Droid X IS running MotoBlur

anuraj1

Reaction score
I've seen some debate about whether or not the Droid X has Motoblur or Ninjablur or whatever.

Android Central reported that it does not have Motoblur, but simply a custom skin for the Droid X...

Tomatoes, To-mah-toes. Just because they aren't calling it MotoBlur, doesn't mean that Blur isn't lurking in the Droid X. Here is a screen shot of the system dump with plenty of Blur apps. Just FYI so that we have some concrete evidence of what the X has in store for us.

Last edited:
OP
anuraj1

anuraj1

Reaction score
Personally, I do not mind it.

I personally have no experience with MotoBlur other than playing with it at cell phone stores. I mostly put this up to to help keep people informed since there seem to be so many rumors about it flying around.

It is a fact that Sense and Blur delay timely updates since the vendor has to do a lot of extra coding. That said, we didn't exactly get 2.1 in a timely manner even with stock Android on the Droid.

Last edited:
OP
anuraj1

anuraj1

Reaction score
Droid X IS NOT running MotoBlur

Fixed the title for ya! :)

Obviously, from the files it does have some connection with Blur. I think your post might confuse people that are looking for info, Tanknspank.

Here's a quote from unwiredview.com about the Droid X Launch event:

"Another interesting takeway from Droid X launch, was the total absence of Motorola Blur custom user interface from the event. When asked about it, Sanjay Jha, Motorola CEO, confirmed that MotoBlur is running on Droid X, but it has been hidden from the user."

http://www.unwiredview.com/2010/06/...w-it-is-dead-beginning-of-the-for-custom-uis/

Last edited:

phatkat66

Reaction score
This also belongs in the droid X general discussion not the Droid discussion. We should try to keep the threads as organized as possible so people can find it where its relevant.

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes, it does have apps from motoblur, but it isn't the motoblur we all remember. Still, motoblur isn't the worst thing since the iPhone 4, so why does it matter if its on there or not? If your worried about upgrade time, buy a stock phone or root it when that access is gained.

OP
anuraj1

anuraj1

Reaction score
This also belongs in the droid X general discussion not the Droid discussion. We should try to keep the threads as organized as possible so people can find it where its relevant.

Agreed, sorry about the misplacement. If this thread can be moved by a mod, it would be appreciated.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Agreed, sorry about the misplacement. If this thread can be moved by a mod, it would be appreciated.

And so it has been moved. Did it before I even saw the request.:)

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Droid X IS NOT running MotoBlur

Obviously, from the files it does have some connection with Blur. I think your post might confuse people that are looking for info, Tanknspank.

"Another interesting takeway from Droid X launch, was the total absence of Motorola Blur custom user interface from the event. When asked about it, Sanjay Jha, Motorola CEO, confirmed that MotoBlur is running on Droid X, but it has been hidden from the user."

Droid X launch bits pt2: Motoblur (as we knew it), is dead. Beginning of the end for custom UIs? Unwired View

Also from the article:

Motorola must be the first to see the writing on the wall, and let Google take over the overall user experience. Motoblur is now just another Android app, that comes pre-installed on the handset. It does what it does pretty well, some Droid X users may love it. And, if they keep investing and developing it, Blur service can be a good point of differentiation for Motorola. But, by relegating the Blur to an Android app status, Motorola can move much faster both with OS, and Blur app upgrades.

I take that as they can be updated seperately from each other. That would be totally differet from the old Blur.

Now maybe u need to root or use ADB to remove the Blur apps. I dont know. But thats not the same as the old Blur.

phatkat66

Reaction score
And on with the topic lol

Im actually lookin forward to seeing how much the "skin"/"ui" is going to affect usability.
Im so excited for the X (even if i do have to pay full retail price *cries*)

nerdbox08

Reaction score
Yes, it does have apps from motoblur, but it isn't the motoblur we all remember. Still, motoblur isn't the worst thing since the iPhone 4, so why does it matter if its on there or not? If your worried about upgrade time, buy a stock phone or root it when that access is gained.

He already explained he has little experience with blur, he was just sharing there are a lot of pieces of blur in the system, even if it's not the traditional blur we are used to seeing.

I think it is good to be informed, that way people CAN buy what they want, not what they THINK they are getting.

Yes, when root is obtained many people can get those items off their phone, but there are many consumers who aren't going to root, so blur parts can be a concern.

Rooting isn't the end all solution to every "problem" and I think it's wrong to constantly use that answer as the fix.

This is good info, thanks OP.

OP
anuraj1

anuraj1

Reaction score
I take that as they can be updated seperately from each other. That would be totally differet from the old Blur.

Now maybe u need to root or use ADB to remove the Blur apps. I dont know. But thats not the same as the old Blur.

Hopefully you're right. The big problem with the old Blur and Sense UI is that the framework has to be completely rewritten. If they didn't touch the framework.res then this phone just got a lot more attractive than it already was.

phatkat66

Reaction score

Droid X launch bits pt2: Motoblur (as we knew it), is dead. Beginning of the end for custom UIs? Unwired View

Also from the article:

Motorola must be the first to see the writing on the wall, and let Google take over the overall user experience. Motoblur is now just another Android app, that comes pre-installed on the handset. It does what it does pretty well, some Droid X users may love it. And, if they keep investing and developing it, Blur service can be a good point of differentiation for Motorola. But, by relegating the Blur to an Android app status, Motorola can move much faster both with OS, and Blur app upgrades.

motoblur being an app now sounds like any other home replacement. It doesnt affect the natural Android OS, and does follow more strongly by the term "skin". I really like what im hearing so far. ^_^ cant wait to get my hands on this in 2 1/2 weeks....

OP
anuraj1

anuraj1

Reaction score

He already explained he has little experience with blur, he was just sharing there are a lot of pieces of blur in the system, even if it's not the traditional blur we are used to seeing.

I think it is good to be informed, that way oriole CAN buy what they want, not what they THINK they are getting.

Yes, when root is obtained many people can get those items off their phone, but there are many consumers who aren't going to root, so blur parts can be a concern.

Rooting isn't the end all solution to every "problem" and I think it's wrong to constantly use that answer as the fix.

This is good info, thanks OP.

Thank you nerbox08, you're totally right, my only intention was to give people information. And even though I am rooted, I agree that it isn't the answer for everyone. Timely official updates are important.