Facebook UploadManager and PhotoDownloadService

bjwheeler

Reaction score
I have noticed recently that these two services, UploadManager and PhotoDownloadService, seem to turn themselves on quite often and suck a ton of data and drain my battery. The way I know one of them is on is when I feel the phone getting hot in my pocket. When I do, I go to Running Services and force stop it. Nonetheless, I can't babysit these things and my phone is not lasting nearly as long now that they're trying to run all the time. I don't even know what UploadManager does, or why it comes on. I don't think I need it. Amazingly, PhotoDownloadService, the real data sucker and battery killer, only wants to come on when I unplug my phone. Why couldn't it only come on when the phone is charging!? Does anyone know what I can do about these two? They're killing me. Any help is appreciated.

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums

alex1moss7

Reaction score
I have noticed recently that these two services, UploadManager and PhotoDownloadService, seem to turn themselves on quite often and suck a ton of data and drain my battery. The way I know one of them is on is when I feel the phone getting hot in my pocket. When I do, I go to Running Services and force stop it. Nonetheless, I can't babysit these things and my phone is not lasting nearly as long now that they're trying to run all the time. I don't even know what UploadManager does, or why it comes on. I don't think I need it. Amazingly, PhotoDownloadService, the real data sucker and battery killer, only wants to come on when I unplug my phone. Why couldn't it only come on when the phone is charging!? Does anyone know what I can do about these two? They're killing me. Any help is appreciated.

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums

+1. As soon as I turn FB UploadManager off, it turns itself back on. And slows down my phone and burns battery, as you describe. Looking for a way to turn off and keep off...or may need to uninstall fb, which would be too bad. Thanks to anyone with suggestions.

Neubian

Reaction score
Gemini

I've been suffering Facebook's awful programming which has made me HATE my droid and several times brought me to the edge of smashing the damn thing.

however, I belive that I've cracked this problem.

1) Upload something through FB. A clean, successful upload seems to have tamed the beast that is "UploadManager"
2) Rood your phone, install Gemini App Mgr and revoke Facebook's privileges to launch on certain system events (network changes, etc.)

this has made a HUGE difference for me and I hope it helps someone out there suffering the wrather of UploadManager

+1. As soon as I turn FB UploadManager off, it turns itself back on. And slows down my phone and burns battery, as you describe. Looking for a way to turn off and keep off...or may need to uninstall fb, which would be too bad. Thanks to anyone with suggestions.

alex1moss7

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion...I will upload something and see if it helps. As for rooting, I just don't have time to figure out how, never done it before, and I'm imagining all the usual hassles when learning something new, even though it probably makes sense. Bottom line: do you think the "upload something" suggestion is enough to stop UploadManager from self starting? Or do I need to root to stop it? Thanks much.

Neubian

Reaction score
UploadManager will keep relaunching unless you root it and use Gemini to revoke it's autorun privileges. If I were Zuckerberg, I change this, but alas, I am not. Rooting wasn't that hard on my Moto Droid.

do you think the "upload something" suggestion is enough to stop UploadManager from self starting? Or do I need to root to stop it? Thanks much.

zerosouls

Soulless Droid
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
gplus.to
I have this problem too... I've been reluctant to use the approach of a task manager. But after 4 hours without even using facebook, the uploadmanager service has consumed 11% of my battery usage, it's ridiculous.:mad:

Neubian

Reaction score
I have this problem too... I've been reluctant to use the approach of a task manager. But after 4 hours without even using facebook, the uploadmanager service has consumed 11% of my battery usage, it's ridiculous.:mad:

For everyone who has posted and everyone who will read this thread, please file a bug report with "UploadManager service crippling my phone":

Mobile Device Application Issues | Facebook

SAGExSDX

Reaction score
trying out Gemini App Manager to get rid of this annoyance. Thanks for the tip

Neubian

Reaction score
trying out Gemini App Manager to get rid of this annoyance. Thanks for the tip

I eventually ended up uninstalling Facebook altogether and put a browser bookmark for facebook on my home screen.

Now one thing I notice a week or so later was that I had 24,000 copies of a single contact in GMail. I don't know if UploadManager was trying to send them all and that caused the slow down. I know that when I tried to use "Merge Duplicates" in Gmail, it did nothing. I had to delete them page by page by page by mf'n page.

I don't know if it's worth trying CyanogenMod Gingerbread on my A855 Droid. The thing is slow as hell now with Foyo, so I don't know how upset I'd be with a little slow from Gingerbread and a fresh start.

Maybe just hold out 'til Dec 8th and get a Samsung Galaxy . . . I don't know anymore. Frustrating.