Droid X - GPS issue

TuxDude

Reaction score
I have a Droid X, and the GPS does not seem to find the current location exactly, especially for navigation.

This issue has been there for the past 3 - 4 months.

I have tried clearing the aiding data using the 'GPS Test' app and starting the scan for satellites - but it does not seem to help.

Yes I've tried using the phone in the open without any obstruction like trees or anything, and even when on the move - it fails to lock onto the current position.

It rarely finds the position on the Google maps accurately, and in Navigation mode it doesn't work at all - it just says "Searching for GPS".

Do you guys think the GPS is broken or malfunctioning ? I do have a $5 per month Warranty protection plan from Verizon, I'm planning to take the phone to their service center, have them take a look and may be get it replaced.

Before that, is there anything I can do to fix it myself ?

Thanks.

chrispt

Reaction score
Lately I have had luck with an app called GPS Doctor. It does cost money (I got it for cheaper on the Amazon AppStore) but it does seem to resolve my GPS issues when I have them.

OP
TuxDude

TuxDude

Reaction score
@rubiks - yes I've turned on all of them. One thing I notice is that with WiFi turned on (and connected to a WiFi network), it is able to find out my location accurately which I believe works not using the GPS satellites but using the WiFi information.

@chrispt - Thanks for the info.

I spoke to the Verizon Wireless Customer support guys and after speaking for an hr and going through all their troubleshooting guides, I was able to make them send me a free device replacement sent to me within the next 2 days. I was enrolled in the basic $5 per month warranty plan anyways since the beginning.

motorsports

Reaction score
Im having the same problem with my gps not working.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

stewywerf

Reaction score
This is going to sound crazy but it has worked for me. I have gone through 4 refurb phones trying to fix this issue. I think the fix is has to do with the back cover of the phone. If you take the back cover off of your phone you might notice a wear mark above the word "Only" on the white inside side of the back cover. The white paint has been worn off and the metal has been exposed. This is caused by the copper pin on the back of the phone itself. When looking at the back of the phone it's on the left side near the red battery release tab. Apparently it must cause some kind of short with the GPS. I put a piece of electrical tape on the back cover over the top of the wear mark and it seems to have fixed the problem. I also had Verizon ship me out a new cover while the phone was still in warranty.

I was very frustrated that they didn't give me a new phone after all the trouble I went through. I may not be a Verizon customer when my company contract is up.

Please let me know if this works for you.

motorsports

Reaction score
Thanks that fixed my gps problem by putting tape on the back cover.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

stewywerf

Reaction score
Glad to hear it! I have a feeling that many people will start having this issue soon.

NoBloatware

Reaction score
Glad to hear it! I have a feeling that many people will start having this issue soon.

Did you discover this fix yourself? I find it quite amazing that someone would figure out this fix! Thanks for sharing!

stewywerf

Reaction score
Did you discover this fix yourself? I find it quite amazing that someone would figure out this fix! Thanks for sharing!

I figured it out by piecing together forum posts across the Internet and I found others having similar problems.

I had 4 phones sent back to Verizon and I had many frustrating conversation with Verizon representatives who many of them thought I was crazy and imagining things. I kept telling them that it had to be my battery or my battery door cover because those were the only two items that remained constant whenever they sent me a new phone

I'm so upset with the way I was treated. I figured out their droid x gps battery cover issue and I get nothing from customer service for all of my frustration.

OP
TuxDude

TuxDude

Reaction score
This is going to sound crazy but it has worked for me. I have gone through 4 refurb phones trying to fix this issue. I think the fix is has to do with the back cover of the phone. If you take the back cover off of your phone you might notice a wear mark above the word "Only" on the white inside side of the back cover. The white paint has been worn off and the metal has been exposed. This is caused by the copper pin on the back of the phone itself. When looking at the back of the phone it's on the left side near the red battery release tab. Apparently it must cause some kind of short with the GPS. I put a piece of electrical tape on the back cover over the top of the wear mark and it seems to have fixed the problem. I also had Verizon ship me out a new cover while the phone was still in warranty.

I was very frustrated that they didn't give me a new phone after all the trouble I went through. I may not be a Verizon customer when my company contract is up.

Please let me know if this works for you.

Wow neat find :) Thanks for sharing - I guess I'll try it the next time my GPS stops working.... :)

R

RETG

On my X, GPS works, but my photos are not consistently tagged with the GPS coordinates. For example, last Sunday took six photos in approximately one minute, the first one was tagged with correct location, second through fourth not tagged, fifth was tagged showing a location a mile or two away, and the sixth was tagged correctly. When I went to Google Maps, it had me in the correct location. Weird, but since the GB update, this has been a problem with all three of my X's. (First two replaced for other reasons, since this is not a big item.)

Dsiiiviper4

Reaction score
I had the same problem called vzw tech support they did a hard reset with me had me check all the location services and the navigation still vcould not pinpoint my exact location. This started happening with me a couple of weeks ago and i just got around to calling them now. They are sending me a new phone on monday or tuesday because they said if it does not find your location in a bout 30 seconds the phones gos is faulty and if under warranty you get a new one. This is going to be my second replacement phone because i already got one because my original one the right speaker stopped working. good luck

AJTundra

Reaction score
I don't Believe it ...That was how to Fix my Droid X GPS!

You Post Below was the trick. I have been trying for MONTHS to fix this, and nothing worked. I called Motorola, Verizon, went to the store, and the all the Forums, all the resets and downloads. Nothing. My Back cover had the scratch, and I was skeptical. I was running "GPS Test", and as soon as I popped the back cover off, within 10 seconds, all the satellites popped back in, and it worked!. With a heavy piece of electrical tape over the scratch, everything works fine now.

It WAS NOT CRAZY. I am dumbstruck.

"This is going to sound crazy but it has worked for me. I have gone through 4 refurb phones trying to fix this issue. I think the fix is has to do with the back cover of the phone. If you take the back cover off of your phone you might notice a wear mark above the word "Only" on the white inside side of the back cover. The white paint has been worn off and the metal has been exposed. This is caused by the copper pin on the back of the phone itself. When looking at the back of the phone it's on the left side near the red battery release tab. Apparently it must cause some kind of short with the GPS. I put a piece of electrical tape on the back cover over the top of the wear mark and it seems to have fixed the problem. I also had Verizon ship me out a new cover while the phone was still in warranty. "