Droid X or wait for Dual Core

2E151

Reaction score
I'm in a huge dilemma and I need some honest advice from the droid community. I currently have a blackberry that I can barely justify having a data plan on. I’ve wanted a real smart-phone for two years. The Droid X seems to be the best option on the table with Verizon, however I keep hearing that by the end of this year or early next we’ll see the first dual core smartphones hit the street. That’s 6 months away.

Should I wait on the dual core? Will that be the next huge leap, or am I better off biting the bullet and getting the X? I realize everything becomes outdated in acouple of months, but no one wants to get stuck on the tail end of a technology when the next great leap takes off.

appdaddy

Reaction score
Well since I can't upgrade yet, I have no problem waiting for the dual core processors :p But the X is looking to bust some serious a$$... So, if you can't wait the X is far from a bad choice but that's imo.

smokiedabong

Reaction score
There's always going to be a new phone just around the corner , when the dual core , 800Mhz phone will be out , another one with dual core 1.4 Ghz and better architecture will be announced . Anyway the dual core phone won't be out this year for sure , maybe Q1-Q2 of 2011 . But why make a 2 yr contract if you want to change your phone when something better will be out ? You are only saving 60$ , so you get tied up for a whole year only to save 60 $ but if you want to quit earlier to get a new phone they are charging you 350$ early termination fee , that doesn't sound good to me , I prefer maximum 1 yr .

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
IMO, unless some seriously intense apps come out (video editing, some flash games), an overclocked Droid is plenty fast enough.

I feel like a value-added or incremental upgrade would be faster internet, which won't be for about 2years on VZW's LTE network.

I think the X already has the processor and ram in terms of what should last for a good while, at least until your next new-every-two.

The next big leap in smartphones is probably going to be the capability to replace netbooks and low-end PC's, but the hardware is probably 6-12 months away (closer to 6, Droid Pro will probably fit the bill). Of course, that will depend on apps, which will probably be another 6-12 months behind that.

I think the X will hold you over for a good time. Not worth an incremental upgrade, for me, but the Pro will make me seriously consider a 1-yr early upgrade, but it might depend on how close LTE is at that point.

FSRBIKER

Reaction score
Go for a 1 year contract, you pay about $60 more for the phone but can move to a LTE phone next year when they are available.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
You might want to make sure LTE is going to be in your area....

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Should I wait on the dual core?
It's your judgment call to make. The usual responses to every "Should I wait?" thread apply. Personally, I don't wait on anything not officially announced if I'm shopping. YMMV.

In your shoes (and as a former BB user), I'd be jumping ship right now.

I realize everything becomes outdated in acouple of months, but no one wants to get stuck on the tail end of a technology when the next great leap takes off.
Outdated really only matters when something is no longer useful to you. I know most consumers think that they have to buy whatever newer thing comes along but that's certainly not the case in all situations. I mean, take a look at the Droid's mod community, for example.

but if you want to quit earlier to get a new phone they are charging you 350$ early termination fee , that doesn't sound good to me , I prefer maximum 1 yr .
ETF's don't matter unless you're switching carriers. You can switch devices without terminating your contract.

Last edited:

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
Well if I were you I would definitely get rid of that BB and get the X. If you already had a good phone then I'd say wait. Just my opinion...

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

DarkNet

Reaction score
I'm in a huge dilemma and I need some honest advice from the droid community. I currently have a blackberry that I can barely justify having a data plan on. I’ve wanted a real smart-phone for two years. The Droid X seems to be the best option on the table with Verizon, however I keep hearing that by the end of this year or early next we’ll see the first dual core smartphones hit the street. That’s 6 months away.

Should I wait on the dual core? Will that be the next huge leap, or am I better off biting the bullet and getting the X? I realize everything becomes outdated in acouple of months, but no one wants to get stuck on the tail end of a technology when the next great leap takes off.

There will always be something better coming... dancedroid

Jmart922

Reaction score
I have also thought about this as well, given that I have a free upgrade now ive decided to wait for this 2ghz phone from motorola, I just asked myself is it worth going for the droid x, or am I content with my modded droid...i went with the latter, with cyanogens version of froyo coming out in s few weeks or less, I'm excited to put new life into my Droid...plus front facing cameras are a big thing with me being a new father and not being with my little girl all the time, it'll come in handy for me and her mom

huskur

Reaction score
I have also thought about this as well, given that I have a free upgrade now ive decided to wait for this 2ghz phone from motorola, I just asked myself is it worth going for the droid x, or am I content with my modded droid...i went with the latter, with cyanogens version of froyo coming out in s few weeks or less, I'm excited to put new life into my Droid...plus front facing cameras are a big thing with me being a new father and not being with my little girl all the time, it'll come in handy for me and her mom

BAM!!! took the words right out of my mouth. Except i have a 4 year old and new twin girls. Other than that i share the same sentiments

Yakuzagang5

Reaction score
I would personally not go for the first dual-core phone that comes out. Like a car company going with a completely new engine, theres more than likely going to be some quirks that need to be worked out, I would wait until they get all the bugs out if you are gonna wait, but the current phones right now arent going to be completely outdone, unless you do intense app use.

My $0.02

BWatts

Reaction score
IMO, unless some seriously intense apps come out (video editing, some flash games), an overclocked Droid is plenty fast enough.

I agree. Admittedly I don't use as many apps as some users, but I haven't ever said to myself "man I wish this thing were faster" while using the Droid so far. I suppose it will depend on what new stuff becomes available in terms of apps and games in the coming months.