Droid X not finding hidden wifi network

crazyjjc

Reaction score
I just got the Droid X and I'm having trouble getting my droid to connect to my hidden wifi network. I've entered in all my correct information but it still won't connect. Any ideas, maybe a switch that has to be turned on or off?

Thanks.

zamslam

Reaction score
I just got the Droid X and I'm having trouble getting my droid to connect to my hidden wifi network. I've entered in all my correct information but it still won't connect. Any ideas, maybe a switch that has to be turned on or off?

Thanks.

I has this same issue. I read that it's a general Android issue and take some consolation that enabling ssid broadcasts doesn't really make you significantly less secure.

KevinWP

Reaction score
I had a wonky wifi setup once and I found that enabling the SSID (Unhiding the network).... adding the new client (Your DX) to the network when it could easily find it..... then re-hiding the network fixed my problem.

Hope this helps

-Kevin

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Hiding the SSID does nothing for security..It adds maybe 20 seconds to someone who knows what they are doing.

Follow what Kevin^^ said...

OP
C

crazyjjc

Reaction score
Dissappears

I made my router visible and my droid x found it but when i hidden it again, it disappears. This sucks if it won't add to my hidden network. I figure an android would be able to do that. Thanks for the help. If anyone else has some tweaks, it would help.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Why not just leave it un-hidden?

As long as you are using WEP or WPA you'll be fine.

Droidx_guy

Reaction score
Actually having your network hidden is a god start to securing it. WEP is a joke and WPA is not a whole lot better you should really go with wpa2 with aes. I had a samsung behold 2 running both 1.5 and 1.6, and it had very few problems with connecting to my hidden network. I think this is a 2.x issue

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Actually having your network hidden is a god start to securing it. WEP is a joke and WPA is not a whole lot better you should really go with wpa2 with aes. I had a samsung behold 2 running both 1.5 and 1.6, and it had very few problems with connecting to my hidden network. I think this is a 2.x issue

Takes all of about 30 seconds to find hidden networks....

mwm523

Reaction score
2 Droid Xs in my house are connected to my hidden SSID with no problem. Did not have to unhide it to set it up either.

SSID hidden, WPA2 with TKIP. Droid Xs running stock 2.1 build, but also had connectivity when I was running the leaked Froyo.

Droidx_guy

Reaction score
did you have to do anything other than set the SSID and password or did it just work from there? My gf D2 is having the same problem which is why I figured it was just a 2.x prob maybe its actually a router issue or something.:confused:

littleowl

Reaction score

Takes all of about 30 seconds to find hidden networks....

I don't want to sound rude but it takes longer to find a hidden SSID than it does to crack a WEP or WPA encryption.

mwm523

Reaction score
did you have to do anything other than set the SSID and password or did it just work from there? My gf D2 is having the same problem which is why I figured it was just a 2.x prob maybe its actually a router issue or something.:confused:

No that was it... Settings > Wireless & networks > Wi-Fi settings > Add Wi-Fi network > enter SSID, chose WPA/WPA2 PSK security, enter password and save.

Is yours not able to find the network at all? Or does it connect but not able to move data?

Droidx_guy

Reaction score
it shows that the network is remembered but the wifi goes through scanning -> connecting -> disconnected repeatedly so I don't know what is up. The same thing happened when I had my Droid 2 and still happens with my girlfriends Droid 2.

GrillMouster

Reaction score
2 Droid Xs in my house are connected to my hidden SSID with no problem. Did not have to unhide it to set it up either.

SSID hidden, WPA2 with TKIP. Droid Xs running stock 2.1 build, but also had connectivity when I was running the leaked Froyo.

Same here. No problem. Didn't have to "unhide" either. If you're having problems, it's possible that you're not entering either the SSID or the passkey exactly. Try showing the passkey and then double and triple checking it before submitting it. Also make sure you're using the correct upper and lowercase letters.

Droidx_guy

Reaction score
I have ensured that both the ssid and passkey are correct. Because as soon as I unhide it my x connects right up and stays connected with out having to even select it. But when i hid it again it can not connect anymore.