Easiest way to tether wireless

swallman

Reaction score
Just looking for the easiest way to tether wireless. Don't need/want a custom ROM (unless I need it), but I'm ok with rooting. If I root, can I do it without losing my current settings (I hate to reconfigure everything).

Thanks!

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Just looking for the easiest way to tether wireless. Don't need/want a custom ROM (unless I need it), but I'm ok with rooting. If I root, can I do it without losing my current settings (I hate to reconfigure everything).

Thanks!

Android Beta Test | Tether is the easiest non-rooting option. At least I think it is a non-root solution.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Wireless meaning Wifi or without wires? Because PDANet will let you use Bluetooth (which is technically wireless), but if you want to use Wifi, then you'll need to root and you can use Barnacle or Wifi Tether.

drew211

Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]You will need to ROOT your phone. You can find the instructions here:[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]How-To Root your stock 2.1 Droid[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]then go to the Market download and install “Barnacle”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Worked for me.
[/FONT]

Travis798

Reaction score
^^ Thats the guide I used. Nice and simple and I was done in no time. Once you root you just need a kernel that supports wifi tether. Download a kernel zip and install it just like that guide has you root. You will rename the kernel to update.zip and replace the one left from rooting, and follow the same instructions with it. No need for a custom ROM however. Happy tethering!