Feedback on AMOLED to “Super TFT”

rsarno

Reaction score
I am reading about HTC switching to the “Super TFT” for the Incredible in order to meet demands.

Can anyone chime in with hands-on experience with the differences? Will there be a noticeable difference in quality, or in direct sunlight?

Thanks, any feedback would be great

Durango_Boy

Reaction score
I am reading about HTC switching to the “Super TFT” for the Incredible in order to meet demands.

Can anyone chime in with hands-on experience with the differences? Will there be a noticeable difference in quality, or in direct sunlight?

Thanks, any feedback would be great

Sadly I think the Super AMOLED is the better of the two options. Problem is that Samsung, who makes those displays, is pulling them from all non-Samsung phones. It's a highly specific display that would be hard to legally make another way.

Hence Super TFT. It'll be very close to the Super AMOLED display, but it won't have the same direct sunlight capability due to the extra layers in the design of the display.

I don't think it'll be something we'll be disappointed with.

mach330

Reaction score
what is the diff on the super TFT vs regular LCD's (not the AMOLED)? are any phones using super TFT?

NickF

Reaction score
AMOLED screens don't require a backlight and are therefore much thinner and more power efficient than standard TFT-LCD designs. Samsung's panels offer great brightness and clarity, even in sunlight. Now, I'm not sure what exact panels HTC has chosen as a successor. However, I'm sure picture quality might not be drastically changed, but it will certainly use more power and will more than likely make the phone a bit thicker because of the required back-lighting, even if they use low power LEDs to do so.

kmo

Reaction score
Most won't know the difference between the two.

NickF

Reaction score
Sure, but the educated power users that this forum tailors to will be left in the dark.

zMd113

Reaction score
The only difference I notice is when I'm outside and I can see what's on the screen without putting my hand over it to see. I actually do that sometimes out of habit but I really don't need too lol. Other than that I can't tell any difference.

kmo

Reaction score
Sure, but the educated power users that this forum tailors to will be left in the dark.
Is there really a big difference in battery drain between the two? I don't think so, amoled might be more efficient but I doubt it's significant.

Ironric75

Reaction score
Hey guys Im new to this forum but i can with 90% percent certainty confirm your fears that the incredible has switched to super tft screens. I recived a replacement phone today from verizon, because my speaker blew out on my old one. When i started up the new phone i noticed the display looked different i promptly put my battery back in my old phone to confirm this and the difference is quite noticeable.In the short time that i used the new phone i noticed this difference is most obvious in the slide to unlock screen and when you bring up the keyboard.where on my original phone the slide to unlock was a rich black on the new phone its a light gray the new screen is comparable to the htc hero screen. needless to say Im going to a Verizon store to confront them about this. If Im getting a downgraded phone i want some kind of compensation because the beautiful aomled screen was the tipping point for me. If Verizon refuses to come to a deal with me, Im torn between keeping my current phone with the aomled and a blown speak(it still works but sounds distorted) or making the change and sticking with the tft display. its a tough call

2010 ZR1

Reaction score
Hey guys Im new to this forum but i can with 90% percent certainty confirm your fears that the incredible has switched to super tft screens. I recived a replacement phone today from verizon, because my speaker blew out on my old one. When i started up the new phone i noticed the display looked different i promptly put my battery back in my old phone to confirm this and the difference is quite noticeable.In the short time that i used the new phone i noticed this difference is most obvious in the slide to unlock screen and when you bring up the keyboard.where on my original phone the slide to unlock was a rich black on the new phone its a light gray the new screen is comparable to the htc hero screen. needless to say Im going to a Verizon store to confront them about this. If Im getting a downgraded phone i want some kind of compensation because the beautiful aomled screen was the tipping point for me. If Verizon refuses to come to a deal with me, Im torn between keeping my current phone with the aomled and a blown speak(it still works but sounds distorted) or making the change and sticking with the tft display. its a tough call

If the screen is the main reason you bought the phone, you may be interested in one of the new Samsung phones that have S-AMOLED screens. Just because the blacks aren't 100% black doesn't mean you have to throw a fit. You might be able though, to request that they put you on a 30 day waiting list again to get a phone where things that black are a deep black, instead of just black.

Ironric75

Reaction score

If the screen is the main reason you bought the phone, you may be interested in one of the new Samsung phones that have S-AMOLED screens. Just because the blacks aren't 100% black doesn't mean you have to throw a fit. You might be able though, to request that they put you on a 30 day waiting list again to get a phone where things that black are a deep black, instead of just black.

Really? That's good news I haven't heard of this list is it through HTC or Verizon ? If you can give me some info on it that'd be great 30 days is totally worth it for deep black colors

R

RETG

Is there really a big difference in battery drain between the two? I don't think so, amoled might be more efficient but I doubt it's significant.

For blacks and color, they will consume less power than a LCD; however, when displaying white, they actually consume more power than a LCD. Therefoe, overall, there is a small advantage.