First Dual-Core Snapdragons Are Shipping... Where to?

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
rsz_1thumb.jpg

As Motorola readies their newest headset based on the TI OMAP 3640 (the Droid X), Qualcomm has just begun shipping its dual-core Snapdragon processors to its hardware partners.

Qualcomm's MSM8260 and MSM8660 are the first dual-core Snapdragon processors, and we expect to see them in phones starting in late 2010. Each core is rumored to run at 1.2ghz under a 45nm process, setting the stage for some serious power for the next generation smartphone. The new processors will have the ability to utilize HSPA+ (T-Mobile's high-speed 3G), playback and encode 1080p video, and support 1280x800 WVGA displays, as well as perhaps support a more powerful GPU (compared tothe AMD z430 found in current Snapdragon chipsets)

AndroidandMe.com believes that HTC may see these chips first, as it had first dibs on the Snapdragons for their Nexus One. This is as good a speculation as any, considering HTC's top competitor Motorola has seemed to ally itself with Texas Instruments, and have yet to use a Qualcomm CPU in its latest smartphones.

Will we see this in the newest rumored smartphone, the HTC Sabor? Or does this have something to do with T-Mobile's Project Emerald? We'll just have to wait and see.

Interesting to note here, there is no mention of 4G (LTE or WiMax) support on these CPUs, which will lend to the notion we may see these first chips in a T-Mobile smartphone.

Also remember, Motorola's CEO Sanjay Jha has anticipates a 2ghz Motorola phone by the end of 2010.

More specifics about the upcoming Dual-Core Snapdragons (thanks to Androidandme.com):

The MSM8260 and MSM8660 solutions for mobile handsets deliver a new level of mobile multimedia performance, including:

• Scorpion 1.2 GHz processor and 600 MHz DSP for high levels of web application and multimedia performance
  • Support for innovative 3D/2D user interfaces and console-quality gaming via dedicated, high-performance graphics engines
  • 16 megapixel camera
  • Full 1080p HD video playback and recording
  • Support for DTS/Dolby 5.1 surround sound
  • Integrated Assisted-GPS, including support for Glonass satellite services
  • Support for stunning 24-bit WXGA (1280 x 800) displays
  • 45nm process technology for ultra-low power consumption
So, what do you guys think? Will HTC see these chips first, and if so, are they one-upping Motorola and other Android handset makers here? T-Mobile going to get serious about Android? Let us know!

Source: AndroidandMe.com

Here's the original Qualcomm Press Release: http://www.qualcomm.com/news/releases/2010/06/01/qualcomm-ships-first-dual-cpu-snapdragon-chipset

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Very nice but I don't really see a point in having such power until we actually have some games that need it...I think phones using the 1 ghz TI Omap should be plenty fast enough.

Aybara

Reaction score
Extra power will draw the developers to create the games for it. This is very exciting hearing the envelope being pushed for mobile chips. This will allow for some very interesting phones in the future.

Dual processor chips on a phone?!!? Definitely sick!

OP
W

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Very nice but I don't really see a point in having such power until we actually have some games that need it...I think phones using the 1 ghz TI Omap should be plenty fast enough.

Well think past gaming. These cpus have very low power consumption, will have 1080p playback, and support higher res and more vibrant screens. You will start seeing these cpus in netbooks/smartbooks/tablets that will eventually be as poweful as our current desktop PCs...

junpar

Reaction score
And the battery life will be... 10 minutes talk time? Yeah. that's PLENTY of time.. I don't have to worry about making calls on the go or anything. As long as I have a super fast phone... right?

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Since the Snapdragon were pushing 1Ghz first vs. the OMAP's, I can see HTC coming with dual core first.

It should make for some amazing phones at the end of the year. Whoever doesnt get the X now....dont feel bad...LOL!!!

goldenu

Reaction score
Dual-core cpu

Been doing that for a while:

CPU: The MSM7200A (PVT32A) or MSM7201A (PVT32B) is an ARM-based, dual-core CPU/GPU from Qualcomm and contains many built-in features, including 3G and a GPU capable of up to 4 million triangles/sec. It has hardware acceleration for Java, but this does not accelerate execution of Android applications, as they are targeted to the Dalvik VM, not the Java VM.

I've had variants of the MSM7200 in my last three phones.

OP
W

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score

Been doing that for a while:

CPU: The MSM7200A (PVT32A) or MSM7201A (PVT32B) is an ARM-based, dual-core CPU/GPU from Qualcomm and contains many built-in features, including 3G and a GPU capable of up to 4 million triangles/sec. It has hardware acceleration for Java, but this does not accelerate execution of Android applications, as they are targeted to the Dalvik VM, not the Java VM.

I've had variants of the MSM7200 in my last three phones.

the dual-core snapdragons will be dual cpu + gpu (not single cpu + gpu)

Yodes

Reaction score
And the battery life will be... 10 minutes talk time? Yeah. that's PLENTY of time.. I don't have to worry about making calls on the go or anything. As long as I have a super fast phone... right?

Not even the case the power consumption is actually quite low.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

J

Johnly

Omap 4 processors are dual core too, and they can run a HD 1080dlp TV, a projecter, and HR phone screen at the same time...They have a nice demo video. This reminds me of the amd intel WARS!! I guess we will benefit the most, and as we demand more from our devices, having a dual core is just good geek:) Isn't Verizon getting another hot HTC device? Maybe that is the one with the dragon duel core?

Phoxus

Reaction score
THE DROIDX IS NOT ON THE OMAP 3630

EVERYONE NEEDS TO REALIZE THIS.

OMAP3640 - 1 GHz ARM Cortex A8 + PowerVR SGX530 GPU + 430 MHz C64x+ DSP + ISP (Image Signal Processor)

OMAP3630 - 720 MHz ARM Cortex A8 + PowerVR SGX530 GPU + 430 MHz C64x+ DSP + ISP (Image Signal Processor)

Sorry to sound ANAL!

J

Johnly

THE DROIDX IS NOT ON THE OMAP 3630

EVERYONE NEEDS TO REALIZE THIS.

OMAP3640 - 1 GHz ARM Cortex A8 + PowerVR SGX530 GPU + 430 MHz C64x+ DSP + ISP (Image Signal Processor)

OMAP3630 - 720 MHz ARM Cortex A8 + PowerVR SGX530 GPU + 430 MHz C64x+ DSP + ISP (Image Signal Processor)

Sorry to sound ANAL!
Good catch, PM Wayne and let him update his OP.