Droid won't stop checking email

elwopo

Reaction score
Hi.
I've got the Droid and have it set to use a hotmail account.

It keeps checking email when I do NOT want it to.
I've gone to settings and changed it to "never" for checking mail.
Even when it shows "never"....it still checks and notifies for mail!!!

I'd like to check for mail when, and only when, I want to.
Is this a glitch? Is there a way to get it to stop???

When I change the settings...they don't stay.

Thanks.

kimahnxray

Reaction score
sorry about that.
i just got my motorla Droid.

i also registered my msn.com e-mail account
is there a way to "empty" my trash folder so that I don't have to "select" each message i already deleted?
also, is there a way to delete "all" messages on my inbox?

why is Droid transferring in "OLD" email messages from my PC msn.com account?
shouldn't it only take care of "NEW" mesages from the date of purchase?
because my PC msn.com account has hundreds of old messages - potentially transferable to Droid endlessly...

JayMonster

Reaction score
Hi.

Thanks.

I switched to K-9 mail to any and all POP mail because I have found (as have others) that the included mail client is... buggy. k-9 is based off the same code base as the included client, but is far more stable and has far less "weird" issues. K-9 is in the Android Market (make sure you get the full and not the Beta), and it is free.

JayMonster

Reaction score
sorry about that.
i just got my motorla Droid.

i also registered my msn.com e-mail account
is there a way to "empty" my trash folder so that I don't have to "select" each message i already deleted?
also, is there a way to delete "all" messages on my inbox?

why is Droid transferring in "OLD" email messages from my PC msn.com account?
shouldn't it only take care of "NEW" mesages from the date of purchase?
because my PC msn.com account has hundreds of old messages - potentially transferable to Droid endlessly...

Make you you have settings done so that it "removes messages from the server" when you delete them.

The inbox takes what is in your inbox... not just "new" messages, but any that you have pulled down. POP3 (such as msn or live mail) does not work the same as an Exchange Server based e-mail, where you can have just new messages and messages... say from the last day or two only downloaded.

OP
E

elwopo

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

Just trying to make sure I understand.
Are you saying to download another email client and just not use the included Droid version....and use that with my existing email accounts?
Is the Droid provided "email" app so buggy that it should just be deleted? (gosh knows I'm ready to)
Or...
Are you saying that I should discard my POP3 accounts (like hotmail) and find web based email that uses 'exchange'?
(don't know what that is, but more than willing to look into it)

Thanks again.

Hi.

Thanks.

I switched to K-9 mail to any and all POP mail because I have found (as have others) that the included mail client is... buggy. k-9 is based off the same code base as the included client, but is far more stable and has far less "weird" issues. K-9 is in the Android Market (make sure you get the full and not the Beta), and it is free.

Vitticeps

Reaction score
He's saying use a different client. The native one sucks at non Gmail accounts.

OP
E

elwopo

Reaction score
Gotcha!

So trash the "email" thing that came with the phone.....download a new one.....but I can still keep my web based emails like hotmail and yahoo?

TimChgo9

Reaction score
Yeah, you should be able to.

I don't use Droid to access my webmail. I just check it from my laptop a couple of times a day.... I don't get anything critical anyway.....(kind of happens when you have been out of work as long as I have)

JayMonster

Reaction score
Gotcha!

So trash the "email" thing that came with the phone.....download a new one.....but I can still keep my web based emails like hotmail and yahoo?

Right. (Well, you can't "trash" the included app, but just remove your setting from it). Then download something like k-9, and connect that to your Yahoo or Hotmail account.

ptschuma

Reaction score
I'm having issues also. Went from Blackberry to Droid. I have an Yahoo account which I use for business ( its actually sbcglobal.net). I need to have real time emails like I did with my blackberry. I would be able to receive emails on my phone and computer at the same time. This droid has a lag using both the gmail account and the "email" app which is set up for my sbc account. I created the gmail account and pulled my sbc email into that thinking it would pull in to my phone in real time. I have to be able to receive emails on my phone in real time without having to wait for 5 mins or more. When I am out of the office and working from home or other places I have to know that I'm getting immedieate emails like my blackberry was.
So far I like the phone, but if I can't get this fixed, I'll have to go back to a BB.

JayMonster

Reaction score
There is no way to turn Yahoo Mail into "push" at present. They have a special app for that for Blackberry and for the iPhone, but have not yet offered such a thing on Android.