Droid worth more before Droid 2 is announced?

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have decided to sell my Droid and buy the Droid X. Is it reasonable to say that the Droid's worth will go down once the Droid 2 is announced? I'm hoping that the Droid X announcement won't have a huge impact since it doesn't have a keyboard while the Droid 1 and 2 do. The wife wants me to sell my phone before buying a new one at full retail, so I am trying to figure out how long I can wait before putting it up on ebay. I don't have much experience with how long phones hold their value.

Please note, I do know that the Droid 2 and the Droid X are two different phones!

dwagner88

Reaction score
I don't know. If the droid 2 has a locked bootloader, original droids might still be in high demand. These new motos may not be as hackable.

J

Johnly

I don't know. If the droid 2 has a locked bootloader, original droids might still be in high demand. These new motos may not be as hackable.
True, but anything is hackable if the desire is there yes?

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Well, more Droids will become available on EBAY as people upgrade, but I'm guessing it will be at least a few months before we start seeing any significant amount of early upgrades on 1-yr plans from last October. Supposedly they are running razor thin inventories on Droid, so I'm not sure there are a bunch out there to be dumped on the market when the new phones are out.

Personally, myself and I suspect many other Droid owners, will wait for Droid Pro at the end of the year.

And then there's always the interesting prospect of keeping my Droid, both as a back-up and possibly just a 2nd device connected to home WiFi. Get a docking station and make it a permanent alarm clock...And if I ever get free VoIP working, I can use it as a home VoIP, too.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Anybody ever used Gazelle? Seems reputable and is saying I can get $173 for my droid right now, which is more than I paid for it at best buy...

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
When you got it from Best Buy, I assume it required an activation plan?

All these places advertising Droids cheaper than a few hundred bucks I believe require some sort of service plan, so it's misleading when people are saying "Droid for $99...Droid for $25"...What do they cost without a service plan included?

I looked the other day and Droids are going for $300+ on EBAY...I don't know if that is new, refurbed or used but I'd say for $173 you are getting ripped off.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Good point...thx for that reminder.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
JhankG

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well, more Droids will become available on EBAY as people upgrade, but I'm guessing it will be at least a few months before we start seeing any significant amount of early upgrades on 1-yr plans from last October. Supposedly they are running razor thin inventories on Droid, so I'm not sure there are a bunch out there to be dumped on the market when the new phones are out.

Personally, myself and I suspect many other Droid owners, will wait for Droid Pro at the end of the year.

And then there's always the interesting prospect of keeping my Droid, both as a back-up and possibly just a 2nd device connected to home WiFi. Get a docking station and make it a permanent alarm clock...And if I ever get free VoIP working, I can use it as a home VoIP, too.

I'm going to buy the Droid X at full retail now. If the Droid Pro turns out to be real and is released at the end of the year, I may use an early upgrade for it and sell the X! If I had some concrete evidence that the Droid Pro's rumored specs are correct and that it was being released this year, I would have an easier time holding off.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm going to buy the Droid X at full retail now. If the Droid Pro turns out to be real and is released at the end of the year, I may use an early upgrade for it and sell the X! If I had some concrete evidence that the Droid Pro's rumored specs are correct and that it was being released this year, I would have an easier time holding off.

What's full retail for Droid X going to be? If you can sell the Droid on EBAY for $250, it might be worth $100 or so to upgrade to the X.

For me, I'm just trying to refine my home theme to squeeze it under the ram limitations and I think I'll be good to go for a long, long time once Froyo is fully polished.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
This is likely a "duh" question, but I have to ask anyway to make sure. Say I buy a Droid X, and sell my Droid on Ebay or wherever. Wiping the phone and getting it back to scratch is this easy part I would think. But is it safe to assume that once that new Droid X is activated, the original Droid canNOT be activated?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
This is likely a "duh" question, but I have to ask anyway to make sure. Say I buy a Droid X, and sell my Droid on Ebay or wherever. Wiping the phone and getting it back to scratch is this easy part I would think. But is it safe to assume that once that new Droid X is activated, the original Droid canNOT be activated?

The original can be reactivated on any account as long as the ESN is clear and not blacklisted...

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score

The original can be reactivated on any account as long as the ESN is clear and not blacklisted...

Ok, so once someone switches to a new phone, VZW reassigns the ESN to the new phone, if I'm hearing you right. And the person that buys the Droid from me can take it to Verizon and just have an ESN assigned to the phone?

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
What would you guys recommend as far as the SD card? Plop in a new one, sell it sans-SD, or just format several times?

I don't have any personal financial info. Biggest risk to me would be my email accounts (which I think are probably stored in internal memory), and then my VISA indirectly thru my gmail & app store (which I wouldn't worry about at all). Obviously, you'd probably want to change all your passwords after selling.

OP
JhankG

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
As long as you are all paid up with Verizon, the Droid would be treated just like a new phone for anyone else. It can be activated by anyone at any time once you have switched phones.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb

Ok, so once someone switches to a new phone, VZW reassigns the ESN to the new phone, if I'm hearing you right. And the person that buys the Droid from me can take it to Verizon and just have an ESN assigned to the phone?

ESN's cannot be reassigned.

When the person you sold it to goes to add it to their account VZW checks the ESN to see if the previous account is in good standing or if that ESN has been reported as stolen.