Facebook updated app on Moto Droid

edmicman

Reaction score
I've got a Motorola Droid with the Facebook app that came with it. In the Market I see the official Facebook app listed there but never installed it; unlike the Google Maps app it doesn't seem to recognize that the FB app is already installed.

Now I've read that they've updated the FB app with inbox support, I'm interested in that but wary about installing an app that I already "have". Soooo...

What happens if I install the FB app from the market? Will that overwrite anything or affect how I have things currently set up? Mess up my Contact syncs or anything?

Or is there another way I should manage the FB app on my Droid? Thanks for any info!

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Hmm, strange that it doesn't show as an update. I would go ahead and install it see what happens. Won't kill your phone...

papy72

Reaction score
I installed FB for Android 1.2 from the market after reading about the update on a tech blog somewhere.

It overlays the one on the Droid much like the Maps updates and works fine. It's nice to have the inbox support finally.

Another upside: FB is now listed in my "downloaded apps" screen in the market, so it should flag for any additional updates that come along.

D

davidjmorin

does anyone else hate that the notifications completely suck on the phones. not just droid but BB and others.

can we all say DELAY!!! if at all

OP
E

edmicman

Reaction score
Haha, thanks everyone! I did the update and now get some 'malformed JSON' error on it. Sigh...their app sucks. Ah well, I'll wait it out, usually when that happens it's something on their end that clears up after awhile. Mobile touch site until then. It does show up in the Downloads now so hopefully will also pick up any updates.

papy72

Reaction score
does anyone else hate that the notifications completely suck on the phones. not just droid but BB and others.
I must be the only one who doesn't use / hate the notification system. I have FB set up to send me emails to my Gmail account when the things I care about happen. Those come pretty timely so it works for me.

JayCizzo

Reaction score
I must be the only one who doesn't use / hate the notification system. I have FB set up to send me emails to my Gmail account when the things I care about happen. Those come pretty timely so it works for me.

Nope, not the only one. I find most Facebook notifications annoying. Having FB send me a message to my Gmail account ensures I only get the stuff I care about and I get them very quickly.

issues636

Reaction score

Nope, not the only one. I find most Facebook notifications annoying. Having FB send me a message to my Gmail account ensures I only get the stuff I care about and I get them very quickly.

Not necessarily. If I get an e-mail about a wall post someone left me, and I go and reply to that wall post, and then they reply back to the wall post, 90% of the time I won't get an e-mail for the second reply, so I end up not knowing i have it til an hour later when I just log on for the heck of it. That's why I was excited when I saw this facebook update (same thing happened to me BTW, it didn't say installed, so I was confused.) The update did nothing good though.. notification's still suck.

CharlieJ

Reaction score
Haha, thanks everyone! I did the update and now get some 'malformed JSON' error on it. Sigh...their app sucks. Ah well, I'll wait it out, usually when that happens it's something on their end that clears up after awhile. Mobile touch site until then. It does show up in the Downloads now so hopefully will also pick up any updates.

Well, it's been at least TWO days now... and the FB app that came with my Droid is still giving the "An error has occurred while fetching data. [Malformed JSON]". The odd thing is that is only showing on the Profile link. Notifications and Newsfeed update and links touched work fine.

If anyone has more information, please reply.