Droid3 Update is Leaked; Adds GTalk with Video, Bug Fixes & More

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
droid-3-full-press-pic.jpg

Some devs over at XDA were able to get a leaked version of the newest update for the Droid 3, and have generously put it on the Web for all of us to enjoy. According to the report this update was pulled, and is mot likely just a "test update." Still, it adds GTalk with Video support and fixes some other assorted bugs. Here's a tidbit of the changelog that was posted by XDA member Scottml:
  • BP upgrade for the Radio
  • Talk2 for Video
  • Boot.img patch
  • Recovery.img patch
  • Various patches to alot of system files
  • And some stupid bloatware patches as well.
Here's a quote from the TalkAndroid guys with instructions and downloads:
This update can be rooted, but you should be unrooted, and at stock before updating.

Just download this zip file and put it on your SD card. Reboot your DROID 3 into recovery using “adb reboot recovery” and then install the zip file.

You can re-root afterwards using this file.

Please understand that this most likely won’t be the official build to be released so if you update, you will be stuck at this version unless an SBF comes out or there is another update path.

Source: TalkAndroid and XDA Developers

aramos87

Reaction score
So is there no way to install this to my phone without root??

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Related D3 question: I'm a D1 owner with contract expiring soon, and I'm really lusting after the D3. In particular, I don't mind giving up 4G for the physical keyboard. Any other issues a potential owner should think about? One in particular is whether the bootloader is still locked/encrypted? I've really enjoyed a fully-rooted D1. :) Advice from other D3 owners? -Matt

aramos87

Reaction score
Related D3 question: I'm a D1 owner with contract expiring soon, and I'm really lusting after the D3. In particular, I don't mind giving up 4G for the physical keyboard. Any other issues a potential owner should think about? One in particular is whether the bootloader is still locked/encrypted? I've really enjoyed a fully-rooted D1. :) Advice from other D3 owners? -Matt

I bought my D3 the day it came out and personally I love it, I wasnt sure how I would feel about not having 4G but so far I havent minded at all. The keyboard is amazing and definitely makes up for that..I havent Rooted it yet due to no SBF out, but I am pretty sure the bootloader is still locked on it ( anyone correct me if i am wrong ). Last I read it was... but I also know that the Moto Photon received an update that unlocked it recently and I'm staying hopefull that VZ will come to their senses and allow the same for out Moto devices... But all in all the D3 is an excellent choice for an upgrade IMO, its fast with great battery life and a great keyboard as well.. and I do believe its only a matter of time before we get an unlocked bootloader (update or awesome devs figuring it out)..

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Awesome, thanks! Two quick questions. First, can you say a little more about battery life? Typical use for me on the D1 is pull from dock in morning, put back in dock (around 50%) at night. Second, are you running Blur, or do you have another launcher installed over it? Oh, sorry...just remembered another thing: heard several complaints about "bloat". Couldn't you just install Titanium and have it uninstall unwanted stock apps (isn't that "Chuck Norris" Mode)? -Matt

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
D1 to D3 - Massive improvement, tremendous upgrade.

D3 - locked bootloader, Root easy to gain, can use titanium backup (once rooted) to freeze bloatware (currently best to freeze as things like this update check for some files and fail if missing. Quick "defrost" using Titanium before installing does the trick).

This update. You do not need to be rooted to install and you do NOT need to "un-root" to install it either. Download/copy to your /sdcard (or /sdcard-ext if you have one inserted.....Recovery will mount the physical card as /sdcard unlike the phone mounting it as /sdcard-ext).

Boot to recovery (hold X on keyboard, turn on), once in recovery hold Volume + then tap Volume - (brings up menu). Use select install .zip from /sdcard, choose it and press I think (can't recall) power to select. Wait.

Re-root phone after, re-freeze bloatware after.

aramos87

Reaction score
Sure.. as far as the battery life goes.. I take it off in the morning (@ about 530am) and work in a poor signal area and when im off of work at around 2 i have about 70% still with syncing apps like Gmail,FB and Twitter running in background.. by the time i get home after school its usually down to about 40% which is about 800pm... with moderate use. There are days where i drain it down to about 20% or so when class is boring or work is slow though.. but My roommate has the same phone and doesnt use twitter or FB and gets about 2 days out of light/moderate use.. so the battery is definitely an improvement IMO..

