Email Widget or Better Email App?

Nibbz

Reaction score
I was wndering if there was a widget I could get that integrates with email and displays the number unread similar to the iphone?

if not are there any better email apps i should look into?

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
K9 is the client I use. There's also maildroid and touchdown. For a widget just search the market for email widget.

DebianDog

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
K-9 is great but I am having issues finding a widget that hooks to it.

Email Popup works good for new mail but, I would like to have a single view widget like the default one.

PhoenixGTR

Reaction score
K-9 stopped working properly for me. I use MailDroid now. Dev said ad free paid version is coming.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Elric

Reaction score
I'm considering funneling all of my e-mail accounts (ISP and others, I've already done it for hotmail) through GMail and JUST using GMail on the phone since it pushes. I've been using a forwarding e-mail address as my main personal e-mail address for about ten years now, anyway, so redirecting it away from my ISP account would be 90% of the work.

Most Modern services can auto-forward their mail. I guess my only reservation is that I'm starting to become really dependent on google and starting to push tons of personal data through their cloud. I'm sort of old school when it comes to net privacy.

Last edited:

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
I like K9 to directly poll my server for several reasons:

1) K9 let's you set up "identities" so I can change my "From" address to anything I want when composing an email
2) having K9 directly poll my server is quicker than having it go the extra step thru google
3) direct polling takes out an extra link in the chain so there is less room for error
4) K9 has more features than the gmail app (such as custom alert sound and notification lights per account)

famac!

Reaction score
K-9 in my opinion is a piece of Junk

Total agreement here. It is as useless as the default email app. The only reason i tried it was because i was sick of getting false "new email" alerts from an old Hotmail POP3 account. Well guess what? K-9 was no better!. It was false alert after false alert. I also tried another useless one called Maildroid. It was ridiculously slow and actually deleted my emails from the server without me telling it to! Now back to the OP's question. Try Launcherpro. I have it and it tells me the amount of new Gmail and SMS i have Iphone style.

huskerkate

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
probably depends on your email server. i have an Exchange server at work, and use Touchdown Exchange - freakin' phenomenal! leaps and bounds ahead of the stock email (in fact, since i rooted, i haven't even bothered to sync up the stock email). it has widgets, too - choice between calendar, email, tasks, or universal.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
K-9 in my opinion is a piece of Junk

I use it every day and have had no problems. Care to elaborate why it's a piece of junk?

Here's a thread where some people are using it successfully with hotmail:
K-9 not getting pop3 email... - Android Forums

To each his own. K9 works great for me. The stock app is definitely a piece of junk and the android google code site has the bug reports to prove it. If there's a better free app out there, I wouldn't mind knowing about it.

DebianDog

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
probably depends on your email server. i have an Exchange server at work, and use Touchdown Exchange - freakin' phenomenal! leaps and bounds ahead of the stock email (in fact, since i rooted, i haven't even bothered to sync up the stock email). it has widgets, too - choice between calendar, email, tasks, or universal.

That is a Windows exchange only app but it does look nice

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

The Electrical Guru

Reaction score
What I still find amazing is that even after the update the stock e-mail client does not have a DELETE ALL feature. Having to check each box is a labor of no love.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score

PhoenixGTR

Reaction score
I stopped using K9 cos it was loading at least half my emails on all accounts without subject info. Tried several versions, no luck. I really wanted it to work, too. But not everyone gets this; it's worth trying it to see.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk