Extended battery = same length of time as standard battery?

revelated

Reaction score
So I used the Droid Bionic, and I have managed to go about 15 hours on a full charge, under my normal usage, over WiFi. That's with the peak-only sync and everything else. However I'm itching to finally have a phone that does not require charging at the end of the day. So I figured I would just get the extended battery, given the 50% off. Charged it FULLY before using it. Then set it to task. Mind, I am using Advanced Clock Widget, which gives me a readout of battery percentage with a time estimate. I don't know how accurate that estimate is, but it seems to be on point in my experience. It showed 100% < 16hr, which I take to mean that the battery will last "less than 16 hours". Eh?

Thinking that maybe it just wasn't calibrated for the higher mAh, I figured I would just use it throughout the day and do my own test. I ended up killing the battery at 16 hours. 1 extra hour from a battery that has 1,000 more mAh? That can't be right.

So I figured maybe it just needed to be conditioned. Having it fully discharged, I then charged it overnight. This morning it's back reporting 100% < 16 hr. Actually as I type this, it's down to 100% ~ 15 hr.

Is anyone else using the extended battery that can give me some reports on your battery life? I'm trying to track down why this is so. One theory I have: Before I got the extended battery, I did start using Touchdown because I wasn't keen on the whole Motorola Device Administrator deal where my company can effectively wipe my phone whenever they please. Normally I wouldn't mind, but our corporate IT has managed to cause certain issues with our Exchange network, and the last thing I need is some tech pushing a button that deletes my personal stuff. So I got Touchdown to get around that, as well as the fact that the Mail app cannot manage to reply to emails properly. But it's not running and I still can't seem to manage to get any better battery.

For what it's worth, I don't run Bluetooth, I don't run Location, and the only recurrent updating things running are the Advanced Clock Widget, Music Widget, and Gmail. But those three were running with the standard battery and I still got decent battery. Even if I drop the screen down to bare minimum I still can't get any better life. The battery history indicates that "Cell Standby" is the #1 killer, but honestly I still don't understand how a standby can cause battery impact. Any ideas?

Suuperflie

Reaction score
Personally I think there's a bug with the bionics battery stats. standby and idle are always on top regardless of how much the screen is on. I take my phone off charge at 0530 and 12 hours later I'm at 70-80%. Of course I don't use my phone as much when I'm at work, but for a stock battery I think it's pretty darn good. It doesn't seem to drain much faster after I get home and use the hell out of it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

BSG4893

Reaction score
So I used the Droid Bionic, and I have managed to go about 15 hours on a full charge, under my normal usage, over WiFi. That's with the peak-only sync and everything else. However I'm itching to finally have a phone that does not require charging at the end of the day. So I figured I would just get the extended battery, given the 50% off.

Charged it FULLY before using it. Then set it to task. Mind, I am using Advanced Clock Widget, which gives me a readout of battery percentage with a time estimate. I don't know how accurate that estimate is, but it seems to be on point in my experience. It showed 100% < 16hr, which I take to mean that the battery will last "less than 16 hours". Eh?

Thinking that maybe it just wasn't calibrated for the higher mAh, I figured I would just use it throughout the day and do my own test. I ended up killing the battery at 16 hours. 1 extra hour from a battery that has 1,000 more mAh? That can't be right.

So I figured maybe it just needed to be conditioned. Having it fully discharged, I then charged it overnight. This morning it's back reporting 100% < 16 hr. Actually as I type this, it's down to 100% ~ 15 hr.

Is anyone else using the extended battery that can give me some reports on your battery life? I'm trying to track down why this is so. One theory I have: Before I got the extended battery, I did start using Touchdown because I wasn't keen on the whole Motorola Device Administrator deal where my company can effectively wipe my phone whenever they please. Normally I wouldn't mind, but our corporate IT has managed to cause certain issues with our Exchange network, and the last thing I need is some tech pushing a button that deletes my personal stuff. So I got Touchdown to get around that, as well as the fact that the Mail app cannot manage to reply to emails properly. But it's not running and I still can't seem to manage to get any better battery.

For what it's worth, I don't run Bluetooth, I don't run Location, and the only recurrent updating things running are the Advanced Clock Widget, Music Widget, and Gmail. But those three were running with the standard battery and I still got decent battery. Even if I drop the screen down to bare minimum I still can't get any better life. The battery history indicates that "Cell Standby" is the #1 killer, but honestly I still don't understand how a standby can cause battery impact.

Any ideas?

Im using a standard battery and with 3g service on i get about 14-16 hours with moderate use, which in my case means im frequently texting, checking emails, going on the internet here and there... Right now i kept my data off yesterday most of the day because i was busy not using my phone and left data off overnight and my phone is at 50% with 1d 2h 36mins on the battery. I think either your phone has something wrong with it or maybe you have your lte radio on and its trying to pick up lte constantly. Check into those things. Best way to conserve battery life is to turn off all data when your not using it for extended periods of time. Just go into battery & data manager, hit data delivery, and turn off data enabled until you want your data to be on. This saves me a HUGE amount of battery life on a daily basis because you can still text and call while its off.

OP
revelated

revelated

Reaction score
Im using a standard battery and with 3g service on i get about 14-16 hours with moderate use, which in my case means im frequently texting, checking emails, going on the internet here and there... Right now i kept my data off yesterday most of the day because i was busy not using my phone and left data off overnight and my phone is at 50% with 1d 2h 36mins on the battery. I think either your phone has something wrong with it or maybe you have your lte radio on and its trying to pick up lte constantly. Check into those things. Best way to conserve battery life is to turn off all data when your not using it for extended periods of time. Just go into battery & data manager, hit data delivery, and turn off data enabled until you want your data to be on. This saves me a HUGE amount of battery life on a daily basis because you can still text and call while its off.
Perhaps I need to rethink my title. My issue is not with the standard battery. It gets amazing life, usually. My issue is with the EXTENDED battery not lasting any longer than the standard battery.

portermac

Reaction score
I love my extended battery. I'm on my phone a lot all day and I can't drain this battery down. I've had it for a week now and have yet to get it to die. Maybe I just need to watch Netflix all day. Its said to let it complete drain one time but by 11 our 12 at night I still have 30%. I guess that's my only complaint. I have to good battery life.

OP
revelated

revelated

Reaction score

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
My extended lasts twice as long as stock

OP
revelated

revelated

Reaction score
Update.

So today which is after the full discharge and recharge, it did report the 15hr. However it looks to be a calibration issue after all. When it hit 90% it changed to <32hr. Watched the fights, now it's almost 10 pm, and it's still at 80 percent reporting 31 hours remaining.

So it looks like the time estimate is based on how long it takes to get to the next 10 percent threshold, rather than the normal formula calculation against a total capacity of the battery (mAh/x or whatever it is).

For those who bought the extended battery and are not satisfied with the battery life, I strongly encourage the full discharge and recharge. Do this before you even start using the phone. Run some 1080 p or make some long calls or whatever you need to do to kill the battery. Then let it charge on an official verizon wireless or motorola charger until it's full. My extended battery went from a reported 15 hours of battery to what seems to be no less than 40 hours with full sync and max performance. I can live with that.