As far as UI, when i first got it i jumped right into using ADW EX due to some of the BLUR actions and transitions... the main one that bothered me was the app drawer, when i would long press an icon to add to home it would pop up an option menu instead of taking me to the home screen to place it where i wanted to... but after a Factory reset ive stayed with blur and ive got the hang of it now.. its honestly not that bad.. better than previous versions.

And the Bloat... well you need root to run titatnium.. which we do have root now so that is an option.. but the phone does come stock with a pretty nifty task manager.. where you can enable it to auto close apps when you turn the screen off... and it actually works very well... that is if you dont go the root route. And in all honesty I dont notice to many of those bloat apps even running in the background except for ones with sevices, i just close the services (Settings>Applications>Running Services) , everytime i reboot the phone and they dont turn on again until power is cycled again.

I Hope I answered all of your questions... I really do love this phone.. i was thinking of waiting for the Bionic to come out.. but when this one dropped i picked it up because i got tired of waiting.. and i have no regrets.. even with the Bionic due to come out next week.. i have no intention of upgrading anytime soon..

aramos87

Reaction score
you're supposed to install it without being rooted

Ok that was a dumb question I guess.. haha... I did read somewhere though that we need to flash it using recovery..it kind of threw me off... so is that just powering on holding power and x? then flashing it using rsdlite? or what?

apotheosis415

Reaction score
Cam and reboot fix?

Can anyone confirm or deny a fix for the auto focus camcorder issue or the random reboots issues? Thanks ya'll!

compasst

Reaction score
Can anyone confirm or deny a fix for the auto focus camcorder issue or the random reboots issues? Thanks ya'll!

I suggest you spend some time on the Motorola Droid3 forum = supportforums.motorola.com. Lots of threads about lots of issues with the phone. Some folks experience way more issues than others. I, for one, have few issues with my phone, so it appears to me that there are software AND hardware issues.

apotheosis415

Reaction score
really rook?

I suggest you spend some time on the Motorola Droid3 forum = supportforums.motorola.com. Lots of threads about lots of issues with the phone. Some folks experience way more issues than others. I, for one, have few issues with my phone, so it appears to me that there are software AND hardware issues.

Obviously you didn't see that I have 18 posts on here. Check those topics on Moto blog and you'll see me all over it. same UN. And one of the ones who found a temp fix to the reboots on the moto blogs. This is my 2nd phone, The question was asking for specifics on the patch. Not looking for a "google it" reply.

Thanks anyway rook.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Obviously you didn't see that I have 18 posts on here. Check those topics on Moto blog and you'll see me all over it. same UN. And one of the ones who found a temp fix to the reboots on the moto blogs. This is my 2nd phone, The question was asking for specifics on the patch. Not looking for a "google it" reply.

Thanks anyway rook.
Wait, is this a pissing contest between 18 and 4 posts? :)

Sorry, I have trouble reading sarcasm off of forums. And sorry for any unintended thread hijacking. And thanks to the D3 owners for the useful comments. I'm technically up for an upgrade ($150 I think) but I'd love to see an Amazon or Wirefly sale on the D3. Right now they're hothothot and not cheap.

-Matt

apotheosis415

Reaction score
Wait, is this a pissing contest between 18 and 4 posts? :)

Sorry, I have trouble reading sarcasm off of forums. And sorry for any unintended thread hijacking. And thanks to the D3 owners for the useful comments. I'm technically up for an upgrade ($150 I think) but I'd love to see an Amazon or Wirefly sale on the D3. Right now they're hothothot and not cheap.

-Matt

Nah, I just get irritated with new people who tell you to look elsewhere when I posted about these issues days after the phone released. On moto blog and here. I mention his post count cause I find it odd to get refereed elsewhere by a newbie..... anyway, 420 you kill it. Id hold off on D3 man. lots of bugs that are down right annoying. Lets hope this new update fixes some of this ish in a month or so...

all love, :)