Droid X not receiving SMS

brice

Reaction score
I have a droid x which I am using in an international country. I activated with the county's cdma carrier about 3 days ago. From the day that I activated it, i could not receive sms. I can call out, receive calls and send sms but I can't receive sms. I did a factory reset then I had to re activate the phone. I left it there for a couple hours and then I could receive sms. Later that day it just stopped receiving sms. Any one know of any setting that can make me fix this. Thanks. any input is valued.

heycow

Reaction score
Did you activate it inside the Verizon Wireless footprint first? If not, it won't work (and honestly you shouldn't be getting any calls either). Sounds like you may have some provisioning problems and VzW doesn't know how to route messages to you (it's sort of separate from routing voice calls).

What country are you in and what carrier are you roaming onto? Best bet is to contact VzW support.

OP
B

brice

Reaction score
Drod x - no sms received.

I bought the phone on ebay, I don't know if it was activated on the verizon network before, i think so though. When I activated it manually in Belize using the ##program, i think there was a previous number. In Belize the cdma carrier is SMART. I was messing around with the phone trying to fix the message problem when i came across something interesting.

*#*#INFO#*#* got me to a different page then I clicked on phone info
in that page there was a part that said - Message waiting - false.
I don't know if that is what is keeping me from getting the messages. I don't know how to change that field to true.

heycow

Reaction score
Well if you can make calls I'm going to assume it was activated in VzW at some point. :) Are you using it on CDMA or just on WiFI?

I also have "Message waiting: False" under that menu.

I'm really thinking that it's a routing issue and that VzW doesn't know how to reach you. There's only so much on the phone itself. Can you use Google Voice to do SMS instead?

(BTW, for anyone reading this be VERY CAREFUL with *#*#INFO*#*# and ##PROGRAM. They will jack your phone up if you don't know what you're doing.)

OP
B

brice

Reaction score
Droid X

I use the phone with both cdma and wifi. I understand that google talk works with teh internet and I don't have a data plan. I use the wifi at home. The issue would be when I want to send sms when not at home.
So is there a fix for the Message waiting: False?

heycow

Reaction score
I use the phone with both cdma and wifi. I understand that google talk works with teh internet and I don't have a data plan. I use the wifi at home. The issue would be when I want to send sms when not at home.
So is there a fix for the Message waiting: False?
Message waiting: False isn't bad as that's what my working device shows as well.

I don't think you can dial 611 while roaming, but if not, you should send an e-mail to support (https://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/contact/email.jsp) and have them verify your account is setup properly.

OP
B

brice

Reaction score
I have no idea what to say to verizon. I don't live in the US. I just got the phone shipped. Are there any settings that should be changed in the message section.

heycow

Reaction score
I have no idea what to say to verizon. I don't live in the US. I just got the phone shipped. Are there any settings that should be changed in the message section.
Hang on, do you have a valid voice plan with Verizon Wireless? If so, you're paying an enormous per-minute charge by making calls there...Why not get a cheap GSM phone and buy a pre-paid SIM for voice/text there and use the X for data on WiFi?

Maybe I'm missing something...if you're doing something you don't want posted just PM me. :)

swae

Reaction score
Same Problem

We both have the same problem.

I have a droid x on an outside carrier. Smart also.

We don't have an account with verizon, we simply bought the phone from the US and hooked it up in our country.

Is this some sort of "carrier lock feature" verizon is implementing now?

OP
B

brice

Reaction score
I am not sure if VZW is implementing that lock feature, but I highly doubt that.
Maybe there is the need for a prl update on the our carrier.

swae

Reaction score
I remember purchasing a motorola cliq and when I unlocked it for digicell I couldn't use wifi. It would not pick up any networks. So, not the first time I have ran into a "feature" disabled on a android phone when unlocked.

heycow

Reaction score
The X is not carrier unlocked so you really should not be able to activate it on any other carrier other than Verizon Wireless. It's not a Verizon thing but really the case with most phones on most US carriers. It's not a PRL issue since it's not a matter of roaming, more the initial activation (which, for every single Verizon Wireless device must be done initially within the VzW footprint on a valid VzW account).

swae

Reaction score
Brice:

Have you found a solution to the problem yet?

I have been to smart over the past two weeks with no solution.

Do you receive any sms at all?

DexterFichuk

Reaction score
I found a somewhat fix

this might not work for you guys but i have an original droid and im using it on a canadian network called Tbaytel and i am having the same problem, the only fix i've found is when you use a sense ui port incoming texts will work, im using zeusdroid but i don't think it supports the droid x. if you can wait a bit someone will probably port a sense ui rom to the droid x or if there is a way we can get the radio interface technology on stock which is what i've been working on it would fix it.

swae

Reaction score
this might not work for you guys but i have an original droid and im using it on a canadian network called Tbaytel and i am having the same problem, the only fix i've found is when you use a sense ui port incoming texts will work, im using zeusdroid but i don't think it supports the droid x. if you can wait a bit someone will probably port a sense ui rom to the droid x or if there is a way we can get the radio interface technology on stock which is what i've been working on it would fix it.

What exactly is causing the incoming txt msg to be blocked?

Thanks.