges. But I'm a bit worried about activating data roaming [as you can do when the little icon pops up in the status bar]...

Other than that, I totally agree. It kicks a**!

I have been with verizon for the last 7-8 years and never once have i incurred data roaming charges. Im not sure who is spreading this false info but one of the main reasons i have stuck with verizon for so long is the fact that they never charge roaming fees

zakany

Reaction score
The only thing I miss using my Droid instead of my Garmin are the voices. I want sexy Karen to talk to me through my phone. Voice navigation is more than a toy; it's a much more efficient way to tell the device where to take me.

Papasmurf

Reaction score
I use it all the time just to use it. One of the many perks to get this phone was the free NAV for some. Thats how I conviced my wife she should get one because she could care less about the other stuff I told her. Now she loves everything about the phone because the NAV attracted her. Its even better that the thing IS awesome and dead on. Go Google!

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I have been with verizon for the last 7-8 years and never once have i incurred data roaming charges. Im not sure who is spreading this false info but one of the main reasons i have stuck with verizon for so long is the fact that they never charge roaming fees

Thanks for the reply! I know that T-mobile didn't charge for roaming at all, whether you were in an extended network, or out of their network altogether and on some random [small-town, po-dunk, boondocks] network, but it scared me when the warning came up about data roaming and when I clicked to enable it, another warning popped up that I might incur extra costs... Guess I could always just drive out into the sticks and enable it for just a little while and see if anything shows up on the bill...

I saw that someone mentioned caching maps on another thread and asked how that was done, but no one ever answered me. Anyone know anything about that just in case?

gruve

Reaction score
I used the GPS on my Droid last night for the first time since I let my sister use my Tomtom. It was dead on accurate. The voice is annoying though.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
As noted on another thread, I was very surprised to arrive home a few weeks ago to find that my Droid displayed a photo of my house with the car I was driving in the driveway.