Droid X or Samsung Fascinate?

gamemaster333

Reaction score
WARNING: Wall o' text!
Okay, here's my situation. I currently have a moto droid and am LOVING it. My sister, on the other hand, is rocking a measly EnV Touch and has been eligible for an upgargade since march of this year. She was waiting on the news of an iPhone coming to Verizon when they launched iPhone 4, but as we all know that isn't gonna happen anytime soon. Once the Droid X was announced I was all over it. I offered to give her my moto droid in return for letting me use her upgrade for the Droid X. Our agreement was that I would buy the Droid X, give her my droid, and all she has to do is give me $30 a month for the data plan (I currently pay the bill for the whole family, ~ $230 for 5 lines). But now that I heard that the Droid X might never get custom ROMs and seeing how awesome the Samsung phones have been, I am really torn. I am really leaning towards the samsung right now b/c of its Super AMLOED screen, awesome hummingbird processor, and cool video out capabilities (at least I hope they make it to the verizon version as they are there in the AT&T phone). The thing is, my sister is really looking forward to getting my phone soon and would hate to make her wait until the samsung phone comes out (which has had no mention of release date). So forum, any advice?

P.S. I still really dig the Droid X but the fascinate is looking better and better every day.

Mule65

Reaction score
I'm still torn between DX and the SF. Disappointed to find they're about the same size :icon_eek:. SF has Bing Search and Maps :mad: -- don't know how hard it is to switch to Goog. SF display looks better and supposedly saves battery. I prefer bottom capacitive buttons on SF. SF will likely have better Developer support -- easily rooted and not locked down like DX. DX looks more solid/durable. SF looks more pocketable. SF only has 2gb internal NAND flash. No release date for SF. Leaning DX. :)

Last edited:

Darkseider

Reaction score
Personally you can't really go wrong with either. Both are excellent performing handsets that offer nearly identical feature sets.

EDIT: After reading this news: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/android-forum/59004-u-s-galaxy-s-variants-rooted.html

I can say that IF I were to make the choice right now I would get the Samsung Fascinate. Knowing that it has been fully and properly rooted and custom ROMs are coming, in my opinion, trumps the Droid X hands down.

Last edited:
OP
gamemaster333

gamemaster333

Reaction score
@Darkseider. What about the custom rom capabilities for each phone? I just noticed your post about the Galaxy S phones being rooted and the droid X has a signed bootloader; should that also factor into my purchase decision?

Darkseider

Reaction score
@Darkseider. What about the custom rom capabilities for each phone? I just noticed your post about the Galaxy S phones being rooted and the droid X has a signed bootloader; should that also factor into my purchase decision?

I just edited my post as you replied. I'm getting slow in my old age.

OP
gamemaster333

gamemaster333

Reaction score
Lol! Dang it Darkseider! Just when I was about to make up my mind on the Droid X, you drop this bittersweet news on my face! :p

Darkseider

Reaction score
Lol! Dang it Darkseider! Just when I was about to make up my mind on the Droid X, you drop this bittersweet news on my face! :p

Sorry to make it a bit more complicated for you. Personally I avoid any hardware that is locked down because it pisses me off. The Samsung Fascinate aside from not having HDMI out, although it does support video out through the 3.5mm jack, is damned near identical in features to the Droid X. Knowing that it has been rooted proper and the bootloader is open makes the decision a no brainer for me. I can only hope that when my time comes to upgrade, which should be circa dual core whatever, the phones that are available are rooted. Otherwise I will be with my Droid for a while.

Last edited:

Jordan_Peterson2897

Reaction score
I get what your saying. Im having the same problem choosing which to get. The Droid X comes out on the 15th so you wouldnt have to wait for it and the Fascinate comes out in August. I really like both but i know that if i were to go with one than i would regret not going with the other. Overall I like the look of the Droid X better and seeing how good of a phone the droid was, thats all the more reason for me. Although the Fascinate looks and feels and runs awesome, the OS is probably not what i would look for and if your anything like me than we might be similar. Also i havent ever had good experiences with samsung devices although everyone else i know has. After all that, I would go with the Motorola Droid X . Hope this helped!

cromo8

Reaction score
well im getting the droid x for free, verizon is replacing my droid with an x as a warranty exchange

i think the x will have many capabilities, as far as locked bootloader, im sure since so many people are gonna get it they will find a way around it

OP
gamemaster333

gamemaster333

Reaction score
Allright, thanks for that piece of information wuyanks! I think I might take the plunge on the Droid X. I've had my eyes set on it since it was announced and I'm sure I'll have a blast using it. I was really hoping I could install custom roms on it but it looks pretty bleak right now. Oh well, at least I get a huge screen, 8 MP camera, HDMI out, and a blazing fast processor. Thanks to everyone who gave their opinions! =D

o0HERO0o

Reaction score
I don't particularly care for Samsung but with the Droid X being locked down I would definitely go with the Samsung Fascinate.