Dropping 4g every few mins.

jmz768

Reaction score
Yes, my data would drop whenever switching.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

thmorrill

Reaction score
As an update...I went home and tried USB tethering and never got it to work so no better luck that way. Wireless tethering still has the on again off again issues. I thought perhaps the building I am staying in which is concrete block would be a factor but even sitting next to a large window didn't settle things down. I am supposed to be in a solid 4G area....

MailboxHead

Reaction score
Problems with 4G dropping are widespread and there are posts all over other forums about it. A few people have contacted Verizon and say that they were told it's a known issue, even for people in a strong 4G area.

I'm experiencing it myself and I'm in what should be a strong 4G area according to Verizon's maps. Most of the time, I'm dropping from 4G to 3G but have also seen it drop to 1X. When I'm home, I'm almost always in 3G but also drop to 1X once in a while.

I've changed the setting so that my phone uses CDMA only and have had a rock solid 3G connection since. Sure it's not as fast as 4G but it's not really affecting my enjoyment of the phone. I'm gong to give Verizon some time to work out the bugs before I switch back to letting the phone auto detect 4G and 3G.

jmz - was yours doing this since you got the phone, or has it started up recently? As of this morning I'm suddenly having the same problem, but my first few days with the phone I had no problems with 4G (I live and work in strong 4G areas).

givmedew

Reaction score
I'm in an area now designated as "4G LTE Extended Coverage Area" one block from an area designated as "4G LTE Coverage Area". In the 3G coverage map, I'm in the middle of a large 3G service area.

When 4G was announced in this area of South Florida, the entire area was identified as 4G, with no mention of a distinction called "Extended".

My experience at home: I get no 4G LTE service, usually no bars, and intermittent 3G service.

Trips deep into the area designated as "4G LTE Coverage Area" on the coverage map yielded mixed results, with several locations showing no 4G LTE service.

Verizon says they surveyed my street in response to my report and said all service was indeed "marginal". They suggested a network extender that would provide 3G service on an AT&T DSL but had no additional encouragement about 4G availability now or in the near future.

It appears that the Verizon coverage map may not be a very reliable predictor of service availability, in my case for either 3G or 4G.

I don't know I kinda disagree with you. Verizon indicates that parts of where I travel to are the extended or fringe areas. I find that this definition means that I will be having intermittent 4g connection and it seems that they are very correct. When I first saw that map I didn't think to myself maybe extended/fringe means that it will be awesome. NO in fact I felt it meant that I may have some issues and maybe even NO connectivity indoors.

Also the map that indicated the fringe areas was out LONG LONG before this phone was available for purchase SO there was definitely never ANY misdirection by Verizon which is really what you seem to be implying.

So for the others reading this. I would take what Verizon says on the map as just that a hint as to weather or not it will work. Remember they put a disclaimer you should read it. Remember buildings cause signal drop off so if you are in a fringe area and then go into a building expect poor 4G coverage.

steveinil

Reaction score
I am in the st. louis are and havent had 4g most of the day yesterday and this morning i called vzw and he said they are haveing 4g trouble everywhere and are working on the problem... for the first week of having the phone never lost 4g well other than in my basement and a few other normal spots for me not to have good data service. anyone else in the stl area having trouble?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Threads merged, this topic is going to keep coming up all the time. We will try to keep it in one area so we don't have 20 threads on the same subject.

And please remember, it's always best when you search before you post a new thread.

joewilly013

Reaction score
The issue continues to get worse for me. Two things are starting to wear out- my reset button, and my back case from all the battery pulls. Ridiculous....

NoStopN

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7
Twitter
@NoStopN
I guess the problems are still existing. I live in an area that was updated to the extended LTE area. I had been getting spotty 4G at times. I at least got it for about 15 minutes straight. I feel like I'm comfortably in a 4G zone, but the network is going haywire. I've only been on Verizon, their 4G network & the Android OS for 2 days. So far, it's less than easy for me. I basically switched everything. I was on AT&T 3G with Apple's iOS & had been happy from day one. But, I wanted 4G service. This problem is not the best way to make new customers feel good about "the network". :laugh:

lettuce chief

Reaction score
Switch to home only. Wireless and networks<mobile networks<system select. Uncheck automatic and check home only. Uncheck data roaming. Try that out, it fixed my problem. And i was havin same problem as OP

imprezu

Reaction score
Switch to home only. Wireless and networks<mobile networks<system select. Uncheck automatic and check home only. Uncheck data roaming. Try that out, it fixed my problem. And i was havin same problem as OP

I tried that with no luck. My hotspot works for a few minutes then it continuously disconnects and reconnects and I live in a 3g only area.

ratkil

Reaction score
Hello Android people,

I was doing my biweekly search to see if Verizon, or anyone, has fixed the 4G problem and came across this forum.

Let me just extend a warm Verizon LTE woes group welcome to you all. This problem has existed since the roll out in December. the problem appears to be new connections can't be made (or data from new connections can't be retrieved) but existing connections stay up. In other words if you play a game or have a vpn, it will continue to work, but if you try to go to a new web page, it will time out. disconnecting and reconnecting will fix it temporarily. Also a ping will work fine, but a traceroute gets lost or takes forever. It's got to be a network problem, but they can't fix it.

Not sure on the Android side but the 4G Modem side the tech people are finally acknowledging that there are huge problems. No clue on when it will be fixed, or if they are even focusing on it.

Sorry for bad news, but rest assured you are not alone...

NoStopN

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7
Twitter
@NoStopN
Wonderful. [/end sarcasm] Hopefully if it's a network problem, it can be found quickly & we can get back to enjoying the network.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
i've had the same problem other day after experimenting with internet connection mode, which completely killed data on my phone and i had to pull the battery to restore it. after battery pull i got my 4g service back but it kept disappearing every few seconds and was impossible to have a steady streaming connection.

i was able to fix it myself by dialing *#*#4636#*#*, then chose phone information, then set preferred network type. i was on cdma+lte/evdo originally and i switched to lte mode. that fixed my 4g drops. after playing with that network for few minutes i went back and switched it to original cdma+lte/evdo and haven't had problems since.

hope this helps someone with 4g drops.