Droid X a disappointment in Europe

basia523

Reaction score
Mu husband is in Poland and can't use skype when connected with wifi and he can't reply to email either. He gets his emails but verizon blocks outgoing email. What a waste of a phone! It was advertised as a skype phone but that's only if you never leave the US! And he can use all other wifi services but he can't respond to his email? WTF?

jloya

Reaction score
I believe the X was marketed as a US only phone...

although i may be wrong?

OP
B

basia523

Reaction score
The phone was marketed in the US but people don't stay only in the US, they travel for business. We were in the verizon store countless times over the past 4 months deciding which would be the best phone and all the techs told us that skype would work in Europe and that the wifi would work and while they were right about wifi, why in the world would they block outgoing email? what good is a phone you can't use to communicate? he didn't need gps...he knew where he was and where he was going.

ylimehajile

Reaction score
basia523 - sorry to hear about your issues. Although I love my X I've come to learn the sales reps in the stores and phone have absolutely no idea what they are talking about. My sales rep was trying to tell me I can simply replace my sim chip when Verizon goes to 4G. The only way you are going to get solid advice / experience is on these sites. You may not agree with all of the opinions but most of the how-to and feature advice is accurate. If you are still within your 30-days return that sucker to the same sales person who told you that and let them know how wrong they were so the same mis-information isn't being propogated to others.

nfj79

Reaction score
Sounds like you have an issue with Verizon, not the Droid X.

OP
B

basia523

Reaction score
thx!

thx for your thoughtful reponse...we will be returning it the day he gets home...wish we had found this site earlier! so frustrating

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well, I've seen quite a few posts come across this forum and this is the first time I've ever seen someone say that Verizon blocks outgoing emails in Europe.

Now, I'm not going to go beyond that. Did a Verizon rep tell you that or is your husband telling you that?

Burnintrees

Reaction score
u shouldn't have gotten the droid x if u travel a lot. it is not a world phone. you should have waited till november when the world phone version is supposedly going to be released.

Ralffers

Reaction score
The newest version of Skype, which just was released 2-3 days ago is wifi compatible. I use wifi when at home and am on Skype all the time.

Hawk600

Reaction score
As far as know of you need call Verizon and let then know you are traveling outside of US so they can enable international use.
You will be using a foreign network instead Verizon network. This foreign network may have different or limited capabilties regarding data and this could be causing the email issue.
As mentioned by Mmmboba, Skype only works over 3G network and not over Wi-fi and this a software limitation, not Verizon's fault.
Again it depends the local network your husband it is using rigth now.
I would call Verizon and check about the email problem but at least you have the option to return the phone.

ericsbcn

Reaction score
Verizon can't "enable international use". Verizon is CDMA and Europe is GSM. So no Verizon phone will work in Europe. (Well, unless they have a phone that does both CDMA and GSM. But I don't know if there is such a thing).

xliderider

Reaction score
So no Verizon phone will work in Europe. (Well, unless they have a phone that does both CDMA and GSM. But I don't know if there is such a thing).

There is such a thing, it's called a world phone. ;)

The Bold, Storm 1 & 2, and Tour are a few of the world phones Verizon carries. Sorry if I left any other phones out, I came from Blackberry. :eek: