Droid X Completely Disassembled

pwrdbykyank

Reaction score
Hey guys ive seen a video around of the droid being partially disassembled, but ya i wanted to take it apart completely to see what modifications i can do to it. I wanted to see if LEDs are changeable for the button lights to different color, and yea i can easily change these but its white which i already like. I also wanted to see if it was possible to make the light shine underneath the verizon logo on front as well (where the digitizer is) but it will take to much work and modification, just not up for it at the moment. Well heres pics.

dsc04592.jpg

dsc04593.jpg

dsc04594.jpg

dsc04595.jpg

dsc04591.jpg

dsc04588.jpg

just4747

Reaction score
Nice.

Do the 4 lower hardware buttons seem to be on there good? Everyone is complaining about them being loose, but would they actually ever come out or pop out accidentally by the looks of how they are attached?

How bout after months of constant use and slight wiggling of them?

OP
P

pwrdbykyank

Reaction score
In the 4th pic from top, you can see the back of the buttons how they are put into place. Its like small clear tabs that come into those holes. They arnt too easy to come off, they are held on with double tape i belive, but if you pull on them and pry it off the double tape they will come off but you can put them back in, its not like they will break off. However i can tell you they are two sets of 2 buttons not one set of 4 if you know what i mean.

irishpride

Reaction score
Thanks for the pics, having something like this can be extremely useful, especially if you get dust under the lcd or crack it and don't have insurance.

Would you mind posting step by step instructions?

Sent from my DROIDX

Wolf Irotisha

Reaction score
Anyone have an idea what this dreaded "eFuse" chip looks like or where its located? if its so easy to take apart the DX could u simply "unsolder" The eFuse Chip? Im neardy but not THAT neardy.

OP
P

pwrdbykyank

Reaction score
dis1.jpg

First follow 1st half of disassembly shown on youtube of droid x. This is if you want to take LCD and digitizer apart.

Ok here it is:

1) remove all screws (highlighted in green and shown with red arrows)
2) remove the black tape circled in red and disconnect the connector.
3) lift black sticker which is highlighted in yellow which covers part of the ribbon, so you can pull ribbon off of the silver/chrome backing.
4) pull the ribbon off of the silver/chrome backing starting from top left (its held down with double tape all underneath the whole ribbon) slowly and gently, carefull not to tear the ribbon where it turns at a 90 degree angle.
5) Once you do that, youll be able to take the LCD out of the digitizer housing, then all youll need to do to remove the digitizer off its housing to replace would be to head it up from outside so the double tape holding it down will loosen then pry it off. :) Good luck guys.

OP
P

pwrdbykyank

Reaction score
Anyone have an idea what this dreaded "eFuse" chip looks like or where its located? if its so easy to take apart the DX could u simply "unsolder" The eFuse Chip? Im neardy but not THAT neardy.

hey, not sure the shields would have to be removed, but doubt removing it from the board will work, phone would most likely stop working. The way usually its built is everything on board works together, if you remove that its programmed into the phone so its like its missing a part to operate so it wont. Just like your brain knows to control your body but if the neck/spine is missing it wont be able to.

DiscoStu9

Reaction score
very cool, very good info.

can you tell or point out where exactly on the device the cpu and graphics chips are? or where the phone seems to vent air or heat?

vdubvirus

Reaction score
nice to know the screen can be easily replaced like the iphone. I do a fair amount of ceramic art and on occasion I get small bits of sand and clay in my pocket. just today, I scratched the crap out of my screen protector when I checked a text msg without washing my hands properly.

meganimel

Reaction score
What size of LED's does it use?

I want to switch out the white ones for some red ones.

ferris

Reaction score
OP I sent this via PM but in case you don't see it

Hey quick question. My Droid X came with a little speck of dust under the screen that is bugging me. If I were to remove the back, and just remove a few screws off the LCD panel without taking off the whole motherboard assembly, do you think it would be possible to create just a small enough gap from just a few screws being out to shoot some spray air in there to blow the dust?

I took the back off of mine and noticed that without removing the board I can see a lot of the screws that hold the screen, I just figured by removing 2 or 3 I would be able to just ever so slightly lift up the panel to get the air in there.

Thanks for any advice you may have.