Email notification question

allenbirnbach

Reaction score
I don't understand how the Droid deals with email notifications. I sent an email to myself, but did not get an alert. I saw another thread about this, but still do not understand the protocol here. Can someone explain it to me?

sam5828

Reaction score
go to setting in the email and makesure email notifications is checked i use a app called gmail notifier much better it lets ya get more than 1 notification for the same acct wich the stock app lacks, it will ony give 1 notification and once ya get that you have no idea ya have another unless you check it

OP
A

allenbirnbach

Reaction score
Thanks for that. I have several email accounts. Are you aware of applications that can do what gmailer notifier does for other types of accounts, such as comcast, etc. Also, is there a way to segment the emails so I can keep them in folders and only look at emails from one account at a time? I have a business acct I need to really watch, and a personal account that I do not need to get alerts on during the day and can just review at night at my leisure.

sam5828

Reaction score
Thanks for that. I have several email accounts. Are you aware of applications that can do what gmailer notifier does for other types of accounts, such as comcast, etc. Also, is there a way to segment the emails so I can keep them in folders and only look at emails from one account at a time? I have a business acct I need to really watch, and a personal account that I do not need to get alerts on during the day and can just review at night at my leisure.
well i dont know about comcast or whatever but you can forward your important ones to your gmail acct and you will get notification right away, there is alot of setting in there to sync ever 4 hrs or so or what ever ya set it too. and yes you can put them in folders

jbsangel

Reaction score

If all of your accounts are gmail, I believe gmail notifier will notifiy multiple accounts. For your non gmail accounts and you are using the email app to retrieve them, I believe the settings for ringtone within that app are specific to each account, so you can set the alert for each different account, even though they all show in the same inbox. That I am not positive of, so someone else should chime in or you in fact test it yourself. I don't know how to make the emails not show in the same inbox. I have managed at one point to make a shortcut to a specific account in the email app, but since I don't have but one account in that app, I have no idea if that shortcut actually filters to only show email from that account.

For multiple gmail accounts, the gmail app shows them each in their inbox, you just have to switch accounts.

Last edited:

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
there is an app called K9 that people love on these forums.. i haven't used it, but they say it's fantastic for handling lots of email addresses.. worth a look?

wfholcom

Reaction score
If I install K-9, do I need to tell the Droid not to use the stock e-mail app or remove that app?

Silver Member
Reaction score
i'm about 90% sure that if you're in the GMAIL app and you receive an email, you won't get notified. so if you send an email to yourself, it's pretty instantaneous. send yourself an email from a different email account and try again.

also make sure that your SYNC is set to ON.

sdm

Reaction score
Is there a way to turn the gmail notifier OFF when I sleep? I sometimes get emails at 2 or 3:00AM, and dont want to be awaken by the notifications. But I don't want to silence the phone in case I get an emergency call?

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Is there a way to turn the gmail notifier OFF when I sleep? I sometimes get emails at 2 or 3:00AM, and dont want to be awaken by the notifications. But I don't want to silence the phone in case I get an emergency call?

Run Gmail Notifier and set it's Ringtone to Silent.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
If I install K-9, do I need to tell the Droid not to use the stock e-mail app or remove that app?

I have heard that the "Email" app should not be "task-killed" even if you are using K9.

I don't think we should be using task killers at all, though. Why run a program that uses CPU and battery to kill idle/sleeping programs that aren't using CPU and battery? And then, those killed programs just need to restart again which ends up using CPU and battery. Bottom line: don't worry about programs sitting idle in memory. The real problem is non-stock apps that people install that needlessly run in the background on startup. A task killer treats the symptoms, but not the cause.