EMAIL Error

RUjh3

Reaction score
I am looking for some assistance, that Verizon has been unable to provide. I got my Droid X on it's release day. I have since gone away on vacation and came back. I tried setting up my email to get notifications on the go from my university. I will be at Rutgers in the fall, and would like to be able to receive email at any time. I have tried to set it up, but it has not worked any of the several times. Sometimes the error is Rutgers Authentication Error "incorrect username or password" so i see the settings, they are correct. I can't diagnose what is wrong with that, nor could the service tech at Verizon.

The other error it gives out is Connection Error, and the options are retry or see settings. Again I have entered my settings correctly every time.

Has anyone else encountered this problem or something similar with email set up difficulties?

I was also told by a colleague, about K9 Mail, which I tried,but there are the same problems still.

Any solution/advice will be appreciated.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
What email protocol does Rutgers use? I use K9 for my Gmail and the Corporate app for my PSU Exchange. I am able to receive email almost immediately on both.

Mike

OP
R

RUjh3

Reaction score
I am not sure exactly what you mean by protocol, but I was told by the tech support at Rutgers that their servers are IMAP. Does that help?

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
The protocols are POP, IMAP, and Exchange. So, you are using IMAP. I believe that Gmail is IMAP so you should be able to send and receive email without issues.

Are you able to access your Rutgers email on your computer? If so, use those settings when setting up your Droid. Make sure that you entered the correct account information. Try K9 email app it has lots of nice features.

Mike

DroidXK

Reaction score
This is also happening to me as well with my hotmail and live accounts... did anyone ever figure out what to do? Thanks!

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Perhaps Rutgers doesn't allow you to login unless you are on campus. Can you set up a laptop/desktop computer to send/receive email from your account?

The only other thing I can think of is to try it without authentication.

OP
R

RUjh3

Reaction score
Mike,

I am able to use my gmail that i set up when the phone was purchased. I have had no problems accessing/using that account while I have wi-fi turned on. Yes I am able to access my RU email while my PC is on. There has never been any issue(s) with that from the PC. I was recommended K9 by a colleague, which I installed but ran into the same problems on getting my RU mail to connect and sync.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Mike,

I am able to use my gmail that i set up when the phone was purchased. I have had no problems accessing/using that account while I have wi-fi turned on.

Does the account work with 3G of just wifi?

Yes I am able to access my RU email while my PC is on. There has never been any issue(s) with that from the PC.
Do you need a VPN to access?
Look at the settings for the SSL. Make sure you use the same settings on K9

I was recommended K9 by a colleague, which I installed but ran into the same problems on getting my RU mail to connect and sync.

Hope this helps.

Mike

OP
R

RUjh3

Reaction score
Theaccount (gmail) only works with wi-fi because i set it up that way, in an effort to increase battery life.

What exactly could a vpn do for me?

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Wifi ends up using less battery than 3g. Leave wifi on and use it whenever you can.

VPN makes you a part of the rutgers network so their mail server let's you log on...theoretically.

cryptosporidia

Reaction score
I had this same error message on mine one night. This was after a week of email working as it should. Checked all settings to be sure they were still correct (they were). Shut it off, next morning the same thing. Logged into my account on my mac, then suddenly, all was well with the Droid. Pulled in all my emails. Hasn't messed up for the last 3 days. I know this isn't any help to you, but I wanted to let you know you aren't alone. Hopefully this won't happen to me again.

OP
R

RUjh3

Reaction score
** I have found a solution. I was at Rutgers yesterday for an appointment, so being in the area I decided to stop at the campus help desk to meet with the folks I had been exchanging communications with for this issue. An employee at the help desk had the droid x so he took my case.

What ended up being the problem was that I had some apps running, Juice Defender and ATK, which were messing with my data capabilities. Once they were temporarily disabled, my RU email synced with the device and I started receiving/sending and accessing my inbox!

What a relief, and needless to say, those apps have been uninstalled.