Dump the Iphone for the Droid? Any comments?

Nightfall

Reaction score
My wife and I have been on Cingular/AT&T for a long time now. She has just had a basic Motorola Razr while I have an Iphone. I upgraded to the 3gs last year and really enjoy it. The problem is the service, as many of you know or have heard about AT&T. I live in a city, and as long as we are in the city, the service is good. My wife just took a job in a small town just west of here, and she gets no service in the building she is in. Even my Iphone goes dead when I am in there. I get one or two bars while walking around in the town. They need more towers, but I digress....

My wife recently came to me and said this isn't going to work. She is tired of not having a phone when she is at work or on the go. Sure, when she is in the city, it works well. However, she just can't handle knowing that the service is going to not be available when she is at work. She wants to move to a new provider.

Now, I am ok with moving to a new provider. There are some issues that I need to address such as paying $200 to port our numbers to Verizon and cancel our AT&T contracts. Another thing I have to investigate is the smartphone contract. What happens if I want to upgrade a year into my two year deal? Whats the cost?

The biggest issue though is moving from the Iphone to the Droid Incredible.

I love my Iphone. Sorry all you droid users. At the same time though, I am wondering just how I am going to like this droid phone. I played with the new Incredible in the local Verizon store close to me and it is pretty neat. I really didn't get a chance to go through all the apps in the app store, but I loved the service. My at&t service in the store was at 1-2 bars while I was at full bars with Verizon. I could surf faster on their network than I could with AT&T.

With all the things I liked about the Droid incredible, I am wondering if anyone else here has made the jump from the Iphone to the Droid. What opinions do you have? Any regrets? Any feedback?

Thanks for your time!

Shusuke028

Reaction score
My SmartPhone History

Alright, my "smart" phone history is: the Samsung Behold to the iPhone 2G to the G1 to the iPhone 3G to the Droid. Frankly when I first switched from my first iPhone to the G1, I missed a lot on the iPhone, namely it's sleek interface, the themes (on a jailbroken one), and the variety of apps that were available to it. I also missed the physical feel of the iPhone compared to the G1's bulgy yet somewhat sturdy feel. The G1, however, eventually grew on me and I started getting into it. The bulging feel of it made me start looking for another option, so I got an iPhone 3G on tmobile. Now I missed the 3G service (since I'm using tmobile), but I was glad to have something I knew back... However.... about a month and a half later, I got bored with the iPhone, and now that I've satisfied my iPhone longings I finally did what I should have done a long time ago. I made the big switch from Tmo to Verizon and I have to say it's one of the best things I could have done. Verizon has the best service out of all the carriers in my opinion and the Droid is not lacking in features. Coming from the iPhone 3G's camera/video recorder. I have to say the Droid beats it. I'm back to an interface that I know and love. I also have everything I need on this phone, and I'm completely happy with my switch from the iPhone to Android (namely THE Droid)

dancedroiddancedroid​

OP
N

Nightfall

Reaction score
Thanks for letting me know your experiences. The Iphone has been the best smartphone I have ever used. To move away from it makes me a little nervous. I am a techie guy though, and I enjoy having an awesome phone. The customization of the Android really intrigues me. Since I have never owned one, I cannot answer just how cool this feature is, but it really makes me curious. To hear your experience just makes me more interested to move to it.

I suppose for someone who loves technology such as myself, the Droid may be a better fit than the Iphone.

Erron

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I think if you are moving from an iphone and don't mind the touch keyboard you should check out the incredible. Otherwise, yes get the droid.

OP
N

Nightfall

Reaction score
The incredible would be my first choice. I have been reading about some of the challenges with the incredible though. I still think that a lot of these issues will be fixed in updates to the phone. I do love the touch keyboard on the Iphone.

Reaction score
there's a Verizon iphone coming later this year if you don't mind waiting. otherwise, Droid.

OP
N

Nightfall

Reaction score
Has that been confirmed? So far all I have heard are rumors. I think June is when they would announce it. I think I can get my wife to wait for a month or so.

Darkseider

Reaction score
The incredible would be my first choice. I have been reading about some of the challenges with the incredible though. I still think that a lot of these issues will be fixed in updates to the phone. I do love the touch keyboard on the Iphone.

What challenges?

OP
N

Nightfall

Reaction score
I have read about some service related issues with the Incredible on this forum. I also know an OTA update by HTC was pushed out so maybe that relieved some issues.

