figured out how to set ringtone for sms not notifications

thevorlon

Reaction score
I've found that many of us have been wanting to change our text (sms) sound only to find that it only affects notifications. and our sms stays at default. I've broken it down to 2 parts. alas here is what you do:

1.from the home screen tap on messages, then tap your dedicated menu button. then tap settings. then scroll down to select sound at the bottom of the screen. from there you can select from your various notifications sounds.

now if you don't know how to add your own customized tones to that list. here's how.

2.find whatever sound you desire from the internet or whatever (I wanted that cool "DROID" robot voice thing as mine) then mount your phone to your computer. open the file that says media. then under that select audio. from that you'll see a notifications folder. all you have to is click and drag your music file from your desktop to that notifications folder. then go back to part one and your look for your file in the list.

Ern3

Reaction score
Or, you can get an apparently in the marketcalled Missed Call..

This app will allow you to set a SMS sound, and select color of LED flash, and Vibrate duration. Also other settings for LED control and sounds when you get and miss a call.

-ern

OP
T

thevorlon

Reaction score
yeah, once you get to the "settings" under your messages. theres 3 headings 1.sms settings 2. mms settings 3. notification settings (these are for sms) thats where the "select sound" option is

jimmerz

Reaction score
I did all that and I can not see any of the files that I placed in the folder. Do these files have to be a certain size?

hockeymack17

Reaction score
some how a sound i downloaded with "mabilo ringtones" made its way into my sound's list. However it is not one i want to use. I have not hooked it up to the computer or did anythying special its just there? Anyone have an idea how it got there and how to put other's there?

actualy i figured it out as soon as you set it as a notification it will automaticly go onto the list but i still dont think what was described will change the text sound the change sound is still under notifications...

posey46

Reaction score
Just tried the instructions originally posted and I didn't have a folder called Media. I created one to follow what you listed and that still didn't work......

bionicback

Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]I have been struggling with the same problem and here’s what I've come up with. On your SD card you need a folder named Media ( not sure if the "M" needs to be capitalized, but it is on my phone ) in that folder make one named audio, and in that one make a folder named notifications. The directory tree looks like this: ( note: the drive letter on my PC for my phone is "J" so that’s what I'll use.)

J: Media
_______audio
___________notifications

Once this directory structure is in place you can put the mp3 files that you want to use in the notifications folder. You need to rename your mp3 files so that they look like this:.....myfileNotification.mp3.....Do this for every mp3 file that you want to use and they will show up in the list with all the other factory sounds. Hope this helps.

[/FONT]

abeautiful

Reaction score
I do not own or have acess to a computer. But. Have been introduced to the ASTRO app found in the market. From there you can move files and such. Anyway, i move all my ringtones to the zedge file so when I choose sms ringtone from setings all my ringtones will be in zedge, which is one of the options to choose from. Sry my computer lingo isn't very detailed , none the less I hope. This helps.

kevinmthibodeau

Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]I have been struggling with the same problem and here’s what I've come up with. On your SD card you need a folder named Media ( not sure if the "M" needs to be capitalized, but it is on my phone ) in that folder make one named audio, and in that one make a folder named notifications. The directory tree looks like this: ( note: the drive letter on my PC for my phone is "J" so that’s what I'll use.)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]J: Media[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]_______audio[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]___________notifications[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Once this directory structure is in place you can put the mp3 files that you want to use in the notifications folder. You need to rename your mp3 files so that they look like this:.....myfileNotification.mp3.....Do this for every mp3 file that you want to use and they will show up in the list with all the other factory sounds. Hope this helps.[/FONT]
Tryd this isnt working....?

cheesecake

Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]I have been struggling with the same problem and here’s what I've come up with. On your SD card you need a folder named Media ( not sure if the "M" needs to be capitalized, but it is on my phone ) in that folder make one named audio, and in that one make a folder named notifications. The directory tree looks like this: ( note: the drive letter on my PC for my phone is "J" so that’s what I'll use.)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]J: Media[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]_______audio[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]___________notifications[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Once this directory structure is in place you can put the mp3 files that you want to use in the notifications folder. You need to rename your mp3 files so that they look like this:.....myfileNotification.mp3.....Do this for every mp3 file that you want to use and they will show up in the list with all the other factory sounds. Hope this helps.[/FONT]
Tryd this isnt working....?

worked perfect for me! woot....i was trying to do this forever.

edit: I didn't change them to blahnotification.mp3 though.

izak

Reaction score
sms custom ringtone

Thanks a lot for this answer,i never go to that sms set. menu so far!:icon_ lala: