Facebook and Contacts

pyro6128

Reaction score
I tried searching but couldn't find the answer, which is weird because I remember reading it at some point on here. Anyway, I have a contact in my phone (my girlfriend), and I want to sync it to her facebook like every other contact I have that already has facebook. But with everyone else I just put their names exactly how it is on their fb page, but her fb name is different than her actual name. So how do I have the name and picture I want for her contact info, while still having her fb on there?

Silver Member
Reaction score
edit contact - menu - merge - find the contact you want to merge with and select it. see sig for details.

OP
pyro6128

pyro6128

Reaction score
so would I have to change her name to how it is on her fb to initially link it, then join it, then I can edit the name and picture?

Silver Member
Reaction score
no, you don't have to change anything. if your contact for her is Mary Jane and her FB name is Martha January, you can merge them together under either name.

there's an order of priority to get it to display the name you want, however. i haven't figured it out yet, but i think whatever you select first, becomes the primary name.

OP
pyro6128

pyro6128

Reaction score
well i joined them, picking the contact I wanted to take preference first. The picture remained the one that I wanted, but it took the fb name, even though in the contact info, under name I have it as the name I want. Anything else you could think of that could help this situation. I know its a minor detail, but it bothers me a bit that I still dont really know the ins and outs of the contacts area.

side note: again, sorry if its been answered, but how do I back up all of my contacts? I had an instance where info was accidentally deleted from my phone, and that was then automatically synced with google. I don't want to turn synch off, because I like having everything streamlined. I just want to make sure that if there is some mistake made on my phone, i can then revert to the backed up contacts and fix the problem.

Silver Member
Reaction score
well i joined them, picking the contact I wanted to take preference first. The picture remained the one that I wanted, but it took the fb name, even though in the contact info, under name I have it as the name I want. Anything else you could think of that could help this situation. I know its a minor detail, but it bothers me a bit that I still dont really know the ins and outs of the contacts area.

side note: again, sorry if its been answered, but how do I back up all of my contacts? I had an instance where info was accidentally deleted from my phone, and that was then automatically synced with google. I don't want to turn synch off, because I like having everything streamlined. I just want to make sure that if there is some mistake made on my phone, i can then revert to the backed up contacts and fix the problem.
that sucks that it got deleted and then synched and then deleted from gmail. while in contacts, you can hit menu and then export to SD card. that will create a file with all of your contacts.

as far as the merging process goes, i'm still at a loss as to how it actually works, but at least it's something.

if someone knows how it REALLY works, please post up.

Bull4595

Reaction score
I too remember reading this a few weeks back and have been trying to find it again. i want to do this for a few contacts only but can't seem to find the thread. I do remember people saying it worked perfectly, but it wasn't the way described above