Diordna

Reaction score
Nightfall. Trust me, you'll love the droid.
There have been threads on iPhone vs Droid, and why the Droid is a lot better.
The only reason you are even considering the iPhone is because you haven't played with the Droid enough I know, but trust me and this forum that you'll fall for it, have an affair with your past desires and make a new family and runaway from your friends and eat berries for the rest of your life with the droid.
..ok cancel out the unrealistic parts.

I actually think I'd stick with the original Droid rather the the incredible. Which there is also a thread floating around about that too.

All in all it shouldn't be a question or a hard choice at all, just put a blindfold on, put your arms out and fall backwards and let the droid catch you.

jcardona1

Reaction score
i havent played with the incredible yet, but from ive seen and read, its the phone to have. i wouldnt bother with the moto droid. i have it, and it's no secret on this forum that i hate it lol. it may be just my phone, but mine is extremely laggy, the browser scroll/zoom is very very choppy, battery life is horrible, to the point i dont even want to use the phone anymore. the touch screen response is nothing like what your used to on the iphone.

i would go to a verizon store and spend a GOOD amount of time playing with each phone before you move. ive told myself that if the iphone comes to verizon i'm jumping ship. i love how open and customizable android is but to be honest, all this multi tasking crap is not useable in the real world since my phone is so laggy.

another thing to keep in mind is battery life, be ready to charge these phones more than once per day. the camera is no good IMO, i like the camera on my super old samsung Flipshot a lot better. the video recording sucks because of the awful pixelation you get on every shot.

in the end, i think it varies from individual phones and how theyre built. some people say theyre phone is butter smooth, some say its a lag monster, like mine. much unlike the iphone; every one i pick up is as smooth as silk :D

good luck!

Shusuke028

Reaction score
Thanks for letting me know your experiences. The Iphone has been the best smartphone I have ever used. To move away from it makes me a little nervous. I am a techie guy though, and I enjoy having an awesome phone. The customization of the Android really intrigues me. Since I have never owned one, I cannot answer just how cool this feature is, but it really makes me curious. To hear your experience just makes me more interested to move to it.

I suppose for someone who loves technology such as myself, the Droid may be a better fit than the Iphone.

Since I don't perfectly know your preferences, I can't exactly say but if you like customization then the Droid/Incredible is for you. IMHO, since Android is more open source than Apple ever will be, it'll continue to grow at a faster rate. I guess since I had to go through jailbreaking, not updating and everything. it just felt good to have a reliable phone.

Also, if you prefer touch keyboards over physical keyboards, then check out swype for android. it's amazing. Easily the best software keyboard in my opinion.
If you like physical keyboards like me, then the Droid should satisfy you

Edit: I agree with Jcardona, it varies on which phone you get. Mine has been great from day 1 and I've had no complaints about it

Last edited:

Diordna

Reaction score
another thing to keep in mind is battery life, be ready to charge these phones more than once per day.

good luck!

Custom ROMs (mainly Bugless 1.0) has been said to really help.

Also it sounds like it is only your phone that is apparently bad?
Are you rooted with ROMs that may help your situation?

jcardona1

Reaction score
yeah ive been rooted for a long time using several versions of bugless beast. currently i'm on the 2.1 0.7 BB rom and was running 1ghz. battery life became so bad taht i had to scale it back to 550mhz. when i was OC'd my battery would be down to 15-20% by 6pm, after unplugging it at 8am. now that im back to 550mhz i can get 14-16hrs, but of course the phone is on standby for most of that time. i hardly touch my phone anymore

Darkseider

Reaction score
yeah ive been rooted for a long time using several versions of bugless beast. currently i'm on the 2.1 0.7 BB rom and was running 1ghz. battery life became so bad taht i had to scale it back to 550mhz. when i was OC'd my battery would be down to 15-20% by 6pm, after unplugging it at 8am. now that im back to 550mhz i can get 14-16hrs, but of course the phone is on standby for most of that time. i hardly touch my phone anymore

Well I am running BB .7 now with a 1Ghz kernel clocked to 800 Mhz. I get about 16 or so hours out of it and that's it. If anything I would wipe the phone and do a fresh install of BB v1.0 and the kernels suggested by Pete. Also note that by being on standby all day and getting juiced my guess would be that you are either in an area with a really crappy signal or have a bad battery. In any case I would start at a minimum by redo'ing the phone from scratch. Lastly, check to see what is eating your battery. If it is cell stand-by what it your time without signal?