Droid will not make or recieve calls and wont send or recieve messages

Ajharlan45

Reaction score
Hi, I am a new user on this site. My brother and I have had our Droids since christmas and have had no problems with them. However today we have both run into a snag. Our phones will intermittently not receive or send text messages, and will not receive or make phone calls. It is not the coverage that is lacking, we have full coverage when this happens. Then after a little bit the phone will start to work perfectly again. All of the messages that were sent during the period of time when it is not functioning are all received at once sometimes from hours after they were originally sent. Also during this time period calls are not received, the phone neither rings or shows any sign of having missed a call. The person calling us says that it just rings until it goes to voice mail, yet we receive no sign that any of this happened. If we try to make a call the phone simply says connecting, it will not ring or anything and eventually times out. All other functions on the phone work perfectly though, we still receive email and i have been able to chat with others on gmail talk with out incident, it is only text messaging and phone calls that don't work. Also the time periods when the problems occur seem to happen around approximately the same times, we will both receive no messages for a time, and then get all of them at once, around the same times. I dont know what could be causing this. Has anyone else had a problem like this? Is there any way to fix it? We would greatly appreciate any advice or assistance anyone might have, thank you.

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
:welcome: to the forum ajharlan :D i know you said you have full coverage but i've had this problem before and it lasts sometimes 2 days at a time. i could swear maybe they're working on a tower or something, especially since you say you BOTH are having the same trouble. are you rooted? stock? just in case someone knows something else...i think they'll need more info. good luck:D

JessiesGirl

Reaction score
Is there any chance that you have accidentally set the phone to Airplane Mode? That would do it!

If it's happening to both of you simultaneously, there may be a problem with your carrier. Probably should contact them when this occurs.

Last edited:
OP
A

Ajharlan45

Reaction score
I just checked and no it is not in airplane mode, thank you though JessiesGirl. Corinacakes, I am not sure what you mean by rooted or stock?

JCo352

Reaction score
I just checked and no it is not in airplane mode, thank you though JessiesGirl. Corinacakes, I am not sure what you mean by rooted or stock?

Lol that means you're stock. Maybe try *228 option 2.

therussellrobertson

Reaction score
calls

yeah i have the same problem with my phone, i have the droid eris tho , for about a month now i have had a heck of a time recieving any calls and texting is the same , i 'll recieve texts hours after they were sent . i sware i've been on the phone with verison about 20 or 30 times now about this problem but no one can give me an answer of what the problem could be , funny thing is i live in a small town set in between 2 larger towns with verison towers in both towns and yet my phone is acting up constantly , now i dont know if its just verison or what but when i was with altell before they switched and i had a simple slider phone i never had any problems . i really wish i could get an answer soon so i can actually use my phone instead of just looking at it !!!

Reaction score
My wife had the eris, and she could not recieve calls for a few hours. I walked her through ( she is very electonic challenged) a battery pull, and the tower find thing (*228), and she has had no problems since then.

therussellrobertson

Reaction score
wooohooo my phone is working good now, i called verison again after about 30 calls to the tech department and they gave me someone that actually new what they were doing , anyway turned out it was a tower problem , my wifes droid was useing about 10 towers wich gave her phone signal but my phone was only useing 2 towers wich is why my phone was not recieving calls or texts , hope you can get your problems fixed to ajharlan45 , i know how fustrating these phones can be , anyway good luck

InOmniaParatus44

Reaction score
I'm having a similar problem right now. I can't receive or make phone calls and I can't send or receive text messages but my parents who both have Verizon as well aren't having any problems. My phone is showing that I have signal yet I'm getting nothing. I can't even call my voicemail. Any suggestions would be great. Oh, and my phone is a Droid 2.

Johnnymachine

Reaction score
I had exactly these symptoms using a Samsung Galaxy Ace on Orange in the UK. I couldn't make calls; the "Call Not Sent" message popped up immediately, though it seemed to carry on trying, i.e. if you tried to do something else, it would tell you a call was still in progress. Only powering down would end this process. When I called the mobile from a landline, I'd get ringing tone on the landline, but the mobile didn't react at all. Eventually, it went to voicemail. Also, the Notification bar at the top of the screen glowed bright green, and when powering on, the "Emergency Calls Only" message flashed up briefly top right of screen. I tried powering off and taking out the battery, but it didn't work. However, I tried again some time later, left the battery out for a good 5 minutes, gave the SIM card a bit of a rub on a clean cloth. Re-powered, bingo! Connectivity, all OK so far.