Droid's Multimedia Station

craigtaz

Reaction score
I have an icon at the top of my screen that says, "Connected to Multimedia Station." When I drag the icon down, it says "Select to Open Launcher", but when I do, nothing happens.

I'm a total Droid newbie....what is a Multimedia Station?

Craig

MNTNBKR

Reaction score
The multimedia station is a desktop cradle that when your phone is in it shows the weather, music, etc on the screen. The multimedia mode is activated by a magnet placed near the back of the phone (or with an app). Is your droid in a case that has a magnet in it?

mark1wat

Reaction score
I have an icon at the top of my screen that says, "Connected to Multimedia Station." When I drag the icon down, it says "Select to Open Launcher", but when I do, nothing happens.

Craig

The multimedia station is a docking station for your droid. You set your phone in it and it turns your phone into a kind of bedside clock while charging your phone.

A magnet near or touching the back in just the right place could cause it to go into this mode.

OP
C

craigtaz

Reaction score
The multimedia station is a desktop cradle that when your phone is in it shows the weather, music, etc on the screen. The multimedia mode is activated by a magnet placed near the back of the phone (or with an app). Is your droid in a case that has a magnet in it?
It was, but it is out of the case at the moment. Will I harm the Droid if I continue to use the case with the magnetic closure?

mark1wat

Reaction score
I don't think it will go to sleep in the dock mode. You may use extra battery when left in the case for long periods.

JohnnyDepth

Reaction score

Craig

Don't worry...
I too have a case, and it has a magnet inside of it.

Sometimes my Droid goes into Car Dock mode, while on other instances it will also go into the MultiMedia Mode.
(usually through the use of the MM Dock) Our Droids respond to magnets in certain placements.

I have actually had a problem with my case once...
The Droid wouldn't recover.

My advice to you is to make certain you put your Droid to "sleep"
(top button-push for a moment) then put your Droid into the case.

This is what I do and it does not happen anymore.

MNTNBKR

Reaction score
There is an app that prevents the Droid from going into either multimedia or car dock modes. I can't remember the name though... Someone will chime in with it though.

Also fyi, location of the magnet isn't what determines car / multimedia mode, it's the polarity of the magnet does.:)

mark1wat

Reaction score
I thought I would do a little experiment. I put my phone to sleep and then stuck a magnet to the area that turns it to dock mode. It turned on and went into dock mode, the after a short time went back to sleep.

I guess this is different only when power is going to it, because in the dock, it will not go to sleep.

My guess is that is will be fine, but it will just go to car mode for a short time every time you put it in the case.

Istus

Reaction score
The droid will only stay on if sufficient power has been given to it and it is in either dock mode (or you have the screen always stay on when charging Menu > Settings > Applications > Development > Stay Awake). I used to use my mmdock using the USB adapter to my computer, but as has been mentioned, this is not enough juice to run the phone and charge at the same time. If you run in the mmdock via the wall outlet, the droid screen will stay on. This is also the same behavior for when the droid is in the car dock using the VZW vehicle adapter.

The "launcher" you refer to in the OP is the clock mode with the red background. You'll have weather and multimedia controls right there. If, while you are viewing this clock, you tap on "Select to open launcher," you will see no changes. If you are on any other screen (home, browser, email etc...) and tap "Selection to open launcher," you will be taken directly to the clock.

Maryf

Reaction score
multimedia station connection

This has just happened to my droid, too. I've carried the Droid in a bag with a magnet for several months without a problem. Now I know not to. But how do I get rid of the notification? I pull down the menu, tap "select to open launcher," but nothing happens. What to do? thanks

Gillyanne

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
VZW Note 3
This has just happened to my droid, too. I've carried the Droid in a bag with a magnet for several months without a problem. Now I know not to. But how do I get rid of the notification? I pull down the menu, tap "select to open launcher," but nothing happens. What to do? thanks

I had the problem with the icon being there but not connected to anything (and no magnets in sight that I know if, it just didn't kick off when I removed it from the dock this AM).

I completely powered down my droid and turned it back on and the icon's gone.

Maryf

Reaction score
:)Thanks. I powered down and back up again and the icon has disappeared. :icon_ banana: