Everyone that wanted the froyo/Sbf File for X please Read "No Link"

WoZzY

The GRD Dev Team
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
ok I posted a few days ago to send me a private message with your email as the mods have requested me not posting links bc Motorola are cry baby's

well I still have those files but as I live in Florida we got rocked by some afternoon thunderstorms & my internet is still down I am currently using my work computer to post here so as soon As my internet comes back up I will send out those files to you all

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
ok I posted a few days ago to send me a private message with your email as the mods have requested me not posting links bc Motorola are cry baby's

You know, it's nice of you to offer to send this file to people and all, and I know you mean no harm with your comments. But sometimes I think the Droid 1 scene has spoiled us and given alot of us some sort of sense of entitlement that frankly makes me sick.

Just because Motorola decided to protect their intellectual property for whatever reason does NOT make them crybabies. It is their right, and it is considered a NORMAL thing in the business world. While it's NICE to have access to these files, it is not a right. It's a privelage. It should be treated as such. No need to constantly badmouth Moto.

JMHO.

BTW: you can STILL put it on a file hosting site, just don't post the link in the forum. Send the link to the people who requested it via email.

Juicemane

Bang Bang
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com

You know, it's nice of you to offer to send this file to people and all, and I know you mean no harm with your comments. But sometimes I think the Droid 1 scene has spoiled us and given alot of us some sort of sense of entitlement that frankly makes me sick.

Just because Motorola decided to protect their intellectual property for whatever reason does NOT make them crybabies. It is their right, and it is considered a NORMAL thing in the business world. While it's NICE to have access to these files, it is not a right. It's a privelage. It should be treated as such. No need to constantly badmouth Moto.

JMHO.

BTW: you can STILL put it on a file hosting site, just don't post the link in the forum. Send the link to the people who requested it via email.

I'm going to disagree... While moto does reserve the right to pull there proprietary software, they do not have the right to keep something from me that should be included with my device. Its not different then buying a new PC without an OS restore disk of sorts. The sbf file should be available to anyone who PURCHASED an X. It is after all included in the price of the phone.

tobytl

Reaction score
I'm going to disagree... While moto does reserve the right to pull there proprietary software, they do not have the right to keep something from me that should be included with my device. Its not different then buying a new PC without an OS restore disk of sorts. The sbf file should be available to anyone who PURCHASED an X. It is after all included in the price of the phone.

Are we talking actual "legal" rights here? Or the more ephemeral kind, the "shoulds" if you will. Because, legally, they do actually have the right to keep it from you. Should they? Probably not, but it is their right to.

And it's actually quite a bit different than that. On a PC, you can do any number of things in the course of intended use to completely hose a system to the point of needing a complete format and reinstall. On an android device, this is nigh impossible to do without root (which is outside the intended use case). Anything you do can be completely undone by a factory reset. Using that logic, you could say that they, in fact, do provide a "restore disk" in the form of factory reset.

And no, it's also not included in the price of the phone. The license to use the copy of the software already present on the device, is included in the price of the phone. That's a very, very, big distinction. You don't "own", legally speaking, that copy. You're just being allowed to use it.

But yea, they are being crybabies. Modern business practice has the emotional maturity of a kindergarten class. What sickens me, is that those distinctions I pointed out have to actually be made... It's the height of absurdity... Society would be funny, if it wasn't so damn tragic.