Dumb quesiton about wifi sorry

armalite

Reaction score
I just got a router installed in my house today for my cable so I can use wireless when I get my new laptop next week. Do I either pay verizon or is there an app to use on my X for the wireless and is it that much faster to use my internet over the the 3G. Sorry but I really don't understand this stuff, thanks.

mkthnx001

Reaction score
If you root your phone, you can just download an application called "Wireless Tether" for free from the market, instead of paying Verizon's extra charges.

Also, wifi will be faster than 3G, if you're getting full wifi signal; if not, it varies.

aDroidman

Reaction score
The only way to get wifi through your phone is to pay Verizon or root it. If its rooted its free. You can get around 50-150 kb of date over wifi tether. This is enough to do just about anything on your computer except upload and download big files.

OP
A

armalite

Reaction score
Thank you, a bit nervous about rooting, don't understand it and don't want to void warranty. Either that or pay
Verizon the extra money a month right? thank you for responding.

aDroidman

Reaction score
It is super easy!! just follow the steps to the T and you will be fine. If you have insurance on the phone then you can just pay the 50$ and get a new one cuz you 'lost" it. It is worth rooting it only if you dont want to pay Verizon more then you do and you want to have access to everything Motorola wants you to.

OP
A

armalite

Reaction score
It is super easy!! just follow the steps to the T and you will be fine. If you have insurance on the phone then you can just pay the 50$ and get a new one cuz you 'lost" it. It is worth rooting it only if you dont want to pay Verizon more then you do and you want to have access to everything Motorola wants you to.

Thank you DF will give this some serious thought, I appreciate it :)

gmmurphy

Reaction score
I just got a router installed in my house today for my cable so I can use wireless when I get my new laptop next week. Do I either pay verizon or is there an app to use on my X for the wireless and is it that much faster to use my internet over the the 3G. Sorry but I really don't understand this stuff, thanks.

Hey bud, if. You set up a. Wireless network in your home for your cable broadband connection, it cost no additional $ to connect your x to your network. Its the equiivlant to conecting your new. Lappy to your wap. The x will find ur wifi connection and you will be good to go. The only cost. Is your cable broad band account. No app needed.

bigdog9586

Reaction score
Are you saying that you want to use your Droid to get internet on your new laptop or do you just want to use the wifi to get the internet on your DroidX? If all you want to do is get internet on the Droid using its built in wifi that is free. If you want to use the DroidX to get internet on a laptop that can't get it on its own you have to pay or root it to save not paying.

aDroidman

Reaction score
O sorry if thats what you were talking about I thought you were talking about tethering.

lowboy

Reaction score
$50
Mine is $85. What's the difference?

aDroidman

Reaction score
It depends on what insurance you have. There is a one thats like a pro and then a step down.

OP
A

armalite

Reaction score
I just want to use my droid to get the internet now that I have a router hooked up to my cable modem and desktop mac, will be getting a macbook pro on Wed. I just want to be able to load things faster on the X if I'm sitting on the couch instead of using the 3G which can be slow at times to load up images from my site.