Failed Root attempt, (im a noob)

Dupuis53

Reaction score
so today i followed the guide to root my phone here,
Guide to Rooting Android 2.1 on a Motorola Droid - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

i finished step one following exact instructions, once i powered the phone on manually my moto droid(the first model) loads to the unlock screen. What i see wrong is that its searching for service and my battery icon is outlined in red and has a red slash across it, it also says to connect charger. when i connect the charger nothing happens, i waited for a while and my phone shut its self off, now its stuck in a boot cycle.

Every now and then i can get it to unlock but the second i select any app it says "sorry! process system is not responding" if i choose wait i can mess with my phone for a couple seconds until it reboots itself...

I really need help with this, even if i cant have it rooted tonight its a must have for my day tomorrow; that said this is my first time on the server so please wow me with help!

Thanks
~dupuis

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Your phone probably did not have 2.1. It probably had 2.2. What you will need to do is keep it on the charger until you can get it flashed with 2.2.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
D

Dupuis53

Reaction score
ahhh now that i think of it it had 2.2.1
guess i messed up haha, thanks for quick reply

OP
D

Dupuis53

Reaction score
can anyone link a very simple minded link to instructions to root 2.2.1?
all the guides i find are without a computer...

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Why were you following such an outdated guide?

Link 2 in my signature will fix you right up. You'll need to flash a ROM or kernel immediately after you root, however, as what you did was put a 2.1 kernel on a 2.2 install. Needless to say, that didn't work.

OP
D

Dupuis53

Reaction score
ok i will give it a shot, please stay with me, as i cannot have the phone not working by morning

OP
D

Dupuis53

Reaction score
it all went well until i completely finished, rebooted phone, still have the same problem... only now it shows activation, and then reboots... i can start activation but everytime it shows "sorry! process system is not responding"

**EDIT**
now i got through activation, no service and everytime i try to open anything i have to force close...

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Find a ROM, stockish or not (I recommend metickmod) put it on your sdcard as update.zip, reboot into recovery and you should be golden. The other update.zip doesn't flash a new kernel.

OP
D

Dupuis53

Reaction score
Find a ROM, stockish or not (I recommend metickmod) put it on your sdcard as update.zip, reboot into recovery and you should be golden. The other update.zip doesn't flash a new kernel.

Link to a rom? sorry im so noobish at this whole thing

the only things i got were MC1_A855_1282081087_Recovery-Only_SPRecovery_0.99.3b.sbf and MotoCache1_Complete_Root_v1.1-update.zip

And i take it im at 2.2.1 now? so i use a 2.2.1 rom?

OP
D

Dupuis53

Reaction score

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
There is a link to his area in my signature.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure the kernel isn't helping you. Just put a full ROM on so you can at least get it functional.