Droid X Upgrade Price from Droid

Nblufire12

Reaction score
Hello guys,

I bought a new Moto Droid as well as a 2 year plan in February with Verizon.

However, I'm getting tired of the sluggish Moto Droid and I want something snappier. How much will it cost me to upgrade to the Droid X? It's only been like 4 and a half months, but the Droid X is hella better than the Droid... Will it cost me $200, $300... $600?!

Any help is appreciated,

Thanks!

xXbrick84Xx

Reaction score
Hello guys,

I bought a new Moto Droid as well as a 2 year plan in February with Verizon.

However, I'm getting tired of the sluggish Moto Droid and I want something snappier. How much will it cost me to upgrade to the Droid X? It's only been like 4 and a half months, but the Droid X is hella better than the Droid... Will it cost me $200, $300... $600?!

Any help is appreciated,

Thanks!

Its more than likely gonna cost the full 599..... only because you JUST got your Droid and your not eligible for an early upgrade. I bought mine in Nov of 09 and I'm looking to buy a Droid X also, but I'm pretty sure I'm gonna have to pay the full price for it, which is wayyyy expensive lol. But I'm not sure, so maybe someone else will tell you different. I would like to know too :)

Brick

P.S. Welcome to the forums!! :)

OP
N

Nblufire12

Reaction score
Nooo that's the worst possible news!!!

Is there a way for me to sell my Droid to cut into that huge $600 chunk?

Or even trade-in? That's killer :'(

sportadic22

Reaction score
moto droid...sluggish? man you must have a stock droid or something.. my phone has only been sluggish for about 5 days in its life.. the first 5 days i had it :p before i came on here and OC the baby!
now its ripppingg

OP
N

Nblufire12

Reaction score
What do you mean? I use my Task manager a lot to kill apps that I'm not using... I usually have around 35 megs... then i kill them all and i have around 70-100

It takes a while to load up apps and shift through menus.

How did you make yours faster... what does stock droid mean?

sportadic22

Reaction score
the speed of the phone... i think the stock (from store) droid comes at 550mhz ... i ROOTED my phone... installed a new ROM.. and KERNEL (kernel is what determines the speed basically) My phone is now running at 1100mhz. double the stock phone speed :)
look around on the forums..in the hack section and droid section.. to learn about it. there is alot you can learn and do to your phone to customize it and make it one of your own

OP
N

Nblufire12

Reaction score
Oh my goodnes... that's AWESOME!!!

Any downsides of rooting? I'm hesitant if it breaks any ToS with Motorola. What if I drop it or something?

robyr

Reaction score
Your task manager usage is the root of your problems. Stop doing that.

OP
N

Nblufire12

Reaction score
Really? When I kill all the apps I don't use, it runs a lot faster...

robyr

Reaction score
I can flatly say I don't believe you. When you are not using an application out right, Android will sleep the process. The only thing that will keep running is background services. Killing the applications like you are doing is only making the services restart ad-nauseum. Read some of the excellent information on the boards, and if you are still feeling froggy (which you should after reading the information) root your phone, and upgrade to 2.2. The upgrade to 2.2 made me about as happy as I could ever be with my Droid. I did it on the first day I had it.

OP
N

Nblufire12

Reaction score
Oh ok I guess I'll stop using task killer. I'll read up on rooting my droid.

If I root it can I still get official updates? Froyo comes out July 13th officially

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I can flatly say I don't believe you. When you are not using an application out right, Android will sleep the process. The only thing that will keep running is background services. Killing the applications like you are doing is only making the services restart ad-nauseum. Read some of the excellent information on the boards, and if you are still feeling froggy (which you should after reading the information) root your phone, and upgrade to 2.2. The upgrade to 2.2 made me about as happy as I could ever be with my Droid. I did it on the first day I had it.

everyone has their own opinions on taskillers. some apps are poorly designed and NEED to be closed when done using it to avoid it killing the battery. but hey do what u want..

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Oh ok I guess I'll stop using task killer. I'll read up on rooting my droid.

If I root it can I still get official updates? Froyo comes out July 13th officially

you can still get the update but it will take away root permissions - some ROMS (that can be installed) will block the update (so you can keep the rom)

robyr

Reaction score
After you are root, and able to flash custom ROMs, why would you ever *want* to use the official updates? The guys that make the ROMs are already way ahead of stock Droid updates, and you have unlimited flexibility. You can, however, still use the OTA upgrades if you wish. It is not a big deal to flash back to a backup and then install the upgrade.

However, I will take this time to say this: YOU ONLY HAVE THIS OPTION BECAUSE YOU *AREN'T* ON THE DROID X. According to information coming out in the scene, the DX will be no where near as customizable and supportive of community modification. I also thought about trading in my Droid (I am still within my 30-day return period) but I am leaning HEAVILY toward keeping it now that these details are coming out.