[Exclusive] Verizon Ends Automated Discounts on Line Fees Once Payments/Contracts End

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
verizon-ending-line-access-discount-watermarked.jpg

That title could be a bit tough to wrap your head around. Luckily, we have the document above to help clarify it, and we will explain it as best we can. First, let's be clear. This is NOT good news for a small few customers.

Effective March 10th, Verizon made changes to the previous More Everything plans, and it is unsurprising that it went unnoticed because it is subtle. In the past, if you were on a device payment and it finished, your payment would cease, but you would remain at the discounted $25 or $15 line access fee. They have ended this!

To break it down further, the automated discount on the access fee will be discontinued for Verizon customers when the device payment plan completes, or their 2-year contract ends. The line access fees will return to $40, instead of the discounted price (which is down to $25 or $15 depending on different situations).

This is not a big deal for people who upgrade frequently, but is basically just another push from Verizon to get customers to move to the newer Verizon Plan which has a more enticing line access fee of $20, and gives the consumer a little more data.

Additionally, previously, if a customer was on the More Everything plan and their contract ended, a Verizon rep could go in and add a credit to that line per month. With these changes, that will no also longer be possible.

This is a great example of Big Red's bipolar customer service. Sometimes they offer great value propositions, and sometimes they take them away. Sound off and let us know if this will effect you.

Thanks for the tip, Anonymous!

k1601

Reaction score
That's bull if I understand it correctly. This applies to the edge program? The main reason I did edge was so I could keep my phone for 3-4 years and have the 25 dollar discount remain For that 1 or 2 year stretch i had it payed off. That's a 3-600 dollar savings they promised, that apparently I can't get anymore?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Yeesh. VZW you're really winning people over this week.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
I would have expected this anyway. So I am not seeing this one as that big of a deal.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
That's bull if I understand it correctly. This applies to the edge program? The main reason I did edge was so I could keep my phone for 3-4 years and have the 25 dollar discount remain For that 1 or 2 year stretch i had it payed off. That's a 3-600 dollar savings they promised, that apparently I can't get anymore?

As long as you keep upgrading to a new device before paying it off, then I don't think this will affect you... if I am understanding it correctly.

k1601

Reaction score
As long as you keep upgrading to a new device before paying it off, then I don't think this will affect you... if I am understanding it correctly.
Well the main reason I went with the edge is that I wouldn't have to upgrade. I was planning on keeping this phone for 3-4 years and taking advantage of the credit.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well the main reason I went with the edge is that I wouldn't have to upgrade. I was planning on keeping this phone for 3-4 years and taking advantage of the credit.

Good luck with that approach. Went 2 years and 4 months with my last device and the battery life was definitely a deal breaker for holding out any longer.

k1601

Reaction score
Good luck with that approach. Went 2 years and 4 months with my last device and the battery life was definitely a deal breaker for holding out any longer.
Droid turbo might just need a new screen in a few months...

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ahhh... I see the confusion. Someone must not have explained the Edge program to you very well when you signed up. It's primarily only useful for folks who upgrade every year. Edge is actually more expensive if you plan to keep one device for a long time. Someone please feel free to correct me if I am wrong...

@cereal killer wanna chime in on this one?

k1601

Reaction score
Ahhh... I see the confusion. Someone must not have explained the Edge program to you very well when you signed up. It's primarily only useful for folks who upgrade every year. Edge is actually more expensive if you plan to keep one device for a long time. Someone please feel free to correct me if I am wrong...

@cereal killer wanna chime in on this one?
The way I understood it the advantage was for people who upgrade yearly, and for people that upgrade we'll after the contract is up. Since the device is payed for that 25 dollar charge is gotten rid of, and my bill us effectively 25 dollars less then original.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
The way I understood it the advantage was for people who upgrade yearly, and for people that upgrade we'll after the contract is up. Since the device is payed for that 25 dollar charge is gotten rid of, and my bill us effectively 25 dollars less then original.

After you pay off your phone you will then get a $15.00/discount for going Month2Month. Your bill will drop $10.00/month.

Upgrading and taking advantage of the Edge program is the way to go. If saving $120 for the year is something you'd rather take advantage of then keep the phone.

k1601

Reaction score
After you pay off your phone you will then get a $15.00/discount for going Month2Month. Your bill will drop $10.00/month.

Upgrading and taking advantage of the Edge program is the way to go. If saving $120 for the year is something you'd rather take advantage of then keep the phone.
So if I bring a phone I purchased from somewhere else (nexus or similar) do I maintain that discount?

kinfolk248

Reaction score
So if I bring a phone I purchased from somewhere else (nexus or similar) do I maintain that discount?

Bring your own phone? No one likes your kind or your economical thinking here at Vzw...

eagle923

Reaction score
When they used to subsidize phones, the price of your contract had the phone cost "baked in". So you'd pay $199 or whatever for the phone and the 2 year contract cost basically covered the extra $400.

Then they went to these Edge plans where you bought the phone at full cost. People complained that they weren't subsidizing phones and the plans were too costly and I thought that discount was to offset the subsidy costs that were baked in. Now they want use to buy the full cost phone and not get a discount??!

Am I missing something? My bill sure hasn't gone down.

HERE is the article that I remember reading.