Droid won't power off when charging

sjutvpm

Reaction score
I too tried to plug in and switch off. but after about 5 sec, mines powers back up. I am on 2.1

erose7

Reaction score
That makes 3 of us. I have the same issue as well.:icon_ banana:

Droid#64

Reaction score
Mine does the same thing when plugged in you cannot turn it off it turns right back on to lock screen??

Tony Stark

Reaction score
Having the same problem described.

I dont think its normal. POWER OFF is POWER OFF. If you turned off your computer and it kept powering up all by itself you'd call a computer exorcist. Imaging having to unplug your computer to FORCE it to shut down.

I just got my Droid last week and it WASN'T doing it. It started doing it last night. Nothing like picking up a very warm phone that the screen has been on overnight. Its not bad in the winter time, but I hope they get it fixed by summer!

Also, my wife got one the same day as well. Hers shuts down/off just fine while plugged in.

Just my thoughts.

hisself

Reaction score
Verizon said. . .

I called Verizon tech support, and after putting me on hold for 10 minutes whilst he called Motorola (probably in Sri Lanka), the 'tech' told me that this is a bug which Motorola is trying to figure out how to fix.

I have never heard of such a thing. . . When I was growing up, once electricity was discovered and harnessed, I learned that when you press the off button, the device went off!

Last edited by a moderator:

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I called Verizon tech support, and after putting me on hold for 10 minutes whilst he called Motorola (probably in Sri Lanka), the 'tech' told me that this is a bug which Motorola is trying to figure out how to fix.

I have never heard of such a thing. . . When I was growing up, once electricity was discovered and harnessed, I learned that when you press the off button, the device went off! This 'bug' sounds like it was created by a Democrat congressperson. Off doesn't really mean off any more.

I've never understood this to be a bug, but set up so you could use it with the multimedia dock. Perhaps it would be better if it turned off, but wouldn't if it detected the magnet, but hey.

Right now I'm charging with the USB connected to a computer. It's off now.

Darkseider

Reaction score
Same story here. When the phone is using the wall wart no matter how or when I try to shut it off it comes back on. Never tried when charging via USB because I am usually listening to Pandora. I will try turning it off while charging over USB to see if it stays off.

newb2droid

Reaction score
i'm in the boat too! rowing upstream, as usual...

i just upgraded to 2.2 on the weekend.
my phone died during use 2nite. i put it on the charger. it powered up. i powered it down. exactly 1 minute passed. droid powered up again. ::repeat 5xs::
so i just did a google search and found you guys. is there a power setting somewhere?
this thing wastes A LOT of power! <i do love it though!>

And just to add my own experience: when the phone is plugged in and I turn it off it turns back on again. I'm on 2.0.