Droid vs mountain-top cold

Daragonis

Reaction score
I had a question about the droid and its durability. I ski, and when I used to use my old krzr, when id take it up with me the screen would begin to delay changes. I'm sure it wasn't great for it but it was a temp. Now that I have a much more expensive and sensitive device, I wanted some advice for keepin it warm in -3 degree weather.. I kept my LG Voyager inside my coat pocket and it never had any issues but, again, less sensitive and id rather be safe then sorry. I have to take my phone up with me for communication in case I have to give any lessons. I'm thinking (kinda silly heh) about putting hand warmers in my inside jacket pocket with the phone to keep it warm while I ski. Any suggestions?

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
maybe one of the Droid pouches? or a fleece lined pouch like they make for glass ware to be transported :)

OP
Daragonis

Daragonis

Reaction score
Correct or not, I always have been a little overbearing with my electronics (expensive ones lol) like leaving the car on while I went into the store to keep my laptop warm. Ill do what's necessary to keep it safe. Like I said I unfortunately do need it and am very concerned about it getting damaged like most other Droid owners, I'm sure.

OP
Daragonis

Daragonis

Reaction score
neat

lcd screens will freeze from -15C to -40C.

That's actually an interesting little tidbit I didn't know before. So.. damage to the screen is pretty unlikely, yes?
What about internally? (Actually, technically I guess eveything save the cover is internal...anyway)
Is there a risk of anything else on the phone malfunctioning due to the low temps?
Thanks for everyone's replies btw. I appreciate people staying on track :)
My last post was less then productive relating to what id asked =/

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I meant putting the Droid in a pouch and keeping the pouch say, in the front inside pocket of a snowboard coat... would get cold but I'd think your body heat might be enough to keep it from freezing.... just an idea

billyidle

Reaction score
I have used PDA's and cell phones with LCD screens in -10 F and below temperatures for many years and never had a problem, ever. If you left your phone outside at night, and came back in the morning, you would certainly notice a difference until it warmed up. I'm sure damage could occur to the screen over the course of the night if it was very cold and you left your phone exposed to the elements, but if you're in a snowy environment, I would say the moisture is a far worse thing than temperature anyhow.
With regular usage on your part, meaning, not leaving the phone outdoors unprotected for extended periods of time, you will have no trouble.
Regular usage of your phone would include you having the power on. Inside of a pocket, the battery would easily produce enough heat to keep everything safe.

Last edited:
OP
Daragonis

Daragonis

Reaction score
lcd screens will freeze from -15C to -40C.

I meant putting the Droid in a pouch and keeping the pouch say, in the front inside pocket of a snowboard coat... would get cold but I'd think your body heat might be enough to keep it from freezing.... just an idea

Actually I'd been considering getting a case anyway because I absolutely do not trust our new puppy and his...talents...of climbing up to places I leave important things so he won't get them...but additonally a soft case maybe not a bad idea.

OP
Daragonis

Daragonis

Reaction score
I have used PDA's and cell phones with LCD screens in -10 F and below temperatures for many years and never had a problem, ever. If you left your phone outside at night, and came back in the morning, you would certainly notice a difference until it warmed up. I'm sure damage could occur to the screen over the course of the night if it was very cold and you left your phone exposed to the elements, but if you're in a snowy environment, I would say the moisture is a far worse thing than temperature anyhow.
With regular usage on your part, meaning, not leaving the phone outdoors unprotected for extended periods of time, you will have no trouble.
Regular usage of your phone would include you having the power on. Inside of a pocket, the battery would easily produce enough heat to keep everything safe.

Really? The battery by itself could produce and maintain a temp to avoid damage? That's impressive really. And reassuring. Thanks :) ill just make sure to keep it tucked away and watch them little snowflakes.

billyidle

Reaction score
In a pocket in a ski jacket? Sure.
I have skied all my life, and always have a cell phone or pda with me.
The only times I ever had any noticeable changes was if I left them in the car all night, or a very cold day. But as soon as the device physically warmed up, it was back to normal.
If you are skiing on a mountain, with a Droid in your pocket, temperature damage is the LEAST of your worries, trust me on that one :mad: I've had phones slip out of pockets during crashes, crushed underneath in falls, and soaked with snow. Never worried about it being too cold for the phone.

billyidle

Reaction score
And I would be far more worried about leaving your Droid in a pocket sitting against a chemical hand warmer IMO. Depending on the type you use, 120+ F temperatures on contact would certainly not be a good thing.

OP
Daragonis

Daragonis

Reaction score
Actually, after posting my hand warmer idea, I realized how counter productive it was to risk overheating it instead of freezing it was, haha.