Facebook While Driving? Kill Someone's Grandmother and Get Charged with Negligent Homicide

swc2001

Reaction score
Whether it was a full on reply to a Facebook post or a quick glance to read something on their nav screen, I don't know a single person who owns a cell phone, navigation unit or whatever, that hasn't done this at one point or another over the years. If they tell you they haven't, well....I'll just leave it at that, we all know better.
The fact is, yes it's a terrible tragedy, but it doesn't take texting someone to cause an accident like this. I wiped out the whole side of my car about 15 years ago when I looked down to figure out what cd I wanted to change in my stereo. I drifted to the right while going over a bridge and wiped out the whole side of my car on the gaurdrail. That could have easily been a completely different scenario and ended much worse. It was a huge wake-up call for me. The fact is, inattentive driving can involve so many different things. Throw in ever increasing technology from smartphones or built in navigation units and that doesn't help. Even children arguing or misbehaving in the back seat can be a contributing factors that can shift our focus for just a couple of seconds, and that's all it takes.

While we understand this was a texting issue, I think the take away from this SHOULD be inattentive driving as a whole. We're all guilty of it in one form or another.

tap'n on my S5
I fully Agree.... I have a hard time trying to punish someone for something we have ALL done.
I think its a tradgedy. I think she should pay for the funeral and property damage. The thought that she killed someone will most likely haunt her for the rest of her life. I mean what if she had been distracted by her kids..... would we then throw her in jail for 10 plus years? Now I believe in paying attention when you drive AT ALL TIMES..... but I am not going to be a hypocrite and say throw the book at her for somthing EVERYONE has done in one form or another...... shes just got a bad result from doing it where the rest of us got LUCKY!!!