Droids vs. M/G/X

mcraeh

Reaction score
So after watching the video event today (where they didn't say much beyond what has been already printed by all the media people there yesterday), I am wondering what is the major difference between the droid branded products and these models? I have the old RAZR Maxx, and really want to upgrade. The new X looks pretty cool except for the battery and maybe the missing SD card slot. And then I have heard the rumors of perhaps three new droids to be released, all before Christmas as well. So I'm inclined to wait for the turbo, but I just am wondering what the main difference will be, considering that not all the droids have the extreme battery life that the Maxx does. And what has been the difference all along? I never realized Moto had so many different phones out there.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
When the 2013 Droids first came out there was the Ultra, Maxx and Mini. The Ultra and Mini did not have the bigger battery like the Maxx. The Maxx has a monster battery and it is pretty awesome. I have a Maxx and my wife has a Moto X. Other than the physical differences (the Maxx is quite a bit bigger where the Moto X fits in one hand a little better, etc, etc.) they are pretty similar inside. Both have Active Display, Touchless Control and the other new Moto functions, like Assist, Alert & Connect. The Maxx (and any new Droids) is a Verizon exclusive, so only Verizon will carry it. All major carriers have the Moto X (I believe). The Moto X has the Spotlight Player, that's one thing the Maxx does not have. The other minor differences I have seen so far is that her Dialer app (Phone) and Contacts app (People) look a little different than mine. Moto does have a lot of phones in the market right now (Maxx, Mini, Moto X, G and E and even the Razr M is still in the stores) and quite a few new models coming out. It's hard to pick one from pictures, spec sheets and videos. The best is to probably head to a Verizon store or a Best Buy and put your hands on all of them to find the one that you like the best. At the end of the day, you have to be happy with it, that's what matters...not just a spec sheet.

OP
M

mcraeh

Reaction score
Yes, I am starting to wonder... if I should just buy an older one. I don't really care about the upgraded displays on all the new models, that make the phones too big to handle and the battery life even worse. But I do have lag issues on my current Maxx, so I was hoping to get a newer one with the upgraded processor. It seems that all the newer phones are way too big for my liking, and even if they have good batteries like the Maxx, the displays will run them down much faster. How does the old Moto X stand up in battery life? These things are hard to tell from playing with them in the store, and I've already had to pay one restocking fee to return my Samsung when I found that its radio was terrible.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Yes, I am starting to wonder... if I should just buy an older one. I don't really care about the upgraded displays on all the new models, that make the phones too big to handle and the battery life even worse. How does the old Moto X stand up in battery life? These things are hard to tell from playing with them in the store, and I've already had to pay one restocking fee to return my Samsung when I found that its radio was terrible.

It's my wife's phone so I don't use it every day...but she gets through a normal day most of the time before needing a re-charge; anywhere from 8 - 12 hours of moderate use. She is on Facebook a lot, watches You Tube videos, sends a lot of texts, reads e-mails, etc. Overall, if that's the size you like I don't think you can go wrong with the current Moto X. It was a real toss-up for me deciding between that and the Droid Maxx.

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Droids are Verizons variants. They run very similar to the motos...

Sent from my XT1060

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Droids are Verizons variants. They run very similar to the motos...

Sent from my XT1060
Internally they are very similar .. But don't try to buy a tempered glass screen protector for a droid lol..

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
[QUOTE="mcraeh, post: 2551021, How does the old Moto X stand up in battery life? [/QUOTE]

I was able to pry her phone away for a little while . 14 hours off the charger, with moderate use (a few emails, lots of texts, a few calls, checking Facebook, etc) and at 36% battery. Not too shabby!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

OP
M

mcraeh

Reaction score
Hmm, that is pretty good. That's about the same as I'm getting on my Maxx, two years later. It used to be a lot better of course, but seems to have degraded a lot. But even with that, it can still get me through the day (well, mostly, depending on how many phone calls I get).

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The moto x us known for its battery life. Be interesting to see if the new x can if not I would suggest users go with the next droid maxx if they need extra battery life. Unfortunately the droid line phone take longer to get updates then the moto x as Verizon add their software and like to take their time testing it. The fact that the moto x and droid are identical in hardware there is no reason why the droids can not get updated when the x does yet the x get the newest updates sometimes before some nexus devices and yet the droid line phones take forever to get updated.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

OP
M

mcraeh

Reaction score
Actually, that doesn't bother me too much. A friend of mine has the Maxx HD and everything went downhill when it was updated to KitKat. She unfortunately is having to wait another 8 months to upgrade, and she has the same lag issues I do, but I'm stuck on Jelly Bean (at least I can still swype though). As long as the phone is working the way I want it to, it doesn't really bother me to miss out on the updates. In fact, I wonder if they don't cause more problems than they solve sometimes. At any rate, I guess I'll hold out for another few weeks to see what they will announce regarding the droids. I just wonder why they don't put the good battery in more models, it seems like a good feature anyone would want.

jspradling7

Reaction score
I understand your concerns mcraeh, about the devices getting bigger and displays eating more battery. Late last week I went back to my G2 for my work phone and put the M8 and G3 in a drawer. The G2 is simply a better overall design for me with its physical size, battery life, and camera. The G3 brought a replaceable battery but the increase in size and battery draining display just isn't worth it.

I want the New Moto X. I have the current Moto X as my personal phone and it sips on yhe battery and lasts longer than you would expect. So I'm not concerned with the new X's battery size. I'm hoping to be as happy with the new X as I am with the G2 and current Moto X so I can make it my work phone. I have no desire for a Droid version. Too much verizon stuff and late updates.

OP
M

mcraeh

Reaction score
I want the New Moto X. I have the current Moto X as my personal phone and it sips on yhe battery and lasts longer than you would expect. So I'm not concerned with the new X's battery size. I'm hoping to be as happy with the new X as I am with the G2 and current Moto X so I can make it my work phone. I have no desire for a Droid version. Too much verizon stuff and late updates.

Ok, so question for you jspradling7, what is it about the new Moto X that you want to have to replace your current Moto X? I really like the specs on the new model, but it is going to be way too big for me I think. I found a site that had comparisons of the physical dimensions of the phones with other models, and it looks to be good bit bigger than my older Maxx, which is really bigger than I wanted, and certainly anything larger will just be too much for me. So I'm trying to figure out what I will be missing if I just go with the older X. Verizon is giving them away for free now with the 2 year contract of course.

Nexuspoint

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy Note 3 (Verizon)
I'm interested in the new Turbo to be frank. The specs look ridiculous and I for one am very interested in the specs. It seems to me also that with bigger phones one tends to get longer battery life, prob because they can fit a bigger battery in there... My Note 3 can get 3 days sometimes if not using my LG G watch on Bluetooth. I understand you all don't want big phones but for me its worth the trade offs to get better battery life and be able to browse the web and read ebooks comfortably. The Turbo on the other hand (rumored to have a 5.2" screen) would probably suffice for me and with the rumored specs I'd be interested in that phone even at full retail price whatever that might be. Can't wait to learn more about the Turbo!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk