Dropped the Droid in the tub!

siuc1996

Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago, I was giving the little one a bath. While she was happily playing away, I slipped my phone out of my pocket and tried to quickly check some email. Sure enough, she started to get a little crazy with the toys and slipped backwards just a bit. Freaked me out and I reach over the tub to grab her. In the meantime, the Droid in my hand flew out and ka-splash! Right down to the bottom of the tub. After making sure she was fine, I grabbed the phone out and about had a panic attack. I shut it off and did some praying. Because I am an impatient fool, I decided to turn it on later that evening to see what damage had been done. It turned on just fine and the only thing I could find wrong was no sound was coming out of the earpiece during calls but the speakerphone worked. I figured if that was the worst thing, I could deal with it. After a few more hours of drying, the phone started working just fine and my calls came through loud and clear.

I can't believe I actually dunked it in the tub and now it is working just fine. This thing is a beast! I know I should have never turned it back on that quickly without allowing it to dry completely but like I said, I'm just too impatient for the wait. I wanted to let others know in the same situation that the phone may turn out just fine.

SANhacker

Reaction score
Glad to hear it worked out for you.
I ran a Moto Razr through the washing machine (in the back pocket of my jeans) and after leaving it outside for a couple of days I turned it on. Low and behold, it worked fine.

Took a licking and kept on ticking.

Most of you aren't old enough to remember those Timex commercials.

Detonation

Reaction score
As scary as getting electronics wet is, it sounds like if you allow time for them to dry and don't turn them on, things may turn out all right. I spilled half a nalgene of water on my laptop. I frantically grabbed a flash drive and copied everything important I could to it before the laptop crashed minutes later. I pulled the battery and put both in front of a fan for 24 hours. Low and behold it turned up once dry and has since seemed to work fine.

At least with water that is. Something like soda could have been a whole different story.

Reaction score
The drying process may be significantly aided by putting the device in a bowl of rice. Or so I've heard.

I've heard this as well, but I heard the rice powder can screw with the inside...dry using a desiccant packets (the things that come with leather). Not sure how well it would work though...

Daver

Reaction score
The drying out is always worth trying....what gets me in these situations is that the devices are usually on when they get drowned. It's just luck of the draw if it fries from that first dunking, I guess if you survive that and let it dry out you may get lucky. Congrats to the OP for it working out haha.

schertz7

Reaction score
This is exactly how my Dare met its demise. It works for like two months after then just never found signal. everything else worked just wouldnt dial out or send messages.