Facebook app: "Package file was not signed correctly"

jcardona1

Reaction score
I've been trying to update this facebook app for WEEKS! everytime i try, it downloads, then i get this error message when trying to install: "Package file was not signed correctly"

What does this mean? Is there any way around this?

papy72

Reaction score
I've never seen that error before. Hope someone here can help you.

ice456789

Reaction score
It's a theme you installed. That theme's facebook app has a different digital signature so it's refusing to update. I had that problem too, and was unable to just 'go back' to stock theme either. Not sure why that didn't work. But if you do a clean wipe and don't install that theme you won't have the problem. According to your signature, you're due for an upgrade anyway. :)

Which theme are you running? I had with flavored ice. Great theme though.

OP
jcardona1

jcardona1

Reaction score
It's a theme you installed. That theme's facebook app has a different digital signature so it's refusing to update. I had that problem too, and was unable to just 'go back' to stock theme either. Not sure why that didn't work. But if you do a clean wipe and don't install that theme you won't have the problem. According to your signature, you're due for an upgrade anyway. :)

well damn that sucks :( i installed the smoked glass and some blue theme on top of BB. i'm thinking its the blue theme. so there's no way to keep the blue theme and be able to update FB? this blows! i really like the blue theme

ice456789

Reaction score

well damn that sucks :( i installed the smoked glass and some blue theme on top of BB. i'm thinking its the blue theme. so there's no way to keep the blue theme and be able to update FB? this blows! i really like the blue theme

I agree. Because I'm on BB v 1.0, I have a very limited number of themes that work. Currently that number is 2. :) Since you're back on v 0.7 it's possible that you could use metamorph to manually install every part of the theme except for the facebook app. If memory serves me correct v0.7 is still based on Android 2.0.1 so MM can even do the framework-res for you.

Or you could get a working version of facebook app from another theme and then ADB push it to your phone if you know how to do that. Either way would still allow you to keep your theme.

Sal R.

Reaction score

Nope. You don't have to do a data wipe. Using root explorer, delete the facebook apk, reboot, goto manage apps and uninstall facebook. This will let you update.

Afterwards, use MM to theme the new fb after moving it to system\apps.

That's how I did it to match my SGv601 rom.

OP
jcardona1

jcardona1

Reaction score

Nope. You don't have to do a data wipe. Using root explorer, delete the facebook apk, reboot, goto manage apps and uninstall facebook. This will let you update.

Afterwards, use MM to theme the new fb after moving it to system\apps.

That's how I did it to match my SGv601 rom.
ah thanks so much! :) that took care of it. i dont use the widget so i dont care about theming it, i just wanted to update the damn app.

thx again!