Dropped Droid off a dock, was underwater for ~5min.

deputc26

Reaction score
I went sailing the other day and am still a little clumsy from a foot injury, long story short, my droid flew out of my pocket into about 5 feet of water, I can't get the dressing on my injured foot wet so I scooped it off the bottom with a fishing net. The phone was powered down before it fell in the water, I waited a day and half and put the battery back in and tried to turn it on. The "M" appeared for a second and then nothing. What are my odds it can be made to work? any advice? no insurance on it cause I'm running it pre-paid.

bomber889

Reaction score
If it was fully submerged for 5 minutes , its probably gone. But if you search, theres a thread on how to properly dry a droid.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
i doubt youre gonna have any luck. that long is long enough for the water to get to all parts of the phone and soak. sorry to be a negative nancy but the outlook isnt too positive.

some of my friends have used this and there has been some positive results

How to Save a Wet Cell Phone - wikiHow

Erron

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Yea, you needed to leave it off for about 3 days to totally dry it. you probably fried it when you turned it on.

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
Man that sucks, sorry to hear. I doubt you'll get it back, but I've heard of stranger things.

Travis798

Reaction score
Although it's probably gone, I suppose there is always hope.

I once had a cd player in an old truck that drank more Dr Pepper and Crown and Coke than I did. One day it finally quit working, I cleaned everything I could with alcohol, and it stayed dead for about 6 months before finally working again. Worked like a charm after that until I sold the truck some 2 years later.

OP
deputc26

deputc26

Reaction score
yah I'm pretty sure I fried it when I turned it on too. thanks for the link Hook.

jcboyett

Reaction score
Last weekend my droid was submerged in pond water and I got an insurance replacement. When I went to turn the other phone in I tried to see if the old battery worked in the new phone, cuz I was gon keep the battery. It didn't... so I tried the new battery in the old (submerged) phone... IT WORKED PERFECTLY. Try a different battery before you do anything major

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Cup half full: now you have a reason to get an Incredible....

Sorry to hear that dude, but I concur, it takes a bit longer than 36 hours to fully dry the phone, and if it didnt short out when you dropped it in the water, I'm betting you did when you turned it on...

Either way, my condolences.

droidgirl1

Reaction score
Bummer, Sounds like a good time to ask if anyone has used the Aquapac Handheld case.

Thanks!:)

jcboyett

Reaction score
I still think you should try a different battery. True mine wasn't under for a full 5 min. But I did try turning it on right afterwards (like a dumb*ss) and just got the M logo, and then it went off. It would do this several times, but eventually when I tried to turn it on it just didn't work. But a new battery made it work, crazy huh

iPirate

Reaction score
On a positive note, flying be added to the list of things Droid does.

OP
deputc26

deputc26

Reaction score
Haha! thanks for all the responses I will try the battery thing and did someone say there is a waterproof case available? If so I will buy it, I am always in bad weather.

I dropped in a river near the mouth while the tide was going out so it wasn't too salty.