Droid video recorder

jismail

Reaction score
Sheesh, I must be really dense but I was trying to film some Christmas lights last night and for the life of me, I couldnt figure out how to zoom with the vidieo camera, i know it must be there - is it hiding in plain sight?

In addition, everything is so dark... can you adjust exposure at all ?

Finally, is there a better replacment app for the camera and video recorder that will still activate the LED and utilize the buttons?

LordKastle

Reaction score
Don't know about zoom I do not think the function exists for the camera or video...if you want the LED to turn on for the video whenever you want you should download a flashlight app. One that is free is called MotoTorch LED and simply activate it on the app and then turn on the video camera.

AlphaDroid

Reaction score
The video camera does poorly in low light situations. Daylight, open shade and well lit outdoor scenes and home/business interior lighting works the best. I speak from experience with the Droid. Conditions where you can clearly see and meets building code standards, can be insufficient for the Droid to record an image. The droid does poorly in dark or semi dark areas. The video camera, like most video cameras want a lot of light. It's the nature of the beast.

There is no zoom for the video camera. Does anyone know if there is an app for the video camera that would control aperature and zoom...?

Last edited:

Laurence5905

Reaction score
You can zoom when taking a still-photo. Tap the screen inside the picture "frame" and it will show the zoom in-out buttons on the screen. Simply tap those buttons to zoom in or out before snapping your picture. This is a digital-zoom, not an optical zoom (in other words, the picture quality is worse when zoomed in, because it's using a smaller portion of the CCD to take the picture.)

There is no zoom function for video recording.

OP
J

jismail

Reaction score
You can zoom when taking a still-photo. Tap the screen inside the picture "frame" and it will show the zoom in-out buttons on the screen. Simply tap those buttons to zoom in or out before snapping your picture. This is a digital-zoom, not an optical zoom (in other words, the picture quality is worse when zoomed in, because it's using a smaller portion of the CCD to take the picture.)

seems to me that if they can do digital zoom in still mode, they should be able to have digital zoom in video mode... it is the same program and hardware being used for both....

mcm180

Reaction score
The storm used to let me zoom in and then start recording video

:-(

nate94gt

Reaction score
a zoom for the camcorder would be awesome. I wish you could also use the volume controls to zoom instead of the on screen buttons.

dawningmoment

Reaction score
Well there are some camera apps on the market to replace the default doohickey. But they all cost something except for one that isn't Droid ready. They also don't mention if it's digital zoom or not nor anything about zoom for video.

Last edited:

ThermalGuy

Reaction score

Even though it is a "digital" zoom, the resolution is good enough that it may not matter. I'm going to check it out.
Dana

windstrings

Reaction score
I agree.. even though the quality drops.... the alternative is to have to edit it later with some elaborate software on a computer.

If your in an audience and trying to catch the speaker up front, or a boat out in the water, or a parasailor etc... zoom is needed right up front with some image stabilization too.
I'm surprised no one has made an app for this yet.... surely the hardware is not limited.

I also don't like being limited to 30min for HD video either.