Facebook Announces 3 Major New Features During F8 Conference Today

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
facebook-jpg.jpg

Earlier today Facebook held their F8 Developer Conference. There were quite a few things shared during the event, but we broke down the three largest changes which Facebook is making/adding to their service. Here's the summary:
  1. "On This Day" Feature - This is a new way to look at old stuff. It basically gives you a page every day to bring up photos which were on that same day in your past. In order to get to this "special page," you will need to "click on the On This Day bookmark, and search for “On This Day.” Alternatively, you can just head to facebook.com/onthisday.”
  2. Third-party developers support in FB Messenger - This was the biggest change/upgrade that Facebook shared today. The company will be opening up FB Messenger to third-party developers so that they can make their own custom apps for the service. They claim they wanted to offer “even more ways for the 600 million people who use Messenger every month to express themselves.”
  3. Embeddable video functionality - If you are a fan of posting videos on your website(s), then you will want to pay attention to this. Facebook will soon offer HTML code for videos uploaded to their network which is meant to make embedding them much easier.
Sound off if you think any of these changes/additions will be worthwhile to you.

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
They need to get rid of auto refresh on timeline. I can't stand it when it auto refreshes when I'm browsing through my timeline. On the app and on PC browser. It's really frustrating when I lose my place while reading a post.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
It really sucks.. I'll check out a link but when I back out.. I'm nowhere near where I was..

droidprincess

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Iphone 7 Plus
Twitter
droidprincesstx
Facebook annoys me....I am happier with G+...

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
They need to bring MOST RECENT back front and center in the app. It's been buried in a sub-sub-menu for a long time now. I couldn't care less about the trending posts that keep getting comments and showing up in my feed. I want to see the stuff I missed since I last checked to see what people are up to.

As for the items listed-On this day seems like a fun nostalgic trip down memory lane. When I first joined Facebook, you still had to have a college email address to sign up. Needless to say, I've posted quite a bit of stuff over those years.

Third-part dev support in messenger...to me...is meh... I use messenger, but only on rare occasions. Definitely not enough to want/need more than the ability to fire off a quick message to someone or send a ridiculous sticker.

Embedding videos could be handy. As it is, on the rare occasion that I create a new YouTube video, I have it set to share that info on facebook, but it takes so long to actually do it that I almost always end up creating my own post with the link.

Maybe that's just me. I realize they have some big plan to take over the world, but I really think they need to focus more on how people WANT to use facebook, rather than how they think we should use it. Though it's the first thing I covered in this post, I'm still not happy about losing quick access to the most recent posts feature.

StormyHeather

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S21
Twitter
GAPeachHeather
I have basically stopped using the FB app. I access FB through my browser on my tablets and phone. I don't even use the messenger app due to invasive permissions and information collection I've read about. I access messenger thru the Web page exclusively (on my phone). I hate that FB people decided how I should see my feed. Annoying as heck. I would love to just use G+ but too many people I know don't use it.