Droid X does not have motoblur or ninjablur

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
so this is essentially just a home replacement, instead of adw or launcher pro. which means to me, that it shouldn't be intertwined in the framework. which further means that we will probably be able to port this to other devices.

it all depends whether or not this "UI overlay" will have dependencies within the framework.

OP
RacecarBMW

RacecarBMW

Reaction score
so this is essentially just a home replacement, instead of adw or launcher pro. which means to me, that it shouldn't be intertwined in the framework. which further means that we will probably be able to port this to other devices.

it all depends whether or not this "UI overlay" will have dependencies within the framework.

Hmm could you explain a bit further for me I don't understand it that much so what makes this different than motoblur or sense ui isn't it just something else like that.

Can it be removed and then we will have stock android will this allow other android updates to be available quickly?

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score

Hmm could you explain a bit further for me I don't understand it that much so what makes this different than motoblur or sense ui isn't it just something else like that.

Can it be removed and then we will have stock android will this allow other android updates to be available quickly?

HTC, when developing SenseUI, in order to prevent others from stealing their widgets and other unique aspects of senseUI, re-wrote Android's framework entirely. as a result, almost nothing (aside from the keyboard) has ever been ported successfully to vanilla android.

same was the case for most other Android overlays, like Motoblur 1.6/2.1.

so acc. to that video, this version of blur, or whatever you want to call it, will not alter the Droid's framework, and at the same time give you access to a slightly modified homescreen (resizeable widgets and modified launcher dock, for example). we'll see. i'm not convinced

edit: and this is also why it takes longer for HTC to release updates to their handsets. they can't use Android's Open Source code as is. they need to re-write that code so SenseUI works for their devices.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I just saw this posted at another forum:

http://www.unwiredview.com/2010/06/2...or-custom-uis/

"Another interesting takeway from Droid X launch, was the total absence of Motorola Blur custom user interface from the event. When asked about it, Sanjay Jha, Motorola CEO, confirmed that MotoBlur is running on Droid X, but it has been hidden from the user."

"Motorola must be the first to see the writing on the wall, and let Google take over the overall user experience. Motoblur is now just another Android app, that comes pre-installed on the handset. It does what it does pretty well, some Droid X users may love it. And, if they keep investing and developing it, Blur service can be a good point of differentiation for Motorola. But, by relegating the Blur to an Android app status, Motorola can move much faster both with OS, and Blur app upgrades."
So I should be able to put Launcher Pro on there and it wouldnt be a problem, right? The folks that did the system dump if the X, I wonder does it look any different than a system dump of a phone running Sense UI?

Last edited:

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well, you know, it won' realy be settled until we have the thing in our hands (devs), and pick it apart.

We have the system dump already, has anyone trolled thru it?

anuraj1

Reaction score
i was excited about this at first, but the fact is that whether they call it motoblur, or anything else, it is still a custom vendor-specific overlay. And that means waiting longer for updates.

Good thing we have a healthy dev community that will give Droid X owners plenty of choice. Eventually.