FCC slaps VZW. Teathering apps will be back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonik

Reaction score
I don't see this info here yet, and it is awesome. The free spectrum aurgument worked. FCC hit VZW for 1.25 million and told them to stop blocking teathering apps.

FCC to Verizon: Don’t block tethering apps. Verizon settles for $1.25M — Mobile Technology News

And from the FCC's posted ruling: "Verizon Wireless offers customers its 4G LTE service on C Block spectrum. Verizon Wireless bid at
auction to acquire that spectrum, understanding that it was accompanied by open device and application
obligations. Specifically, licensees offering service on C Block spectrum “shall not deny, limit, or restrict
the ability of their customers to use the devices and applications of their choice on the licensee’s C Block
network...."

It says DEVICES of our choice. Unlocked bootloaders here we come!!

http://www.fcc.gov/document/verizon-wireless-pay-125-million-settle-investigation

Last edited:

vatothe0

Reaction score
"Slaps"? $1.25M is less than 20% of the CEO 's bonus. I guess it's a good result but your title is a bit of hyperbole.

OP
T

Tonik

Reaction score
"Slaps"? $1.25M is less than 20% of the CEO 's bonus. I guess it's a good result but your title is a bit of hyperbole.

I'm good with slap. "A slap or "smack" is a broad stroke made with the open hand or the back of the hand, as opposed to a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punch_(combat)punch that is made with a closed fist." If it had been 100 million I would have said punch or smacked down. But your point that it is a nothing fine is certainly valid. Keep in mind that is VZW's proposal on a settlement, the FCC has not accepted it yet. But I imagine they will. The important part is it forces compliance, education in the corporation and reporting of said compliance.

Status
Not open for further replies.