Duplicate contacts after sync with Gmail

djsexton11

Reaction score
Just got my Droid and the VZW salesman added all my contacts from my Palm to my Droid. I am trying to group my contacts by clients, coworkers, family, etc. Based upon threads in forums I uploaded my contacts to Gmail and then grouped them as I wanted. I then let the phone sync with GMail and now I have contacts that have double entries, one tagged as a Gmail Contact and another as Phone Only (unsyned) contact. Still cannot display contacts by group.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
What I would recommend is make sure you have a .csv file saved backing up your documents and linked to your G-mail account. You can edit your G-mail contacts and manually remove duplicates if they're there and then....

Wipe your contacts on your phone and then re-sync with G-mail. Should take care of any duplicates. This has happened to a couple people I know of who had VZW transfer contacts and then upon syncing with G-mail they received duplicates.

brucin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola X Pure
I almost had this problem. The CSR who took care of me wanted my old phone to put my contacts on the droid.

She insisted that they would not come over from gmail and was quite surprised after the sync finished.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I almost had this problem. The CSR who took care of me wanted my old phone to put my contacts on the droid.

She insisted that they would not come over from gmail and was quite surprised after the sync finished.

They've got good intentions but sometimes they just don't know :icon_ devil:

OP
D

djsexton11

Reaction score
Delete all contacts

Appreciate the response. Is there an easy way to delete all contacts? I do have them backed up in a couple of places.

bspill

Reaction score
You can just reset the phone, assuming you havn't made alot of changes.

RuthWt

Reaction score
Sorry, I'm really new at this, but how do I sync my phone with my gmail contacts? I thought they just updated when I edit/add them in gmail?

I have a similar problem. When I purchased the phone, the VZN sales person uploaded my contacts from my old phone and my gmail account. Now I have many duplicates in both my phone and my existing gmail account.