Faster Micro SD card = better performance?

tonyb81

Reaction score
Before I invest in a higher "class" micro sd card, is there any truth that it will speed up performance of the player. For example, with the stock Micro SD card the music UI is very laggy, rather unjoyable. If I was to get a higher "class" Micro SD card (like a class 6 card), do you think it would make the music UI more responsive?

droid d'oh

Reaction score
Makes sense to me. It would most likely be similar to upgrading your computer hard-drive from a 5400 to 7200 rpm drive. The data would load at a faster speed assuming the hardware and ram can keep up.

Pegleg

Reaction score
I believe it depends on the speed the device is capable of handling....similar to using higher speed cards in digital cameras. The faster cards can write the data to the card faster. Not sure how a faster card would effect playing music.

Is there a reference that provides the capability of the phone with respect to card speed? With music on the card being played by the device the xfer rate would be limited by the player I would think.

Pegleg

zero7404

Reaction score
you might gain a little with a performance SDHC but you're not talking hard drive to SSD performance gains....because it's still flash memory.

i'd wait for 32GB and see......can the droid support 32GB microSD cards ?

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
I believe it depends on the speed the device is capable of handling....similar to using higher speed cards in digital cameras. The faster cards can write the data to the card faster. Not sure how a faster card would effect playing music.

Is there a reference that provides the capability of the phone with respect to card speed? With music on the card being played by the device the xfer rate would be limited by the player I would think.

Pegleg

I tried to find the exact spec of the Eris for the expansion slot but I couldn't (check you box, I know the Droid is spec for class 6) if the device supports a higher class than that means it can support the data rates and using a lower class card will 'choke' the device. I'm assuming the Eris comes with the same class2 card that the Droid came with so YES, getting a class 4 or 6 (whatever you device can support) will, in theory result in better performance. There will of course be things like system resource load to take into account but I will tell you my new Class 6 card makes a NOTICEABLE difference when loading/searching my 15G of music but your results may differ.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
We discussed this on an earlier thread, there is a jump in performance going up a class, but you would only see it if you were using large files, and that would be transfer speed, apps will still load what is needed into memory, that won't change.