Easiest way to ROOT Stock 2.1

OP
Royal2000H

Royal2000H

Reaction score
I know it seems like I'm new to this because I'm asking how to root. However, I'm not. I've rooted my phone and flashed it half a dozen times so I understand the use of nandroid and all that.

The problem is I've never rooted 2.1.
MBP does require root for app data. They used to not store app data and implemented it maybe about a month ago, possibly to compete with Titanium. As part of that they do require root. The other features do not.
http://www.rerware.com/MyBackup/ReleaseNotes.html said:
- Root ability to batch (one click) applications backup AND RESTORE. (root users only)
- Root ability to backup protected application APKs. (root users only)
- Root ability to backup third party application's data\settings. (root users only)
- Root ability to backup system application's data\settings. (root users only)
- Root ability to restore applications and keep Android Market link. (root users only, and only from root user backups)

---

So, with MBP and Titanium out of the picture. We know we have two options here.
A. Flash a rom (likely similar to stock) that gives root and doesn't require him to wipe data&cache
or
B. Not flash a rom. Instead, apply root to his stock 2.1 (after we put SPRecovery with the SBF).

So it comes down to this. Are either of the two actual possibilities? Teddyearp's post said A, but he also said it may be speculation. So can anyone confirm how to do A?

Alternatively, can anyone do B?

Last edited:

jasonb

Reaction score
Getting SPRecovery seems like the easy step.
So I guess the question becomes, whats easiest way to get the su binary and Superuser.apk on his phone?
I know you can do it with adb. But I'm looking for an easier way for him to do it.
Can you use the easy droidmod app? Or does that require the full 2.0.1 installed?

after you have SPrecovery on the phone you can just install a rom. no need to adb anything onto the phone.

i did this to my brothers droid earlier this evening and this is what i did:
1. flashed the SPrecovery .sbf with RSDLite,
2. put Chevy's Simply Stunning 3.1 update.zip on the root of the sd card(renamed it to "update.zip" of course),
3. rebooted into recovery,
4. did a quick nandroid backup of his stock rom,
5. and then installed the update.zip. i didn't even wipe data or cache and it worked just fine.
6. put setcpu and temp monitor on and that was it.

this process was actually much quicker and easier than it was when i rooted my 2.0.1 droid back in the day. i was done from start to finish in about 20 minutes.

OP
Royal2000H

Royal2000H

Reaction score
5. and then installed the update.zip. i didn't even wipe data or cache and it worked just fine.

Perfect. What I'm looking for. Just want to make sure though. It's not unstable or anything is it? Any force closes, etc?

Edit: If it is unstable... I can then just install Titanium. Backup his apps. Install a rom while wiping data/cache, and restore with titanium.

jasonb

Reaction score

Perfect. What I'm looking for. Just want to make sure though. It's not unstable or anything is it? Any force closes, etc?

Edit: If it is unstable... I can then just install Titanium. Backup his apps. Install a rom while wiping data/cache, and restore with titanium.

we messed with it for about an hour and saw only one force close(i pressed "wait"), it was helix launcher. it seemed perfectly stable to me. coming from ese81 to an ese81 rom shouldn't require a wipe.

and exactly like you said, if it ends up unstable for you, backup the apps then wipe and try again.

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
Well, the posts were flying fast and furious last night and you were getting all kinds of conflicting information, so much that I got confused, lol.

In answer to your post #16, it seems as though you did get a partial solution from jasonb, however it did require flashing a custom rom something which you said your brother didn't really want to do.

However to apply root without flashing some sort of custom rom would be impossible without the use of adb shell. I tried making a SPR nandroid backup of just my 'system' folder for you, but it ended up with a bunch of other stuff in it and I lack the knowledge at this time to remove the extra stuff and keep the md5 sum correct, something which I think would be neccessary for it to work. So I pulled the su binary and Superuser.apk from my phone and put it here (called ESE81RootingFiles.zip) if you want to try the adb route.

Extract the contents of that file and put them in the android sdk\tools folder, plug in the phone to your comp and then use these commands (after applying the ESE81 .sbf patch and doing a backup):

adb push su /system/bin/su
adb shell "chmod 6755 /system/bin/su"
adb push Superuser.apk /system/bin/Superuser.apk
adb shell "chomd 644 /system/app/Superuser.apk"

Reboot your phone. These were found by me elsewhere, btw I take no credit. Now the easiest way to JUST overclock and intall wireless tether (that's what this answer is all about as I read it to be the underlying theme of your whole thread), is to install ROM Manager-free from the market, let it flash the clockworkmod recovery to the phone, then go to "download Rom", select Cyanogen, then select either one of bekit's or p3droid's OC kernels.

To finish it off, you'll need both setcpu and the wireless tether apps. They're about to be found, and there's a TON of stuff in my folder below ;) cough, cough.

good luck

Last edited:

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
i tried usind rsd lite and this is the error i am getting--->failed flashing process/ unable to retrieve initialization values from ini file..... please help me out

Well, if you haven't got it fixed yet, please post a little more background/detailed info as to what OS are you using on your computer, what drivers are you using, what did (step by step) you do that got you here. I am thinking that you have either the wrong driver set, the wrong version of RSD Lite and/or haven't properly let either one install.

thx.

srothkin

Reaction score
MBP does require root for app data.

Only partially true.

I've used MyBackup Pro since November 2009 (though only for backup -- haven't needed to restore yet). I am not rooted.

Without root, MBP backs up data for applications that have specifically written support for MBP (which unfortunately is only a handful of the non-stock apps on my phone). It also backs up contacts, stock home screen icons, etc. Choosing data backup will show which installed apps it can backup data for without needing root.

Without root it also can backup the programs for all the installed apps. However, when restoring it doesn't restore the market linkage for free apps unless you are rooted.

A full backup/restore does still require root. That's why I'm also trying to figure out how to root my 2.1 Motorola Droid without losing any data -- so that I can backup with MBP and replace my Droid (the hard B key doesn't work any more).

shiggityx2

Reaction score
Ugh, ok sorry to be a total noob, I thought I was doing it correctly and read carefully, but I'm having an issue on windows 7 64bit. I got RSD to flash and it says "PASS", but the phone just reboots back to the bootloader. Suggestions?

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
Sounds OK to me. Have you tried to just go ahead and reboot the phone? If all you get is bootloader, then you might need to flash using a different .sbf file.

good luck

kdwag1

Reaction score
Rsd lite not showing connected

Any tips on why rsd lite doesn't show that my phone is connected even though i powered my droid down and pressed up and power and shows just like in video.
Also I am trying to see if there is anything i can do to run custom roms, Originally i rooted at 2.0.1 and then updated to the ota 2.1, my superuser icon is still there. I am i still rooted? what are my options as far as get rooted again and running rom and overclocking? Also I am considered a newbie, just some help and advice would be good considing where my droid is currently at.

dogdays

Reaction score
I am having the same problem with RSD Lite. I am using Vista 64 bit and a when I try to flash SPRecovery I get that same message.

Failed flashing process. Unable to retrieve initialization values for INI file (Ox7029), phone connected.

I am using a 64 bit driver and I have RSD Lite 4.5.3

I open RSD Lite find the file SPRecovery. With my phone connected I boot up holding the D pad and get to the boot strap screen. I show the device and start the process and almost immediately it fails.

dogdays

Reaction score
I down loaded RSD Lite 4.6 and now my droid does not show up. Any ideas?

dogdays

Reaction score
I updated to RSD Lite 4.6 and now my droid is not even recognized. Any ideas?