Favorite drink recipe / bartender app?

Ghostwheel

Reaction score
I'm looking for a good free app for quick reference to classic drink recipes.

I tried 10001 Cocktails - it looks like crap.

I tried Bartender, but allowing user submissions and edits really dilutes the usefulness - as well as pissing me off by listing the ingredients of a dirty martini as "vodka and olive juice" - it's GIN, VERMOUTH, and olive juice, dammit! The drink they list would be a dry dirty vodka martini.

Any other suggestions? I wish I could just digitize my 1973 print of Trader Vic's Bartenders Guide...

aliceburnham

Reaction score
Did you ever find an app that you liked? I just installed and uninstalled 10001 cocktails in a matter of hours.

OP
Ghostwheel

Ghostwheel

Reaction score
Did you ever find an app that you liked? I just installed and uninstalled 10001 cocktails in a matter of hours.

Never did, but I haven't really looked around much since I made that post. Thanks for the reminder, maybe it's time to look around again.

ShadowDroid

Reaction score
I use the app called Drinks.....it has worked well for me so far....also have Bartender just in case.

irish22022

Reaction score

I tried Bartender, but allowing user submissions and edits really dilutes the usefulness - as well as pissing me off by listing the ingredients of a dirty martini as "vodka and olive juice" - it's GIN, VERMOUTH, and olive juice, dammit! The drink they list would be a dry dirty vodka martini.

Any other suggestions? I wish I could just digitize my 1973 print of Trader Vic's Bartenders Guide...

... It's definitely gin OR vodka, depending on the preference. Just because it's dirty, doesn't mean it's only Gin. The recipe they listed is wrong regardless, what they have listed is an extra dry dirty martini (extra dry meaning no vermouth)

Anyway, I downloaded "drinks". A lot of recipes, and most of them are good enough. They have a lot of drinks with multiple recipes so you can find the one you like, though the navigating isn't the greatest.

OP
Ghostwheel

Ghostwheel

Reaction score

... It's definitely gin OR vodka, depending on the preference. Just because it's dirty, doesn't mean it's only Gin. The recipe they listed is wrong regardless, what they have listed is an extra dry dirty martini (extra dry meaning no vermouth)

Anyway, I downloaded "drinks". A lot of recipes, and most of them are good enough. They have a lot of drinks with multiple recipes so you can find the one you like, though the navigating isn't the greatest.

It's not gin or vodka, the "dirty" in only in reference to the added olive juice. Martini implies gin as part of its definition. If you want it with vodka, it's a Vodka Martini. "Gin Martini" is redundant, like "VIN number," or "ATM machine."

That aside, I've given up on finding a good bartending app. All the drinks I like, I already know how to make. There's no need for me to carry around a list of every purple-monkey-ass-tini that people can come up with. :D

pragmar

Reaction score
That aside, I've given up on finding a good bartending app. All the drinks I like, I already know how to make.

You could give the drink maestro android cocktail app a try. It's not collaborative, so the recipe count is significantly smaller than 1001 cocktails, but it does have the classics. The user interface is search biased, so when you're dealing within a limited selection of liquor and mixers it can come in handy in finding options you might not have been aware of. Unfortunately it's Android 2.2 only, won't run on older phones. Full disclosure, I'm the developer - though truth be told I was scratching my own itch to make a better cocktail menu interface from what I saw that was out there..

OP
Ghostwheel

Ghostwheel

Reaction score
That aside, I've given up on finding a good bartending app. All the drinks I like, I already know how to make.

You could give the drink maestro android cocktail app a try. It's not collaborative, so the recipe count is significantly smaller than 1001 cocktails, but it does have the classics. The user interface is search biased, so when you're dealing within a limited selection of liquor and mixers it can come in handy in finding options you might not have been aware of. Unfortunately it's Android 2.2 only, won't run on older phones. Full disclosure, I'm the developer - though truth be told I was scratching my own itch to make a better cocktail menu interface from what I saw that was out there..

Thanks for the heads-up, I'll give it a try.

pyro6128

Reaction score
Check out Liquor Run Mobile. Helps you find the nearest liquor store, and it has drink recipes in it.