Dropped call/bad sound issues

hoosiermama

Reaction score
My son and I both got new Droids on 4/10. Mine seems ok (aside from the battery life, which stinks), but periodically I lose calls. MUCH more frequently than with my old LG Dare.

My son's phone on the other hand is awful. He can't get a signal in his house most of the time. EVERY time we talk on the phone, the call gets lost. He loses virtually every call he makes or receives. Most of the time, if you call him back, you can't hear him because the sound is so distorted.

Both of us can watch the signal bars go from 5 to 1 to nothing, all while standing in the same spot.

So my question is...do you think this is an issue with his phone? Is it an issue with Verizon's network? Is the 3G signal that much more sensitive that calls get lost more, and the signal fluctuates so badly? Why could he get a great signal with his old phone, but now can't get one with the new, in the same house?

So far, I have to say, the Droid experience is disappointing. If you can't use a phone to make a basic phone call, then what's the point? And yes, he's going back to the Verizon store today to try to get a replacement (and it better be a NEW phone).

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
My son and I both got new Droids on 4/10. Mine seems ok (aside from the battery life, which stinks), but periodically I lose calls. MUCH more frequently than with my old LG Dare.

My son's phone on the other hand is awful. He can't get a signal in his house most of the time. EVERY time we talk on the phone, the call gets lost. He loses virtually every call he makes or receives. Most of the time, if you call him back, you can't hear him because the sound is so distorted.

Both of us can watch the signal bars go from 5 to 1 to nothing, all while standing in the same spot.

So my question is...do you think this is an issue with his phone? Is it an issue with Verizon's network? Is the 3G signal that much more sensitive that calls get lost more, and the signal fluctuates so badly? Why could he get a great signal with his old phone, but now can't get one with the new, in the same house?

So far, I have to say, the Droid experience is disappointing. If you can't use a phone to make a basic phone call, then what's the point? And yes, he's going back to the Verizon store today to try to get a replacement (and it better be a NEW phone).

Dropped calls indicate a signal issue, specially if it happens in one area. I had a signal issue, called Verizon and it took them about 4 days but they did fix it.

If you're not seeing 3G on your phone in a particular area, that's a clue as well.

Your son's problem however may be something different. I think you both should update your PRL's *228 option 2 and see if that doesn't help. Also your son can get into the phone's programming by going to ##Program (on the phone dialer) press the green dial button password is 000000 select 04 and switch to EVRC-B and apply. This should improve sound quality for him.

Good luck and let us know if this works for you.

huskur

Reaction score

The 2.1 update with the new baseband has caused this issue. Verizon has no solution except to change your VOcode and to do a *228 option 2 to update roaming capabilities (tower awareness) It helps but not the right solution. I expect verizon to have a small update to fix this issue since it is so common. Give it a few months or if you are comfortable just root and install a custom stable ROM. I run UD10 and it is stable and smooth and zero voice issues. Cyanogen is another good ROM just as Bugless Beast, Simply stunning, ect.......

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The 2.1 update with the new baseband has caused this issue. Verizon has no solution except to change your VOcode and to do a *228 option 2 to update roaming capabilities (tower awareness) It helps but not the right solution. I expect verizon to have a small update to fix this issue since it is so common. Give it a few months or if you are comfortable just root and install a custom stable ROM. I run UD10 and it is stable and smooth and zero voice issues. Cyanogen is another good ROM just as Bugless Beast, Simply stunning, ect.......

Sorry huskur, respectfully I disagree.

I have no phone issues and neither does my wife. I spend a fair amount of time in the forums and I don't see anything that allows me to conclude that 2.1 has a calling issue any different then what we saw in 2.0.1 or 2.0.0. Well actually there was a calling issue on 2.0.0 but they sent out a fix I think a week after it went out.

OP
H

hoosiermama

Reaction score
I think you both should update your PRL's *228 option 2 and see if that doesn't help.

We've both done *228. I have no idea what a VOCode is :), but it sounds technical. *228 seemed to help mine, but has made no difference for him. Waiting a few months isn't feasible--he doesn't have a landline, so his cell is is only calling option. It's literally impossible to use the Droid as a phone, at this point. Right now, it's a VERY expensive texting/web surfing device only.

He's going into the Verizon store today to get a replacement phone. I called 611 this morning, and had them add a note that he will be coming in for a new replacement. Tried to call him to tell him that, and we lost connection 3 times. Hopefully this one will work better. He's on my account, so hopefully I don't need to be with him to do it.

OP
H

hoosiermama

Reaction score
As a follow up, he did go into the Verizon store and got a replacement phone. He now gets a good signal in his house, and we had an entire conversation on the phone without getting cut off. A definite improvement!

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Just a side note. You should not get so frustrated when a new high tech device doesn't work perfectly. This is what warranties are for. If it doesn't function right take it back. Getting overly mad about it can taint what should be an awsome device. As you can see most of us have no issues. Quality controls can't catch everything all the time. The Droid is an awsome phone and I hope this initial experience doesn't tarnish that for you.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
H

hoosiermama

Reaction score
Just a side note. You should not get so frustrated when a new high tech device doesn't work perfectly. This is what warranties are for. If it doesn't function right take it back. Getting overly mad about it can taint what should be an awsome device. As you can see most of us have no issues. Quality controls can't catch everything all the time. The Droid is an awsome phone and I hope this initial experience doesn't tarnish that for you.

It hasn't! I agree it's an awesome phone. The frustration was more in trying to pinpoint whose phone was acting up, and just trying to get thru a simple phone call! Now that he's got a replacement, he's a happy camper, so that means Mom is, too.