Email synch

turbomentor

Reaction score
Can I force my emai (non Gmail) to connect to my server and check for mail? This is one thing about my BB that was definitely superior...push email for ALL my email accts, not just Gmail.

In any case, I set up my email acct but I don't think that my Inc is getting the emails for that acct. I sent an email from work to both my gmail and my other acct...it showed up right away in Gmail, has yet to show in my other acct. Now I have the other acct set to poll every hour (to save battery life of course) but I'd like to manually poll the server and don't know how.

If for some reason it's NOT correctly polling my server any options? Guess the easiest thing may be to just to delete the acct then set it up again.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Does mail ever arrive? I'm asking if you have all your settings config'd properly.

To clarify, you have it set to poll every hour. After an hour, does it show up?

Some points:
-don't use the stock email program, use k9
-don't use a task killer

Anyway, if you can, set up IMAP instead of POP3. Imap is push, pop is pull(polling). Some email servers allow you to choose either.

One more thing: you're not saving much battery power by setting polling so infrequently. Don't worry, try 10 minutes, 5 minutes, or even 1 minute. However some ISPs don't like you connecting so often and may return an error. Give it a try! With polling set to 1 minute you're getting push email performance.

Last edited:

BzB

Reaction score
you can manully force a refresh by opening up the email account, pressing the menu key, then pressing the refresh icon.

OP
T

turbomentor

Reaction score
Many thanks. I will look into K9 and see how it goes.

I set the acct up and received emails on it for a few days. Now...nada.
I have two accts set up, and one acct is receiving, the other is not. May just dump them and start fresh.

I've been having battery issues so I reduced the polling in hopes that would help battery life. Actually may have found that NoLock might have been the culprit. I'm seeing OnTime and UpTime now divergent (finally!).

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah, you'd have to be a real stickler about battery power to turn off polling. I have mine set for 10 minutes.

Stay away from the stock email app and stay away from task killers as you may kill something that email depends on. Task killers are not needed on android although people swear by them. I just stay away from problem apps.