Droid X Movie Compression

bmphotography

Reaction score
Hey Guys/Gals.

I need some help...

I am burning Dvds I own using Dvd Catalyst 4 to my phone.. However.. I cannot get any Dvds under 300Mbs without them either looking choppy or very blurry.. is there anyway I can compress them highest enough to get them around 100/200Mbs Range? Or Lower if possible.. 250 is the Highest I would wanna go..

Using Mpeg4 H.264 Codec "Dvd Catalyst 4"
The Bitrate I set the Videos to is 210
The Audio rate is Mono and set to 36 Bitrate
Also having it 2 Pass the Dvd for better Quality..
Also found out it seems Resolution does not matter in Dvd Catalyst..doesn't effect Data

No I will not buy a Bigger SD card. I have 32 Gbs. I am trying to burn as many of my Dvds to my phone as possible.. currently I have 53 Full Length.. but would like to get up to 150/200 Dvds.. lol I know I am Crazy but worth a try.

So whats the Highest compression I can get without making Pixel art? :icon_evil:

Can someone give me settings or any Programs that can help with Compression?

Thanks Guys!:icon_ banana:

BodyBagz

Reaction score
Are you just ripping the actual movie file? Anything under 300mb is going to look like crap no matter what you do...thats the drawback to compression.

Why would you want to try and carry 57 different movies on your phone at all times? Its not like it takes forever to delete 1 and drop another back in its place via USB....

OP
B

bmphotography

Reaction score
Don't know if you did not read or not..

but I am doing a test to see HOW MANY Movies I can put on a device without them looking like crap.

and you can get it between 270/400Mbs 200 Video Bitrate with 128 Bitrate Stereo Audio using Dvd Catalyst..

If your not getting good quality with your Dvd software i'd suggest you switch BodyBagz.

and putting 1 movie 8.3Gbs ripped onto a Droid is useless..your phone will not use that much pixels and it will compress it to fit the screen anyway. also you won't be able to use the menu's etc..

BodyBagz

Reaction score
Don't know if you did not read or not..

but I am doing a test to see HOW MANY Movies I can put on a device without them looking like crap.
and you can get it between 270/400Mbs 200 Video Bitrate with 128 Bitrate Stereo Audio using Dvd Catalyst..
If your not getting good quality with your Dvd software i'd suggest you switch BodyBagz.
and putting 1 movie 8.3Gbs ripped onto a Droid is useless..your phone will not use that much pixels and it will compress it to fit the screen anyway. also you won't be able to use the menu's etc..
Well, ok...Maybe YOU didnt read what you yourself wrote...Please show me where you stated you were doing a Test of any kind...

Personally, I dont care what you do for ripping your movies...I prefer mine in the 300-350mb range, and thats what I set mine to. Why, because it works well, they are very nice looking with no noticeable pixelation unless in highspeed scenes or choppy camera segments which is more a problem of how the film was filmed...not the phone or compression ratio. Using your 270/400mb filesize comment, it would appear that the 300-350mb range would actually be the "sweet spot", and explain why that is the most common filesize for small hand-held devices...hmmmm, imagine that....:icon_rolleyes:

Awful cocky of you to tell me how I need to change how I rip and convert/author my films...considering I am not the one who posted this topic asking for any help... But hey, call me crazy for not wanting to tote around 50+ films compressed to the point of not being worth my time and effort to watch when I know I can just drag and drop at a whim...

So, in closing, have fun with your little endeavor. I truly hope you figure out a way of shrinking a native 4.7gb film down to less than 300mb and it not looking like crap just so you can come back here and say "I told you so"....:rofl3:

D

dvdcatalyst

Hey Guys/Gals.

I need some help...

I am burning Dvds I own using Dvd Catalyst 4 to my phone.. However.. I cannot get any Dvds under 300Mbs without them either looking choppy or very blurry.. is there anyway I can compress them highest enough to get them around 100/200Mbs Range? Or Lower if possible.. 250 is the Highest I would wanna go..

Using Mpeg4 H.264 Codec "Dvd Catalyst 4"
The Bitrate I set the Videos to is 210
The Audio rate is Mono and set to 36 Bitrate
Also having it 2 Pass the Dvd for better Quality..
Also found out it seems Resolution does not matter in Dvd Catalyst..doesn't effect Data

No I will not buy a Bigger SD card. I have 32 Gbs. I am trying to burn as many of my Dvds to my phone as possible.. currently I have 53 Full Length.. but would like to get up to 150/200 Dvds.. lol I know I am Crazy but worth a try.

So whats the Highest compression I can get without making Pixel art? :icon_evil:

Can someone give me settings or any Programs that can help with Compression?

Thanks Guys!:icon_ banana:

Fun project. Reminds me of my early days, where I was stuck with an iPaq and a 128MB SD card. I managed to create 119MB rips of the LOTR movies, but they did look like crap. 40Kbps video, 16Kbps audio mono.

Anyway, screensize doesn't affect the size, but the amount of pixels do determine the quality. The video bits are used to determine color information for the individual pixels, so the more pixels, the less data each pixel has.

Have a look at the streaming samples I have in this article:

DVD Catalyst 4 – Quality difference between different profiles | Tools4Movies - Home of DVD Catalyst

I created samples for different internet bitrates, all the way down to 256Kbps ( http://www.tools4movies.com/Droid/Transformers3_0256_streaming.mp4 ) or, 220MB for 2 hours of video.

The trick is to fine a nice relation between resolution and bitrate. In general, you want to use a video bitrate similar to that of the video width. With a low-resolution video you do end up with a stamp-sized video, but the video player will upscale it anyways. It is better to upscale a high-quality low-resolution video than to have a crappy looking original resolution video.

Audio, use mono. 128Kbps Stereo is theoretically 2x 64Kbps mono, so if you use 64 mono, the quality will sound similar to that of stereo. You will miss out on stereo-effects like a car moving from left to right. Both channels will be mixed into 1.

Hafe fun :)